"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
Oh. My. Gosh. That looks so yummy. My neice's birthday is next week... maybe I should make her a batch of those!!!
Thank you grumblebee. They look so irresistible, I may put the pic on my fridge, after I lick the screen. Hope you and your little ones like them.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #22
Master Chef

How about caramelized onions, anchovy, and sliced black olive?

Another topping I like is a slice of grilled or oven roasted tomato (EVOO, dried oregano, salt, pepper and minced garlic) with grated parmesan on top.

I also like just a slice of fresh, homegrown tomato with salt, pepper and Hendrickson's Salad Dressing. It's a store-bought, calorie-free dressing made with balsomic vinegar, assorted herbs and seasoning, and just a splash of olive oil...quite delicious. If you can find it, give it a try.

Here's one of my favorite recipes, that's delicious with crostini, or whatever you have:

Creole Mushrooms

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
1/4 c Red wine
2 ea Garlic cloves, minced
1 ts Oregano
1 md Onion, diced
1 ea Green bell pepper, diced
1 ea Jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 md Tomato, diced
1 lb small, whole button mushrooms (larger mushrooms may be coarsly chopped)
1 tb Tomato paste
1/2 cup sliced black olives

Instructions:
1. Simmer the garlic, oregano & onion in the wine for 5 minutes. Add diced bell pepper & the jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes & cook for another 5 minutes. Finally add the mushrooms, black olives & the tomato paste.
Cook until the sauce is thickened.

Serve hot with toasted pita triangles or baguette slices.

*Note: I really like to saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil before I add them to the mix. This is really good stuff!

Old 02-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
How about caramelized onions, anchovy, and sliced black olive?

Another topping I like is a slice of grilled or oven roasted tomato (EVOO, dried oregano, salt, pepper and minced garlic) with grated parmesan on top.

I also like just a slice of fresh, homegrown tomato with salt, pepper and Hendrickson's Salad Dressing. It's a store-bought, calorie-free dressing made with balsomic vinegar, assorted herbs and seasoning, and just a splash of olive oil...quite delicious. If you can find it, give it a try.

Here's one of my favorite recipes, that's delicious with crostini, or whatever you have:

Creole Mushrooms

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
1/4 c Red wine
2 ea Garlic cloves, minced
1 ts Oregano
1 md Onion, diced
1 ea Green bell pepper, diced
1 ea Jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 md Tomato, diced
1 lb Whole button mushrooms
1 tb Tomato paste
1/2 cup sliced black olives

Instructions:
1. Simmer the garlic, oregano & onion in the wine for 5 minutes. Add diced bell pepper & the jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes & cook for another 5 minutes. Finally add the mushrooms, black olives & the tomato paste.
Cook until the sauce is thickened.

Serve hot with toasted pita triangles or baguette slices.

*Note: I really like to saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil before I add themto the mix. This is really good stuff!
Connie this looks wonderful, with all the great ideas, sunday dinner just might turn into a crostini party.. I also like the anchovy,black olive and carmalized onion idea..Emmm Thanks Connie..

kadesma
Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #24
Master Chef

You sure are welcome, my friend!

My husband is working second shift tonight. I was up all morning, and my body is hurting. But I have leftover chicken breasts calling me, that I need to do something with so he'll have a decent lunch tomorrow. I was thinking enchilada casserole, but it might turn into chicken salad. Guess I'd better get some eggs boiling.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
You sure are welcome, my friend!

My husband is working second shift tonight. I was up all morning, and my body is hurting. But I have leftover chicken breasts calling me, that I need to do something with so he'll have a decent lunch tomorrow. I was thinking enchilada casserole, but it might turn into chicken salad. Guess I'd better get some eggs boiling.
Ouch Connie, same boat here, winter weather makes my bones ache...Hope you feel better tomorrow.

kadesma
Old 02-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #26
Master Chef

Great!

I see so many variations... I just have to add another! This is my fav!

