Bruschetta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
A couple of appetizers flopped the family taste test and I was thinking of making bruschetta, but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea or not. I know that I could slice bread before hand, chop whatever veggies I will be using, but not sure I am not expecting too much from the people who will be watching over everything while pictures are being taken.....yeah my niece insists that I will be in the family wedding pictures. I have never made (nor eaten...yeah, I know, I live in a cave) bruschetta before, so have no clue how much would have to be done at the last minute and I don't want to overload the poor people who will have to face all those hungry people. Is there an easy recipe that can be done ahead or is this one of those things that have to be made and eaten immediately?

hmm... you could slice the bread before... and everyting else.. but you should count with at least 20min preparations...
I love Bruschetta with tomatos and mozarella!!

but why not try it a few days earlier? So you know what to do and maybe you find out whats still missing..

Depends on the type of bruschetta being made.

Aside from the traditional plain bruschetta (toasted bread rubbed with cut garlic and drizzled with oil), the most common is generally made with tomato, basil, red onion, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar (generally either red wine or balsamic).

You can very easily prepare the tomato mixture well beforehand, indeed it will benefit from marinating as this will help the flavours blend together. Your biggest problem, I imagine, would be the toasting of the bread as close to service as possible.

Assuming, once again, that you would make the tomato bruschetta then it is something that is perhaps eaten as soon as possible. However, as it sits all the lovely juices from the tomato, oil and vinegar will soak into the bread. It is debateable whether this is desirable or not, however I would have no qualms whatsoever about eating it as I love it when the bread absorbs all of the flavours.

Bruschetta is one of the traditional favourites in Rome, Italy, where I have been living for the last 3 years, thus I have learned a fool proof recipe... I hope this will help you. I just can't imagine anyone who wouldn't enjoy a hearty slice of bruschetta!!:-p

Ingredients:
- a big slice of crusty bread / or two medium
- 1 big ripe but firm tomato, diced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (you don't have to use all of it)
- some fresh basil leaves, (if not available, a sprinkle of dried basil flakes)
- salt

I can tell you two ways to prepare this. One traditional, and the second a little modified for those who are worried about the "lethal aftereffect" of eating a raw garlic.

1. Traditional = broil the both side of the bread slice golden brown*. Cut the clove of the garlic in half, rub it onto one side of the bread evenly (as much or as little as you like). Heap the diced tomato on top, drizzle the olive oil, garnish with basil and salt to taste.

(*When you cook the bread on the broil setting in the oven, it can cook very quickly, so you need to watch it closely in order not to burn it (do not walk away to do something else!!). It will give you the crunchy and well-toasted surface while the inside still remain soft, yum!!)

2. Modified = mince or chop in very little pieces the garlic, then fry it in the olive oil... make sure to remove from the heat as soon as the garlic starts to colour lightly. They continue to cook in the hot oil for a while, so it is important to turn off the heat a little early not to burn them!! Brush this oil/garlic mixture onto one side the broiled bread (see the traditional method), then diced tomato, basil and salt.

However, there are many, many variations. Instead of tomatoes, you can also use, for example grilled bell pepper, aubergene, artichoke, mushrooms, with or without cheese, just use your imagination. The key is to use a hearty crusty bread, and a good quality evoo!

i don't use basil but origano and the tomato is cut to little cubes! the garlic: i scour it only on the surface of the bread for giving a light taste.
bruschetta is very good!:chef:

Last edited:
I've done bru as an appy for a party as large as yours, as part of a 'Tuscan table'. My only caveat is that you cannot toast the bread beforehand; just gets stale-tasting. We used to do it in the ovens, on big baking sheets but you have to watch it closely. Burned toast smells awful wafting out into the reception hall! So if you don't have the help or can't oversee the bread toasting yourself, I'd pass - or maybe think about using those little Italian 'toasts' you can buy in packages already made up. I've gotten them at Costco pretty reasonably.

In addition to the tomato bru, we also made one with fresh mozz, basil, garlic, and olive oil.

Also on the "Tuscan table" were an orange marinated olive platter, a white bean/garlic dip, a marinated artichoke antipasto, and a proscuitto/melon, proscuitto/fig platter.

