"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Kitchenchef....

The beer batter is exactly what I fry my dill pickles in...with cayenne pepper added before and after...yeah buddy!!!!!! Got to have some soon!
YUM! .......................

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hey Uncle Bob here I am. ( waving)
What's your news? Did you find an old disgruntled ex- employee willing to spill the secret? Did you crack the code?
Waiting on pins and needles.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Houdini...

Next time you are here...check your PM...(Private Messages)

This discussion might be long winded!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Fried mushrooms, Outback style

Hello!

I believe I have what you are looking for. I used to manage an Outback in the late nineties though I am not disgruntled! I do still remember how things worked in the kitchen. I left the company before the fried mushrooms were added but I am certain they are made the same way they make their blooming onions. It's a simple procedure. They are double-breaded using a seasoned flour and an egg-wash. I believe they even use the same flour on the mushrooms as the do for the onions.

The restaurants buy the seasoned flour from the company, so no one will ever know the exact recipe, but I have a very close version.

EGG WASH
1 egg
1/2 cup whole milk

SEASONED FLOUR
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp table salt
3/4 tsp black pepper (preferably fresh ground)
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional but recommended)
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme

8 oz fresh white button mushrooms

Give your mushrooms a good rinse in a colander then dip in the egg wash then dredge through the flour mixture. Dip them in the egg wash again and dredge them in the flour a second time. Deep fry them in 350 degree oil until golden brown and enjoy!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I don't know what they are either but a good crisp coating that seems to work for quite a few things is equal parts beer and flour, let it set out on counter for 3 hours. You can use a tad more beer if you want as that coating can get REALLY crunchy!

I use this on all kinds of fried food. The trick is the 3 hour wait. It rises and becomes so light and fluffy. Very much YUM!
Old 12-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #16
Executive Chef

It would seem a batter would work better?
I'm asking.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It would seem a batter would work better?
I'm asking.
Beer and flour does make a batter. We've made tempura vegetables with it. The gases in the beer make it nice and light.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Beer and flour does make a batter. We've made tempura vegetables with it. The gases in the beer make it nice and light.
When I do make a batter, it is always a beer batter. Beer, flour, corn starch and salt. Some beer batter recipes call for flat beer where some don't. I usually just use it straight from the can. I'm usually drinking one anyway.

My opinion was that a batter would adhere better than a dry coating. Give a better more consistent coating.
I have never made deep fried shrooms and thats why my post ended with a question mark.

Thinking a bit harder it seems a dip in batter, then a dip into Panko would make a quite crispy coating. I have done that with shrimp before. Big gulf shrimp.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought you were responding to the comment just above yours, but it sounds like you're talking about the original post.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #20
Head Chef

I have a question and I know this thread is really old and just resurrected. Whenever I deep fry mushrooms at home, like button or crimini, they always have a gush of liquid (watery, not oily) when you bite down into them. Ones that I get at a restaurant don't seem to have that. I wash them VERY quickly under running water and drain/dry them on paper towels before proceeding with battering or coating them. Does anybody else have that problem or is just the mushrooms I'm getting or what? Do the restaurants maybe salt them to pull out some of the excess liquid? I wash them for frying just like I do for any other kind of prep and never seem to have excess liquid except when I fry them.

Tags
None