"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Thank kadesma! I also love eggplant in any form.I once had an eggplant stuffing this lady made 33 years ago I was only 15 but I thought it was the best stuff I ever had.Do you have a recipe?

Old 02-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
Executive Chef

If you could call me, I could tell you faster than I can type.

Here's a blast from the (DC) past

Mozzarella S'mores (Mozzarella, basil, tomatoes)

Mozzarella S'Mores

In the appy catagory, I posted a recipe for Spanish Mushroom Tapas - You can use the bread of choice.

Majorcan Mushroom Tapas

In my files, I remember a strawberry crostini - could look it up if you like. (If I recall, strawberries, spinach leaves, mozzarella? & balsamic.?)

Tapenade

Pate

Caponata

Marinated artichokes hearts (or asparagus), roasted red peppers, black olives, onions

Smoked salmon + anything, lol on foccacia, maybe

Not really crostini, and sitting on a muffin, but they make me smile Any excuse for chocolate, right? :

S'Morffins

- 6 English Muffins lightly toasted and buttered
- 8 milk chocolate bars (1.55 ounces each) divided
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 3 pints super-premium vanilla ice cream
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped and toasted walnuts, divided
- hot fudge or caramel sauce, warmed (optional)

Place muffins on foil-lined baking sheet. Break chocolate bars into squares. Top each muffin half with eight (8) chocolate squares. Broil, in preheated broiler, to just lightly melt chocolate. Arrange 1/4 cup marshmallows on each muffin half; press into melted chocolate. Broil muffins about 6 inches from heat source, until the marshmallows are puffed and golden brown and chocolate has melted. Scoop ice cream onto prepared muffin halves; then top with 2 tablespoons walnuts. Spoon heated fudge or caramel sauce over each S’morffin, if desired. Serve immediately.

TIP: Rotate pan to toast marshmallows evenly.

Serves 12

Old 02-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Thank kadesma! I also love eggplant in any form.I once had an eggplant stuffing this lady made 33 years ago I was only 15 but I thought it was the best stuff I ever had.Do you have a recipe?
I don't have a recipe for eggplant stuffing, but I have one I make for my kids that we call eggplant sandwiches..It's simple, I dip eggplant in flour, then egg then seasoned breadcrumbs, then fry in evoo. I lay the slices on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, then put a slice of provolone on then top with another slice of eggplant, I then make a lemon,butter,parsley, white wine sauce to pour over the top, I don't put much of the sauce maybe a tablespoon on each sandwich..It's also good as is without a sauce and a nice marinara works well too. Me I just eat as is without sauce or anything but a little salt..

kadesma
Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
Mmm... they all sound good, but those two ^^^ sound just devine!
Thanks Grumblebee

kadesma
Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
If you could call me, I could tell you faster than I can type.

Here's a blast from the (DC) past

Mozzarella S'mores (Mozzarella, basil, tomatoes)

Mozzarella S'Mores

In the appy catagory, I posted a recipe for Spanish Mushroom Tapas - You can use the bread of choice.

Majorcan Mushroom Tapas

In my files, I remember a strawberry crostini - could look it up if you like. (If I recall, strawberries, spinach leaves, mozzarella? & balsamic.?)

Tapenade

Pate

Caponata

Marinated artichokes hearts (or asparagus), roasted red peppers, black olives, onions

Smoked salmon + anything, lol on foccacia, maybe

Not really crostini, and sitting on a muffin, but they make me smile Any excuse for chocolate, right? :

S'Morffins

Place muffins on foil-lined baking sheet. Break chocolate bars into squares. Top each muffin half with eight (8) chocolate squares. Broil, in preheated broiler, to just lightly melt chocolate. Arrange 1/4 cup marshmallows on each muffin half; press into melted chocolate. Broil muffins about 6 inches from heat source, until the marshmallows are puffed and golden brown and chocolate has melted. Scoop ice cream onto prepared muffin halves; then top with 2 tablespoons walnuts. Spoon heated fudge or caramel sauce over each S’morffin, if desired. Serve immediately.

Serves 12
Oh boy now you've really got me going Anything you'd like to post is whooo Hooo with me..You have the best recipes..I love it, it makes me think, instead of using oldies we are tired of..The strawberry one sounds yummy...

kadesma
Old 02-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I like crostini with goat cheese & a creamy marsala mushroom. I used to be able to find this artisian bread with pears & hazelnuts, it was divine with the goat cheese & mushroom combo. To make the mushrooms just saute with rosemary and s&p until the liquid is mostly gone, throw in some sweet marsala wait and again wait until the liquid evaporates. Then add a little cream and some flour or roux to thicken if you need to or you can let it cook down. Also good on noodles with shaved gruyere.

I think roasted garlic & brie stuck under the broiler would be good too.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I like crostini with goat cheese & a creamy marsala mushroom. I used to be able to find this artisian bread with pears & hazelnuts, it was divine with the goat cheese & mushroom combo. To make the mushrooms just saute with rosemary and s&p until the liquid is mostly gone, throw in some sweet marsala wait and again wait until the liquid evaporates. Then add a little cream and some flour or roux to thicken if you need to or you can let it cook down. Also good on noodles with shaved gruyere.

I think roasted garlic & brie stuck under the broiler would be good too.
Cora,
sounds wonderful and we are going to try it...We're getting some great ideas here..Thanks

kadesma
Old 02-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #18
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish

S'Morffins

Serves 12
Oh. My. Gosh. That looks so yummy. My neice's birthday is next week... maybe I should make her a batch of those!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef

let me know how you like it! I love the salty & sweet combination of the tart goat cheese and sweet mushrooms. Sounds like I will have to make it soon too! It has been a long time since I've made it. dh doesn't like goat cheese so I will make it next time he works. Thanks for the reminder! Maybe in the future we should have a crostini night dine with us!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Oh boy now you've really got me going Anything you'd like to post is whooo Hooo with me..You have the best recipes..I love it, it makes me think, instead of using oldies we are tired of..The strawberry one sounds yummy...

kadesma
I'll be back (California joke). Thanks, kads. We like all the same 'stuff'. (Couldn't resist showing you the s'morffins -- the name just cracks me up)

Tags
None