Icy, my best recommendation to you at this point is to go with something you know. Experimenting with a dish for any party - no matter how big - is just asking for trouble. :)

Fundamentally, I agree with Haggis. Bruschetta is something that you should prepare at the moment, not before than a quarter of hour. There are a lot of types, but, in everyone, the main characteristic is a good warm bread, with oil and garlic. I remember that a lot of years ago, I and a friend of mine ate a lot of them, trying to decide what sequence was better: garlic, grill, oil/grill, garlic, oil/ garlic, oil, grill.:LOL:
If you have to prepare for many persons, I could give you a suggestion , that could reveal interesting and curious.
Prepare a couple of toast machines, or a table grill, if you have, and the necessary amount of bread. Then, aside, the ingredients for two or three types of bruschetta. Oil, garlic, anchovies, parsley, vinegar(?), minced tomatoes, mushrooms....what you like. Then, the pictures of the types of bruschetta with their recipes.....and leave your guests free to prepare them by thenmselves. Of course, this is possible if bruschetta is ONE appetizer in a buffet....

Thank you everybody. Since I will not be able to oversee what is going on for at least 45 minutes after people are arriving at reception, I think that I will pass on the bruschetta. A couple of the people who will be helping I can trust.....several who can burn water.....others unknown. Too iffy for my liking. Besides, I started adding up the appys with some type of bread in/on/surrounded by and was startled to realize that most of them have bread of some sort. ARGGGGG If you have kids......pay them to elope!!!!

I would make the bruschetta just prior to serving, so the ingredients will be fresh and nothing will get soggy. This is not bruschetta, but an idea to make ahead. You can alter the toppings to suit your taste -- just about any toppings you like on a pizza -- bay shrimp, shrooms, on & on; and slice the bread thinly as appys. Make up a few varieties of loaves, and mix them up on the platters.

frenchbread.html

Last edited:
Bumping it up, since we were down for a bit.:) Lost it when I wanted to add, you can add almost any toppings of choice -- bay shrimp, shrooms, on and on; wrap it up, put it in the freezer and heat it up.

Last edited:
mish said:
I would make the bruschetta just prior to serving, so the ingredients will be fresh and nothing will get soggy. This is not bruschetta, but an idea to make ahead. You can alter the toppings to suit your taste -- just about any toppings you like on a pizza -- bay shrimp, shrooms, on & on; and slice the bread thinly as appys. Make up a few varieties of loaves, and mix them up on the platters.

frenchbread.html

TY Mish, looks good. :)

I made it for the first time just a couple of days back from a link that Michael had given me. It was delicious!

http://www.versatilevinegar.org/recipes.html#4

Instead of the olive oil I smeared some flavoured butter. In it I put minced garlic, dried italian herbs and some chilli flakes. Infact if you just want some cripsy bread with a hot cup of tea you could just bake this without the tomato and cheese.

Hey gang. Get real.

Serving Bruschetta at a houseparty (in your own home) to about 10-20 guests is just not feasible unlesss you have a cook.

It is perfect for two (or even four) but Bruschetta for more than that - no way.

Italian bruschetta

Hi IcyMist, I love bruschetta too!
The original Italian version is with tomatoes, olive oil, basil (fresh is better), salt and garlic.
First, cut tomatoes in small cubes and marinate them with olive oil, salt and basil, minimum 30 minutes, to let the oils of basil and tomatoes melt together.
Then take the bread slices and bake them for a few minutes, on both sides.
When they're still warm, take one garlic clove and rub it on bread. A drop of oil, and just add the tomatoes.

If you prefer, you can cook tomatoes: I'd rather prefer first version, anyway some people like warm bruschetta.
In this case instead of marinating, cook them with oil and salt, as far as they become soft.

In my web site I published other appetizer to combine to this.
Good appetite!
Simona

marmalady said:
Do you have your basic cheese and fruit platters? Quick, easy, - and no bread!

It depends on cheese, of course, but I really like to combine 'pecorino chees' with pears or grapes (fresh fruits) and honey, expecially chestnut tree quality.
I cut pecorino in small slices and lay into a wide dish, next to pear slices and a small cup of honey and walnut. Otherwise you can drop honey (drop by drop how to decorate) directly on chees.
During winter time, instead of fresh pears I use pear jam. If you like I'll publish here the recipe for Pear Jam with Red Wine.
Simona

Yum, I love pecorino with pear, too!!

simonaskitchen said:
During winter time, instead of fresh pears I use pear jam. If you like I'll publish here the recipe for Pear Jam with Red Wine.
Simona

Si si, x favore!! Sounds delicious!!:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom