"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Best popcorn?

I do not make or eat microwave popcorn. Or hot air popcorn for that matter. I make my popcorn in a big stock pot with coconut oil and real popping corn. I've mostly used Orville Reddenbachers, does anyone have something better? I don't do anything fancy with it, just butter and popcorn salt. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I use Orville's, too. And his butter flavored oil. I haven't found anything better.
I cook it using the old TV Time Popcorn instructions. I put the oil, salt and a couple kernels into the pot to heat up. When a kernel pops put the lid on and remove from heat for one minute. Then put it back on the heat, heat it back up and pop like you usually would.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Master Chef

We usually use JollyTime popcorn. It's a family thing since my grandfather and uncle grew popcorn for them when they were farming. They always got products at cost since they were part of the company. Sadly, grandpa is no longer with us and my uncle is retired.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Half Baked

I recently got a 20 dollar Orville Redenbacker hot air popper and all I can say are good things. Beats using a pot and no oil flavor. I will never go back.

We really like Blue and red premium popcorn from urbanaccents.com.
It was bought as gift from Kohls from my wife. The kernels don't pop as big as Jolly Time or orville's but the texture and flavor are great. I get compliments on how good the popcorn is. That never happened before.

Also check out Wabash valley farms or google premium blue popcorn. I may get that next to try. Price is a little better.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Head Chef

Favorite = Cracker Jax. When they used to put a Real toy surprise inside.

Jolly time. current. Sometimes Orvilles.

I like my hot air popper. I toss the popped corn with lots of melted butter and it's one of a few things where I allow a moderate sprinkling of salt. I used to toss with brewer's yeast, -- haven't done this in a long time. I have been mostly staying indoors, watching old movies lately. Lots of popcorn.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm kind of biased because of my connection to the CubScouts, but it really is high quality (albeit pricey) stuff.

they sell many flavours of already popped corn which are all very tasty but ridiculously overpriced. 75% of the cost goes to the scouts, but it's a tough sell.

however, the "loose" kernels for popping machines and such is of excellent quality and is their lowest cost item.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm kind of biased because of my connection to the CubScouts, but it really is high quality (albeit pricey) stuff.

they sell many flavours of already popped corn which are all very tasty but ridiculously overpriced. 75% of the cost goes to the scouts, but it's a tough sell.

however, the "loose" kernels for popping machines and such is of excellent quality and is their lowest cost item.
I agree, BT, very good, but wow, the markup! We always buy some anyway.

I got some Amish kernals a while back. They were tiny, but made delicious stovetop popcorn. Ladyfinger or something like that?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for you support, dawg.

the loose kernels are pretty big, and 2.5 lbs. of yellow corn for $10 isn't a bad deal considering it helps scouting and is high quality.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Everymom

I buy Boy Scout popcorn when the boys come around too. We go through a LOT of popcorn though so I buy the stuff at Costco. We have a hot air popper and its my favorite way to do it. In a pinch I'll do it in a paper bag in the microwave though. Nifty trick.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I buy Boy Scout popcorn when the boys come around too. We go through a LOT of popcorn though so I buy the stuff at Costco. We have a hot air popper and its my favorite way to do it. In a pinch I'll do it in a paper bag in the microwave though. Nifty trick.
Just a regualr paper bag and loose kernals in a jar? Huh? I don't like using the micro products. Too many harmful chemicals in the packaged items. Care to expound?

Tags
popping corn