"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Head Chef

O yeah. I forgot that trick . Brown paper bag and popcorn, nothing else in there. I can't handle microwave pc. Used to have that smell ALL day long wafting from the break room at the cubicle farm.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Popcorn in pan with a bit of oil, JollyTime...then shake the stove.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
Head Chef

Definitely Orville Redenbacher yellow corn (stovetop, not microwave). I used to use Jolly Time, but once I tried Orville's, there was no turning back - it's so superior.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
O yeah. I forgot that trick . Brown paper bag and popcorn, nothing else in there. I can't handle microwave pc. Used to have that smell ALL day long wafting from the break room at the cubicle farm.
And no one told me.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Definitely Orville Redenbacher yellow corn (stovetop, not microwave). I used to use Jolly Time, but once I tried Orville's, there was no turning back - it's so superior.
OR for me too. Although I hate to break the news to ya all folks, but my people taught your people all about corn. But they never told me about the paper bag. Oh yeah. They didn't have microwaves back then. They weren't even in the majority of homes when my kids were growing up.

I used to use my big stock pot, make a pot of popcorn in oil on top of the stove, melt butter and I had that popcorn salt. Put it all in a big paper bag, pour the butter over it, and shake like mad. While the kids were sitting outside eating it, I would make a couple of big pitchers of ice tea. They thought they were really getting a big treat. Plastic glasses galore! A large grocery bag holds a lot of popcorn. Enough for the neighbor's kids. And what fell on the ground made the birds very happy.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

addie, you are native american?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
addie, you are native American?
Yes. Our tribe is located in Paris and Old Town Maine. Passamaquoddy. I think I have it spelled right. I can never remember it. My father was Native American and my mother English.

My grandfather first immigrated to N.S. in Canada looking for work. Then he migrated to Massachusetts. Anytime someone asks me my nationality, I always state the Indian first. Unfortunately the only Indian thing I have ever done is open a can of corn. I seem to be the only one in the family that embraces my heritage. My niece has photos from the turn of the century of our ancestors. She is the keeper of the family records. A distant relative started a family tree and was able to trace the tribe back to the early 1700's.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I have an air popper and one of those stovetop ones. I prefer stovetop. I too use coconut oil in the pan, the brown paper bag, Kosher salt, curry powder, butter, and then I put Frank's Hot Sauce on top when eating it.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Yes. Our tribe is located in Paris and Old Town Maine. Passamaquoddy. I think I have it spelled right. I can never remember it. My father was Native American and my mother English.

My grandfather first immigrated to N.S. in Canada looking for work. Then he migrated to Massachusetts. Anytime someone asks me my nationality, I always state the Indian first. Unfortunately the only Indian thing I have ever done is open a can of corn. I seem to be the only one in the family that embraces my heritage. My niece has photos from the turn of the century of our ancestors. She is the keeper of the family records. A distant relative started a family tree and was able to trace the tribe back to the early 1700's.
My dad grew up in Old Town Maine, and I grew up not far from there. The Penobscot river had a few large islands, Indian Island (the Penobscot Indian reservation) French island (the French settlement where my dad grew up) and Marsh Island where everyone else lived!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
popping corn