Deep Fried Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question and I know this thread is really old and just resurrected. Whenever I deep fry mushrooms at home, like button or crimini, they always have a gush of liquid (watery, not oily) when you bite down into them. Ones that I get at a restaurant don't seem to have that. I wash them VERY quickly under running water and drain/dry them on paper towels before proceeding with battering or coating them. Does anybody else have that problem or is just the mushrooms I'm getting or what? Do the restaurants maybe salt them to pull out some of the excess liquid? I wash them for frying just like I do for any other kind of prep and never seem to have excess liquid except when I fry them.

I used to go to a restaurant in Tacoma and my girlfriend and I always bought their fried mushrooms. The reason? For that explosion of delicious liquid you got with the first bite. They were battered and deep fried. At first we would place one order of them. Then we got smart and each ordered our own.

If you are just sautéing them, the liquid cooks out. But when you cover them with batter and then deep fry, you don't lose any of the liquid. I personally love having the liquid in the deep fried mushrooms. :angel:

If you are just sautéing them, the liquid cooks out. But when you cover them with batter and then deep fry, you don't lose any of the liquid. I personally love having the liquid in the deep fried mushrooms. :angel:

I realize that Addie, that's why I wrote excess liquid. When sautéing you always let the liquid come out and then reabsorb and/or evaporate. But that gush with the deep fried ones just seems like more liquid than what comes out with sautéing, and I DON'T like it. None of the restaurants that I've had them at have that gush or at least to the extent that I get with homemade ones.

Medtran-are the ones at the restaurants with stems on? The way we made them when my parents' owned a restaurant had stems and gills removed and were breaded and frozen. We dropped them in the fryer frozen and let the drain on paper towels before serving. If we had a lot to do, we cooked them off in the oven.

Come to think of it, the ones I had at the restaurant had no stems. So it was a little gush. I have never made them at home. I do have a recipe for them, so I think I should give it a try. A few with the stems and the rest without. :angel:

The other secret is to only buy button mushrooms that have a tight stem. You shouldn't be able to see the gillls. And toss the stems and gills in a zippy for mushroom soup.

Thanks CWS and GG. I don't remember if they had stems or not in the restaurants. I'm picky about produce so always buy mushrooms with closed/tight gills. I'll give stem-less and frozen a try next time I make some, as well as trying to get some of the gills out.

Back
Top Bottom