Creamy Shrimp Crostini

40 1/2 inch thick baguette slices
2 tblsp olive oil
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1/2 cup mayo
3 tblsp dijon mustard
1 lb cooked, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped shrimp
1/2 cup minced scallions
1 1/2 tblsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp grated lemon peel
chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preheat broiler and lightly brush each side of baguette slice with olive oil.

Arrange on baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted.... about 1 minute.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, mayo, and mustard in large bowl. By hand, mix in shrimp, scallions, dill, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead. Store toasts in airtight container at room temp. Cover shrimp mixture and chill.

To serve: Spread 1 tblsp (or more!) shrimp mixture atop each toast. Arrange crostini on baking sheet: broil until shrimp mixture begins to brown... top with parsley.... can also be served cold atop toast.

Note: I usually only toast one side of the baguette toasts. I spread the shrimp mixture on the untoasted side so that when it is placed under the broiler, it does not burn... but gets lightly toasted along with the shrimp mixture.

Just wonderful... shrimp mixture can be eaten all by itself!!!! YUM! Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Sattie,
another great crostini idea..Can hardly wait to give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

kadesma
Old 03-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #28
Executive Chef

This is one of the recipes I was thinking about & wanted to try during the summer, but time got away from me.

Strawberry Bruschetta

12 slices French bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
12 slices (about 12 ounces) Brie cheese
1 1/2 pounds (about 4 to 5 cups) sliced stemmed strawberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Heat oven to 375F.

Spread 1 side of each bread slice with butter; arrange, butter side up, on large baking sheet. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1 teaspoon over each slice of bread. Reserve remaining sugar mixture. Toast bread in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each with 1 slice cheese; return to oven. Bake an additional 4 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine strawberries, vanilla and remaining sugar mixture; toss lightly. Place two bruschetta on each serving plate. Spoon 1/3 cup strawberry mixture over each; sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings

To toast almonds, spread in even layer on baking sheet. Bake in 350F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once or twice for even browning.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:23 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
This is one of the recipes I was thinking about & wanted to try during the summer, but time got away from me.

Strawberry Bruschetta

12 slices French bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
12 slices (about 12 ounces) Brie cheese
1 1/2 pounds (about 4 to 5 cups) sliced stemmed strawberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Heat oven to 375F.

Spread 1 side of each bread slice with butter; arrange, butter side up, on large baking sheet. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1 teaspoon over each slice of bread. Reserve remaining sugar mixture. Toast bread in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each with 1 slice cheese; return to oven. Bake an additional 4 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine strawberries, vanilla and remaining sugar mixture; toss lightly. Place two bruschetta on each serving plate. Spoon 1/3 cup strawberry mixture over each; sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings

To toast almonds, spread in even layer on baking sheet. Bake in 350F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once or twice for even browning.
Mish,
I just bought some lucious sweet strawberries, so you do know, I'm going to have some withint the next several days.. Heavens this looks so good I could go make some right now..But then of course I'd hae to share and I want to give this a try all by my lonesome,,Thanks friend..This does look yummy and it's different from yur everyday savory crostini or bruschetta.. Will let you know how they are.

kadesma
Old 03-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

hey, where's all the paisano recipes? rdg, urmaniac? a dove?

i always thought that crostini was toasted slices of olive oiled italian bread, and bruschetta is what you made with them, by rubbing and/or spooning toppings onto the crostini.

there's been lots of great things mentioned here so far, so i'll go another route. i've had lots of appy's, pu pu platters, and tapas over the years, and have made up some of my own weird combos.

crostini is only the canvas for the toppings for bruschetta, much like tapas, or a modern day amuse bouche, so if you want to get funky, try bruschetta fusion....

norwegian/italian: garlic rubbed crostini topped with chopped wine and onion pickled herring

japanese/french: bonito shavings atop boursin and scallions

thai/italian: chopped blanched squid with cilantro, raw garlic, and chopped sundried tomatoes, drizzled with evoo.

american/italian: cubes of buffalo chicken with melted mozzarella and prosciutto

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None