"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Old 12-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #41
Sous Chef
Gougères [French Cheese Puffs]

I made these for my building's holiday party. They're good and not expensive. You can make them ahead; you can refrigerate the dough and bake later, or bake, refrigerate (or freeze) and reheat. I think they're best warm but mine were just room temperature and they still disappeared fast.

I used Gruyère cheese but if I made them again, I'd substitute an aged cheddar or half swiss, half cheddar for a more cheesy taste. You can use milk or water. You can make them by hand, but a sturdy mixer makes it a lot easier to beat in the eggs.

Gougeres keep, chilled in sealable plastic bags 2 days or frozen 1 week. Reheat gougeres, uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven 10 minutes if chilled or 15 minutes if unthawed frozen

Gougères [French Cheese Puffs] MAKES ABOUT 30 GOUGÈRES
1 cup milk [can use water instead]
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick) [NOTE: or use salted butter and omit the following 1/4 tsp salt]
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper and/or ½ tsp dry mustard [optional]
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs [other recipes call for 4 eggs – have one in reserve]
1/2 teaspoon paprika [optional]
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese [reserve ~ 2 TBS to sprinkle on top]
1 1/2 cups [~ 7 oz] grated Swiss cheese (Emmenthaler or Gruyère) OR Cheddar

Combine flour and any dry spices you're using (cayenne pepper/dry mustard/paprika) in a small bowl and stir to mix.

In a medium saucepan, combine liquid, butter and salt. Turn heat to medium and bring contents to just short of a boil. Cook, stirring, until butter melts. Add flour/spice mixture all at once and cook, stirring constantly, until dough holds together in a ball, 5 minutes or less. Dough will get stiffer as you stir; keep stirring until dough is smooth. Transfer batter to a large mixing bowl or the workbowl of a mixer.

With a wooden spoon or sturdy mixer, beat the eggs into the dough one by one, beating thoroughly after each addition. Beat enough of the reserved beaten egg into the dough until it is shiny and just falls from he spoon, using as much egg as necessary.

Mix in the cheese(s) just to combine into dough.

Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter cookie sheet (or line a cookie sheet with a reusable nonstick baking mat or parchment paper). Using a tablespoon, scoop out a level tablespoon of the gougère dough, and push it off the spoon onto the cookie sheet. Continue making individual gougères, spacing them about 2-inches apart on the sheet. Sprinkle a few grains of coarse salt and a little of the reserved Parmesan cheese on each gougère. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until nicely browned and crisp. Serve lukewarm or at room temperature.

Here's what they look like

subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #42
Executive Chef
These look delicious. Thanks for posting your recipe.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #43
Senior Cook
This is a favorite appetizer of mine. I serve them in individual dishes with a side plate of sliced chorizo and serrano ham and some pickes.

Patatas Bravas:

A classic tapa! Patatas bravas - Crisp spiced potatoes
BrazenAmateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #44
Head Chef
Mke a frittata or two. Can be made the day before. Serve in wedges at roon temp.

Biscuits with sliced country (or less good city) ham.

Just two ideas.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #45
Assistant Cook
This is one of my all time favorites and is great because you can prepare it the day before. If you double this it should make enough to add to your spread.

BLT bruschetta
1 package of bacon, crispy cooked and crumbled
3-4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup chopped leafy green lettuce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1 minced clove of garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Approximately 1/3 cup olive oil
1 French bread loaf, cut in 1/4-inch slices

In medium bowl, stir together all topping ingredients (except bacon if making the day before)and set it aside. Brush olive oil on both sides of bread slices and bake on a baking sheet at 400 degrees. Bake for 7 minutes per side or until crisp and golden brown.

Mix bacon into the lettuce mixture right before serving so that it stays crispy (I made the mistake of not doing that once)
morela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #46
Assistant Cook
Hummus mixed with Italian Olive Salad
(easy and cost efficient!)

I will purchase a container of hummus (either from a specialty shop like Trader Joe's or at a middle-eastern store) then fold in about 1/4 c of an Italian Olive Salad. Chill and serve with fresh vegetables...carrots, celery, slices of red, green & yellow bell pepper, slices of cucumber. It is refreshing and unique. I always get comments.
SignoraEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:29 AM   #47
Head Chef
My newest and lately a favorite is creamy gorgonzola cheese served with fig preserves or pear preserves with toasted baguettes or crackers. They are always a hit. You could substitute another blue cheese, but it should not be crumbly.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #48
Sous Chef
A very cost effective appetizer with BIG wow appeal is phyllo triangles--fill with feta and spinach, walnuts and roquefort/blue cheese. They freeze well.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
Put a block of softened cream cheese on a plate and pour about 1-1/2 - 2 cups of jarred or homemade chutney over it. Serve with stiff crackers like Melba toast or Triscuits.
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by GotGarlic
Put a block of softened cream cheese on a plate and pour about 1-1/2 - 2 cups of jarred or homemade chutney over it. Serve with stiff crackers like Melba toast or Triscuits.
yum yum, Garlic. I will probably have to do this on Sunday instead of anything more complicated. I like mine with Heinz chili sauce and crabmeat.

which reminds me, where has clive b, the Chutney King, disappeared to?

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote