"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Boiled Green Peanuts

Boiled Green Peanuts
5 lbs of Green Peanuts.....
1 Cup of Crab Boil per 5 Lbs of Peanuts....
1 Bag of Crab Boil....
Water to cover......

Boil/Simmer (covered) until peanuts are almost done....I like them slightly al dente. ~~Time will depend of size and maturity of peanuts....
When done to your liking...Turn off the heat and let the Spicy soak begin...Taste a few along to check for saltiness....The water will generally be cool when the soak has worked its magic. ~~~

Great Snack for Football Games!!!!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've always wanted to try these but there aren't a lot of sources for green peanuts in the Northeast.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Raw peanuts (green peanuts which have been dried) make good boiled peanuts too - and are more readily available.
You don't add any salt, Uncle Bob - just the Zatarain's?
Old 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
Raw peanuts (green peanuts which have been dried) make good boiled peanuts too - and are more readily available.
You don't add any salt, Uncle Bob - just the Zatarain's?
The first ingredient in powdered crab boil *is* salt! No need to add extra.
The bag Crab Boil contains no salt. I've never tried the in shell dry peanuts myself, but have eaten them from a road side stand out of season that I assumed were dry....
Meh....they were just Ok to me....Certainly better than No boiled p-nuts however

Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Our neighbor at the farm brought us two 5 gallon buckets of green peanuts. We shared them with several family members and kept some for ourselves to eat raw. We still have boiled peanuts in the freezer from last year.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The first ingredient in powdered crab boil *is* salt! No need to add extra.
The bag Crab Boil contains no salt. I've never tried the in shell dry peanuts myself, but have eaten them from a road side stand out of season that I assumed were dry....
Meh....they were just Ok to me....Certainly better than No boiled p-nuts however
Okay - just asking - I've never used powdered crab boil - only the liquid crab boil and the stuff in the bag... and have never made boiled peanuts with anything but salt added... am excited to try this. I think the dry peanuts require even more soaking time, but we like them.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

When do peanuts go from "green" to "ripe"?..

heck, it's September here...

are'nt they ready for Harvest yet?

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
Okay - just asking - I've never used powdered crab boil - only the liquid crab boil and the stuff in the bag... and have never made boiled peanuts with anything but salt added... am excited to try this. I think the dry peanuts require even more soaking time, but we like them.
Sharon, I'm excited for you to try boiled (in Crab Boil) peanuts...using either the green or dry ones...Green ones should be all over your area!! ~~ Look for the dry powder....There are three...Regular, Spicy, and Pro. All are good, but the spicy is better than the regular, and the Pro Boil Rocks!!!

Liquid Boil is Ok. A lot of people use it...I find it has an "artificial" twang...Full disclosure.... I have a big bottle, and I've been guilty of using a small splash when boiling a sack of crawfish...but not with out a full jar of dry powder... and bags.

Don't let the size of the Dry powder jars intimidate you...The stuff has lots of uses....Good with just boiled corn, and can be used anywhere as a substitute for salt. Hush! don't tell anyone.... Try a little sprinkled on fried chicken as it comes out of the pot....

Have Fun!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
When do peanuts go from "green" to "ripe"?..

heck, it's September here...

are'nt they ready for Harvest yet?

Eric, Austin Tx.
Hey Eric....Forgot to get back to you till now....

Yes they are ready for harvest....Here anyway. ~~ I associate late August early September with green/boiled peanuts. This year they were available in early August ..The first ones I bought were a little immature for my liking though....Severe drought in Texas may have destroyed the crops..or there may not be a market for green/boiled peanuts in your area...I dunno~~~ Let your fingers do the walking and call several of your stores...Hopefully you'll strike it rich!! ~~~Good Luck finding some!!

Tags
recipe

Boiled Green Peanuts [CENTER][CENTER][B]Boiled Green Peanuts[/B][/CENTER][/CENTER] [CENTER][CENTER][B] [/B][/CENTER][/CENTER] [CENTER][CENTER][B] [/B][/CENTER][/CENTER] [CENTER][CENTER][B] [/B][/CENTER][/CENTER] [B]5 lbs of Green Peanuts.....[/B] [B]1 Cup of Crab Boil per 5 Lbs of Peanuts....[/B] [B]1 Bag of Crab Boil....[/B] [B]Water to cover......[/B] [B] [/B] [B]Boil/Simmer (covered) until peanuts are almost done....I like them slightly al dente. ~~Time will depend of size and maturity of peanuts....[/B] [B]When done to your liking...Turn off the heat and let the Spicy soak begin...Taste a few along to check for saltiness....The water will generally be cool when the soak has worked its magic. ~~~ [/B] [B] [/B] [B]Great Snack for Football Games!!!![/B] [B] [/B] [B]Enjoy! [/B] [B][/B] [B][/B] [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/img2765oe.jpg/][IMG]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7338/img2765oe.jpg[/IMG][/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews