Buffalo Chicken Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wings

How do you make your chicken wings...fried,baked or broiled? Also what is your favorite dipping sauce? Need to try them for the Super Bowl. Any help will be appreciated.

You have many great replies re "Buffalo" wings. Re how do I make chicken wings, there are several different ways, i.e. teriyaki, key lime, Empress Wings (from Kikkoman), lemonade, etc. The wings can be dipped in tempura batter & fried, and the dipping sauce(s) can vary from guacamole w/ sour cream, etc. Personally, I'm not a fan of hot & spicy, but there are many ways to go re wings.

Last edited:
Wish I'd thought of the scissors, but I got them separated with my chef's knife. The ti[ps are in the freezer to use in stock.Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions.

I have to make mine gluten and butter free. I have a boning knife which makes short work of separating them though often I leave them whole. If I do separate them, I usually do the tips as well or save them for stock.

For 4 - 5 pounds of wings I use 2 - 3 tablespoons of hot sauce (I usually use Frank's), 2 tablespoons oil (I use sunflower), salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. I whisk it together and coat the wings. I let them sit at least 30 minutes but you can do this even overnight. I then coat them in enough flour that they are coated but you can still see the hot sauce on them.

I use a large (or two) baking sheet with sides - don't cover with foil because the wings will stick to it. Spray the pan lightly with oil and lay the wings so they aren't touching each other. Lightly spray the tops of the wings with oil." Bake in a 400 F oven for 30 - 45 minutes or until crispy and done inside. Use a spatula to loosen the wings immediately after they come out of the oven to retain the crisp coating.

* I use a gluten free flour blend of 2-1-1 White rice, tapioca starch and potato starch. Regular all purpose flour can be used but the rice flour blend really helps in the crisp light coating. I use 3/4 to 1 cup.

Most people would now make a Frank's Red Hot and butter sauce to pour over the wings but we can't have it and I haven't developed something yet that works. We don't miss it as the wings have a kick of their own! :)

Almost no one in our family appreciates hot spicy food, and here I am the outlaw of the family and presumably the only Scandinavian member, I do like Buffalo wings. I make different sauce which still complements the wings, with only a hint of heat.

I bought boneless chicken tenders, will be baking them and then saucing. Have to stay on the low-fat side of the spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom