"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 03-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

nothin like a good crabby patty!!! (right alix?)

thanks sush.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef

This sauce goes really well with crab cakes. You can use it for other dishes too (Chicken, Pork, Fish, etc.). Shiso is a Japanese Herb with a unique flavor. Those who have been to more upscale Sushi or Japanese Restaurants may have seen it. It's a large green leaf (larger than Basil Leaves) with a shape that looks almost like a spade.

Roasted Poblano Pepper and Shiso Butter Sauce

Yield: Approx 2 cups

Ingredients:

2 fresh, medium sized Poblano Chilis
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 tsp. Olive Oil
1 c. Unsalted butter, cut into 1" cubes and kept cold
3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
2/3 c. Dry white wine
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 c. Heavy Cream
8-10 leaves of Fresh Shiso (if you don't have or can't find Shiso, you can substitute with Fresh Basil or 2 Tbsp. fresh dill or thyme)
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

Rub chilis with the olive oil, and roast either in a 350 F degree oven, or over an open flame until the skin is charred on all sides. Cover in a bowl with plastic wrap for 5-10 minutes, then remove charred skin, stems, and seeds. Be careful as peppers will be very hot. Pat the peppers dry with a paper towel or cloth, and reserve.

Meanwhile, saute the shallots in the 3 Tbsp. butter until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the white wine and lemon juice, and reduce until the liquid is almost reduced, or until about 1/2-1 Tbsp. remains. Add the cream, and reduce by 1/2. Transfer to a blender or food processor and add the poblano chilis, and blend/pulse until chilis are broken up. Slowly add in the butter cubes and blend, until the sauce is emulsified. Add the Shiso and blend/pulse until leaves are broken up. Season to taste with kosher salt and serve immediately, or keep warm until service.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

heya iron chef. are shiso the same leaves that are served in korean bbq places, to be used like the lettuce for wrapping? they appear to be what you've described, having a slightly grassy/minty flavor. i was told, in mixed korean and english, that they were sesame leaves, but i wonder if the proper name for it was shiso.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
IronChef.... that sounds SOOOOOOOOOO good! :) Now I just have to find that Shiso stuff. Asian market maybe??
Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Buckytom, maybe, but I don't think so. I would have to see it but I've never seen shiso served in a Korean restaurant. The link below has a "Korean Shiso" which I've never heard of or seen before so that could be it.

DS, you should be able to find it at an Asian market. If not, you can use another herb instead.

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_035-169.html
Old 03-11-2005, 04:15 AM   #16
Executive Chef

It appears that it might've been Shiso that you ate in that Korean restaurant. Learned something new today.

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_260-172.html
Old 03-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

yep, that's it! thanks iron chef! the korean bbq joints near me are awesome. have you ever been to one? dw and i love them, used to go weekly, but have to wait till my son is safe enough to be around fire. you sit around a heavy wooden table with a small grill firepit in the middle, and you share small dishes of korean foods like kimchi (cabbage, cuke, green onion, radish, etc.), pickled and plain tofu, pickled veggies, skate, clams, seaweed, salads, a fried whole smelt, and a steamed egg dish in an earthenware pot. while you knosh, you grill various meats and fishes, and eat them cooked to your liking, wrapped in lettuce or shiso leaves, with flavored oil (i think it's sesame oil) and bean pastes.we also usually order a cold noodle soup on the side, called nyeng myun (sp?), that i'm gonna try to make when i find a suitable recipe.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Yeah I been to a bunch of Korean Yakiniku places, but it's usually with some Korean friends, and they've never ordered those dishes that are wrapped in shiso. They do all the ordering so maybe I'll ask them to get that the next time we go.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

lol. we always look at all of the bizarre looking dishes on the korean families' tables and wonder what they are. some look so good, others look like something jumped onto the plate from a thousand feet without a parachute. many of the signs in the restaurants and in the menus are completely in korean, so i couldn't order it if i tried. i asked once or twice what one was, and was rebuked by the waitress saying that i didn't want that.

have you ever had neng myun (sp?). if not, try it next time. it's a cold soup with noodles, slices of something leathery/dehydrated (can't tell if it's meat or veg), and a hard boiled egg on top. the waitress cuts it up with a scissor when serving.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #20
Certified Executive Chef

sush, these really sound good, but I do not like crab, could I make them with shrimp????

Tags
None