"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #21
Head Chef
Here are some recipes that I find are usually gone by the end of the pary.

Gouda with grape jam and grapes as decoration is always simple and popular. Serve with wheat thins and assorted crackers

Cucumber spread
2 cucumbers, unpeeled and grated
1 small onion, grated
1 8oz. cream cheese
2 T. salad dressing
1/2 t. seasones salt
1/4 t. lemon juice

Place cucumber and onion on paper towel and squeeze out moisture. Beat cream cheese until smooth and stir in vegetables, salad dressing, and salt. Add lemon juice. Serve spread with fresh vegetables and diced bread cubes. This one is very light

Tex Mex Dip
1st layer
2 cans Frito Lay bean dip (white label)
-once I couldn't find this so I used a jared black bean dip and it worked wonderfully

2nd layer
3 ripe avocados
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

3rd layer
1 8oz. sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 package taco seasoning mix

Remaining layers
1 bunch green scallions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can black olives, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
Longhorn Cheese, grated
Fritos or Doritos

Layer ingredients in order given. Serve

Custom Mixed Salad
You can substitute whatever you like in this

1 green pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped (soak in ice water to sweeten flavor)
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 can artichokes, chopped
1 can hearts of palm, chopped
Selection of cheeses, chopped, I use 8oz sharp cheddar and 8oz mild white cheese
green olives

Add whatever else sounds good, pepperchinies, peas, celery, feta cheese.
Put in large bowl and toss with Italian Robusto salad dressing.

abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:46 PM   #22
Head Chef

The Mississippi Sin recipe you posted is AWESOME!! I've made it several times, and found that you really need TWO loaves of bread - one to fill and one to use as dippers. Or you can use a variety of flavored fresh bagels, cut in "coins", as dippers. This stuff is GREAT!

A quick, easy, but impressive idea is to set a large wedge of Brie on a glass pie plate. Pat some sliced almonds around the cheese and pour 2 T of dry white wine in over it. Nuke just until the cheese begins to melt (watch it closely). Serve with sliced French bagette or, again, bagel slices.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #23
Master Chef
Bourbon Cocktail Sausages

2 lb. cocktail sausages
3/4 c. Bourbon (Jim Beam)
1 1/2 c. Catsup
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 small onion, chopped

Mix bourbon, catsup, brown sugar and onion. Pour over hot dogs in an electric skillet, and simmer 45 minutes. Serve with toothpicks.

Layered Athenian Cheese Spread

2 (8 oz., each) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
2 (4 oz., each) crumbled feta cheese
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
1 (7 oz.) jar sweet roasted red or cherry peppers, drained and patted dry
1/3 cup almonds, chopped
Assorted crackers

Combine cream cheese and feta cheese in medium bowl. Stir in pressed garlic and drained spinach. Chop peppers. Line mold with plastic wrap. Divide cheese mixture in half. Press half of the cheese mixture into mold; top with peppers. Spread remaining cheese over red peppers. Cover and refrigerate several hours to allow flavors to blend. To serve, invert onto serving plate. Remove plastic wrap. Press almonds onto top of molded cheese. Serve with assorted crackers or breadsticks. Makes 20 servings.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #24
Hospitality Queen
anyone have a cheese idea that isn't sweet or tex-mex without any beer or alcohol?
(need new year's game-night appetizers)
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #25
Head Chef
I'm not sure exactly what you looking for, but here is what I have. Maybe some of these will give you ideas.

Cheese Log

1 lb. draft old english cheese
2 small cream cheese
2 cloves garlic
1 cup pecans
chili powder
ritz crackers

Have cheeses at room temperature. Mix first 5 ingredients well. Make log like rolls and roll in chili powder. Serve with crackers. Can be frozen.
Makes 3 rolls.

Chili Cheese Dip

2 cans chili no beans
1 lb. velveeta cheese
doritos or fritos

Mix chili and cheese. Heat until melted. Serve hot as dip.

Cream Cheese and Pepper Jelly

1 8ox. cream cheese
1 jar red or green pepper jelly
ritz crackers

Top cream cheese with pepper jelly and serve with crackers

Cheese Straws

1 1/2 sticks butter
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 h3eaping cups flour, sifted
1 T. paprika
1 t. salt
1/2 t. red pepper
4 T. water

Allow butter and cheese to soften at room temp. Mix in rest of ingredients with electric mixer. Make strips with a cookie press on a cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for 40-60 minutes.

Triotrigona-From Creative Cookery
3 eggs
8 oz. cottge cheese
1/2 lb. feta cheese
1/2 lb. butter, melted and strained
filo dough

For filling: Mix crumbled feta and cottage cheese thoroughly. Add eggs one at a time and mix well.

Keep filo dough covered at all times. Drys out fast. Place one piece of filo on smooth surface and spray with butter Pam or brush with clear melted butter. Place 3/4 to 1 t. of filling on one end of filo dough and fold corner over to make a triangle. Continue folding side to side in a trigangle form. (similar to folding a flag). Place triangles in buttered baking pan side by side and brish tops generously with melted butter. Bake in moderate oven, 350 until golden brown, about 25 minutes.

Tomato Cheese Pinwheels
4-4.5 cups all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1 package 1/4 oz. active dry yeast
1-1/4 t. salt
3/4 cup warm tomato juice (120-130)
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 T. minced chives

In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Add tomato juice, water and butter; beat for 2 minutes on med. speed. Add egg and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until doubles.

Punch down. Divinde in 1/2. Roll each 1/2 into a 15"x12" rectangle appx 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 3" squares. Place 2" apart on greades baking sheet. Make 1" slits in each corner of each square. Bring every other corner up to center, overlapping slightly to form a pinwheel; press firmly. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Cool

Cheese and Spinach Puffs

1 (10oz.) package frozen chopped spinach
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 eggs. slightly beaten
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup blue cheese salsad dressing
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/8 t. garlic powder
1 (8.5 oz.) package corn muffin mix

In saucepan, combine spinach and onion and cook according to spinach package directions. Drain well, pressing out excess liquid. Combine eggs, cheeses, salad dressing, butter and garlic powder. Add spincah mixture and muffin mix. Shape dough into one inch balls and place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until litghtly browned. Serve warm. Makes about 60

These can be fr ozen, and when coming from the freezer, the baking time should be 12-15 minutes.

Pesto Cheese Blossoms by Paula Deen
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:45 PM   #26
Head Chef
Well, JKath, the simplest, but most expensive, thing to do is to get a variety of hard, soft and semi-soft cheeses and just make a board of them, served with a variety of crackers and maybe some different types of smoked and fresh-cooked sausages.

Alternately, an inexpensive but pain-in-the-neck idea is to make crab rangoon. People LOVE them, and you can form them in advance, but you have to man the deep fryer at the last minute. Maybe you can delegate the cooking to some guy who can watch the game at the same time and be happy. I make them with cream cheese, crabmeat and wonton wrappers. I think there is minced green onion and a little Worcestershire in there, too.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #27
Master Chef
Chicken Puffs

-1 c. water
-1/2 c. butter
-1 c. flour
-4 eggs
-chicken salad

Bring water and better to hard boil.Add in flour over low flame and beat till ball forms. (1 minute)beat in eggs individually.
Drop tsps. onto ungreased sheets. bake at 400 25 min. until dry and golden brown. cool and cut in half and fill with chicken salad.

spinach dip is an idea. i don't have a recipe at hand but i'm sure you could find one in just a few minutes.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #28
Old-Style, JKath, but very easy, try dicing fresh crispy dill pickle (discarding the seeds) and mixing with slightly warmed Cheese Whiz or equivalent, serve on fresh crusty roll halves...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #29
Hospitality Queen
You guys rock!

(PS - the "game" isn't on TV - it's where couples play board games all night on New Year's Eve...it's a safe alternative! ...and all of our kids look forward to it all year - they get to watch their favorite movies in another room)

Thanks all - the recipes sound amazing (as usual!!!)
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #30
JKath, if you are still following, I did a pretty good "spinach dip" recipe on this thread somewhere between 25 October and 5 November...if you like, PM me and I'll dig it out and pass it on...perennial favourite here, with pumpernikel bread and waterchestnut slices...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote