Crostini ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
grumblebee said:
Oh. My. Gosh. :ohmy: That looks so yummy. My neice's birthday is next week... maybe I should make her a batch of those!!!

Thank you grumblebee. They look so irresistible, I may put the pic on my fridge, after I lick the screen. :LOL: Hope you and your little ones like them. :)

Last edited:
How about caramelized onions, anchovy, and sliced black olive?

Another topping I like is a slice of grilled or oven roasted tomato (EVOO, dried oregano, salt, pepper and minced garlic) with grated parmesan on top.

I also like just a slice of fresh, homegrown tomato with salt, pepper and Hendrickson's Salad Dressing. It's a store-bought, calorie-free dressing made with balsomic vinegar, assorted herbs and seasoning, and just a splash of olive oil...quite delicious. If you can find it, give it a try.

Here's one of my favorite recipes, that's delicious with crostini, or whatever you have:

Creole Mushrooms

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
1/4 c Red wine
2 ea Garlic cloves, minced
1 ts Oregano
1 md Onion, diced
1 ea Green bell pepper, diced
1 ea Jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 md Tomato, diced
1 lb small, whole button mushrooms (larger mushrooms may be coarsly chopped)
1 tb Tomato paste
1/2 cup sliced black olives

Instructions:
1. Simmer the garlic, oregano & onion in the wine for 5 minutes. Add diced bell pepper & the jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes & cook for another 5 minutes. Finally add the mushrooms, black olives & the tomato paste.
Cook until the sauce is thickened.

Serve hot with toasted pita triangles or baguette slices.

*Note: I really like to saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil before I add them to the mix. This is really good stuff!

Last edited:
Constance said:
How about caramelized onions, anchovy, and sliced black olive?

Another topping I like is a slice of grilled or oven roasted tomato (EVOO, dried oregano, salt, pepper and minced garlic) with grated parmesan on top.

I also like just a slice of fresh, homegrown tomato with salt, pepper and Hendrickson's Salad Dressing. It's a store-bought, calorie-free dressing made with balsomic vinegar, assorted herbs and seasoning, and just a splash of olive oil...quite delicious. If you can find it, give it a try.

Here's one of my favorite recipes, that's delicious with crostini, or whatever you have:

Creole Mushrooms

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
1/4 c Red wine
2 ea Garlic cloves, minced
1 ts Oregano
1 md Onion, diced
1 ea Green bell pepper, diced
1 ea Jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 md Tomato, diced
1 lb Whole button mushrooms
1 tb Tomato paste
1/2 cup sliced black olives

Instructions:
1. Simmer the garlic, oregano & onion in the wine for 5 minutes. Add diced bell pepper & the jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes & cook for another 5 minutes. Finally add the mushrooms, black olives & the tomato paste.
Cook until the sauce is thickened.

Serve hot with toasted pita triangles or baguette slices.

*Note: I really like to saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil before I add themto the mix. This is really good stuff!
Connie this looks wonderful, with all the great ideas, sunday dinner just might turn into a crostini party..:LOL: I also like the anchovy,black olive and carmalized onion idea..Emmm Thanks Connie..

kadesma:)

You sure are welcome, my friend!

My husband is working second shift tonight. I was up all morning, and my body is hurting. But I have leftover chicken breasts calling me, that I need to do something with so he'll have a decent lunch tomorrow. I was thinking enchilada casserole, but it might turn into chicken salad. Guess I'd better get some eggs boiling.

Last edited:
Constance said:
You sure are welcome, my friend!

My husband is working second shift tonight. I was up all morning, and my body is hurting. But I have leftover chicken breasts calling me, that I need to do something with so he'll have a decent lunch tomorrow. I was thinking enchilada casserole, but it might turn into chicken salad. Guess I'd better get some eggs boiling.
Ouch Connie, same boat here, winter weather makes my bones ache...Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Great!

I see so many variations... I just have to add another! This is my fav!

Creamy Shrimp Crostini

40 1/2 inch thick baguette slices
2 tblsp olive oil
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1/2 cup mayo
3 tblsp dijon mustard
1 lb cooked, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped shrimp
1/2 cup minced scallions
1 1/2 tblsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp grated lemon peel
chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preheat broiler and lightly brush each side of baguette slice with olive oil.

Arrange on baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted.... about 1 minute.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, mayo, and mustard in large bowl. By hand, mix in shrimp, scallions, dill, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead. Store toasts in airtight container at room temp. Cover shrimp mixture and chill.

To serve: Spread 1 tblsp (or more!) shrimp mixture atop each toast. Arrange crostini on baking sheet: broil until shrimp mixture begins to brown... top with parsley.... can also be served cold atop toast.

Note: I usually only toast one side of the baguette toasts. I spread the shrimp mixture on the untoasted side so that when it is placed under the broiler, it does not burn... but gets lightly toasted along with the shrimp mixture.

Just wonderful... shrimp mixture can be eaten all by itself!!!! YUM! Enjoy!

Sattie,
another great crostini idea..Can hardly wait to give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the recipes I was thinking about & wanted to try during the summer, but time got away from me. :)

Strawberry Bruschetta

12 slices French bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
12 slices (about 12 ounces) Brie cheese
1 1/2 pounds (about 4 to 5 cups) sliced stemmed strawberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Heat oven to 375ºF.

Spread 1 side of each bread slice with butter; arrange, butter side up, on large baking sheet. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1 teaspoon over each slice of bread. Reserve remaining sugar mixture. Toast bread in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each with 1 slice cheese; return to oven. Bake an additional 4 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine strawberries, vanilla and remaining sugar mixture; toss lightly. Place two bruschetta on each serving plate. Spoon 1/3 cup strawberry mixture over each; sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings

To toast almonds, spread in even layer on baking sheet. Bake in 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once or twice for even browning.

mish said:
This is one of the recipes I was thinking about & wanted to try during the summer, but time got away from me. :)

Strawberry Bruschetta

12 slices French bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
12 slices (about 12 ounces) Brie cheese
1 1/2 pounds (about 4 to 5 cups) sliced stemmed strawberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Heat oven to 375ºF.

Spread 1 side of each bread slice with butter; arrange, butter side up, on large baking sheet. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1 teaspoon over each slice of bread. Reserve remaining sugar mixture. Toast bread in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each with 1 slice cheese; return to oven. Bake an additional 4 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine strawberries, vanilla and remaining sugar mixture; toss lightly. Place two bruschetta on each serving plate. Spoon 1/3 cup strawberry mixture over each; sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings

To toast almonds, spread in even layer on baking sheet. Bake in 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once or twice for even browning.
Mish,
I just bought some lucious sweet strawberries, so you do know, I'm going to have some withint the next several days..:LOL: Heavens this looks so good I could go make some right now..But then of course I'd hae to share and I want to give this a try all by my lonesome,,Thanks friend..This does look yummy and it's different from yur everyday savory crostini or bruschetta.. Will let you know how they are.

hey, where's all the paisano recipes? rdg, urmaniac? a dove?

i always thought that crostini was toasted slices of olive oiled italian bread, and bruschetta is what you made with them, by rubbing and/or spooning toppings onto the crostini.

there's been lots of great things mentioned here so far, so i'll go another route. i've had lots of appy's, pu pu platters, and tapas over the years, and have made up some of my own weird combos.

crostini is only the canvas for the toppings for bruschetta, much like tapas, or a modern day amuse bouche, so if you want to get funky, try bruschetta fusion....

norwegian/italian: garlic rubbed crostini topped with chopped wine and onion pickled herring

japanese/french: bonito shavings atop boursin and scallions

thai/italian: chopped blanched squid with cilantro, raw garlic, and chopped sundried tomatoes, drizzled with evoo.

american/italian: cubes of buffalo chicken with melted mozzarella and prosciutto

This is one of my favorites that I developed from one that's served at one of my favorite bistro restaurants. I frequently make it for supper along with a green salad:

Crab & Artichoke Crostini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

One 6-ounce can crabmeat
One 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
Paprika (optional)
Approx. 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Six 1" thick diagonal slices of an Italian or French baguette

Mix first 4 ingredients together, along with a few dashes of cayenne pepper to taste. Stir in one cup of grated Parmesan.

Spread mixture thickly on top of slices of bread, top with additional cup of Parmesan cheese, & sprinkle lightly with a little additional cayenne pepper, or regular paprika.

Bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until heated through. If you prefer a browner topping, you can broil the pieces briefly.

Serve as an appetizer, or as a light supper along with a green salad.

Another favorite crostini/bruschetta topping of mine is canned drained & rinsed cannelini beans mixed with a little sauteed Swiss Chard, garlic, olive oil, & crushed red pepper flakes; then topped with a little fresh grated parmesan.

Bruschetta with Garlic Cream -- Bruschetta con Crema di Aglio
  • 2 large heads garlic
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • A sprig of fresh thyme
  • Thinly sliced toasted bread
  • Grilled marinated eggplant or peppers, and sliced tomatoes
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Wrap the heads of garlic in aluminum foil and roast them for 40 minutes. As soon as they have cooled enough to be handled, squeeze the pulp from the garlic cloves, and blend it with the olive oil. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Strip the leaves from the sprig of thyme and sprinkle them over the cream.

Serve at once with thinly sliced toasted bread, and eggplant, grilled peppers, and tomatoes.

Breezy and Mish,
I love both of your ideas..We make crostini and bruschetta often and I'll ad your ideas to what I have. I can see we are in for a treat with all of your recipes...Thank you both.

buckytom said:
hey, where's all the paisano recipes? rdg, urmaniac? a dove?

i always thought that crostini was toasted slices of olive oiled italian bread, and bruschetta is what you made with them, by rubbing and/or spooning toppings onto the crostini.

Hopefully, RDG can step in and clear this up, but I've always known it as almost the same as Bucky. When I was at the the Italian restaurant we served a Caccuico with Crostini, basically an olive oil and garlic toast. It was served with one slice of toasted ciabatta and each slice of ciabatta was cut in half so each order got two crostinis. For our Bruschetta appetizer we would use grilled, whole slices of ciabatta. Each order recieved two whole slices or two bruschetta.

I think what differentiates the two is both size and cooking method. Crostini literally means "little crusts" so I think it refers to small pieces of bread made into toast. Normally crostini is made by either frying them in a pan or on a griddle. For bruschetta to be bruschetta, I believe the slices of bread needs to be grilled, and the slices are left whole and not cut up into smaller or bite sized pieces.

This ones from a Mario Batali episode:

Black cabbage bruschetta
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 4 tablespoons
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, plus 2 peeled whole cloves
2 bunches cavolo nero (or kale), chopped into 1-inch ribbons
4 slices country bread, 1-inch thick
1/2 pound pecorino toscano

Preheat the grill or broiler.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the 6 tablespoons olive oil and the garlic slices together over medium heat, until the garlic begins to soften. Add the cavolo all at once, stirring to keep the garlic from settling at the bottom. Cover the pan and allow the cabbage to cook until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.

That's it, sounds good havent tried it yet.

Meanwhile, grill or toast the bread. Rub 1 side of each toasted bread slice with raw garlic. Place 1 slice of bread in 4 shallow bowls and top each slice with a large spoonful of the cabbage mixture. Drizzle each bruschetta with 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and shave pecorino over each portion

Back
Top Bottom