"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 09-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I don't use relish in my deviled eggs. But I am keenly aware that there are 100s if not thousands of ways to prepare deviled eggs including adding bacon. So in each cook's kitchen she/he should make their deviled eggs in a manner that they know they will be all gobbled up. Except during a famine, I wouldn't eat a deviled egg. My husband would eat a dozen of any put in front of him.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterprime View Post
From my great grandmother on down, everyone in my family has made deviled eggs with pickle relish, usually half and half dill and sweet relish. Recently I have ran into other people who have always had it without. I've tried it, but wasn't real impressed, finding them dry and lacking in flavor (but maybe I just haven't tried the right recipe). So I was hoping all of you could give some feedback as to which way you prefer it and why?

Thanks in advance :)
The Chief's Deviled eggs, made almost as my dear mother made them:

6 hard boiled eggs, not overcooked
Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
1 tsp. mustard powder
sweet Pickle Relish
Sweet Hungarian Paprika

Remove the yolks and place into a bowl. Add enough salad dressing to make a thick paste. Stir in the mustard powder and let sit for 1 minute. Taste. The mustard powder flavor should be there, but not so much as to be bitter. Add the relish until the yolk mixture is creamy with relish bits throughout. Fill the egg-whites and sprinkle with papirka.

Oops, I forgot the minced onion, about a tsp. or so added to the yolks.

I've had deviled eggs that were so dry and flavorless, or very heavy with dill relish. I didn't much like them.

I think that deviled eggs are just what you're used to. What's great to me might be terrible for you. What someone else thinks is an amazing deviled egg might be completely terrible to me. I will eat them, and be polite while I'm doing it. I might even compliment the cook on the execution.

My best advice is to make the deviled eggs as you enjoy them. If someone doesn't like them the way you make them, there's usually other things available to satisfy them at the tray.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Onions

No pickle relish but I do add some minced fresh onions for crunch. That plus mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper mixed up with the yokes for the filling and paprika sprinkled on top.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #24
Sous Chef

I like relish and even a bit of the juice to make the yolks moist without using too much mayo. Depending on my other dishes, I go either dill relish or sweet, as the relish definately makes it sweet or sour. Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Deviled Eggs, with or without relish?

No relish here either, though I bet it's good. Mine are similar to Stock Pot's and a few others here, mayo, mustard, and paprika. Will have to try horseradish and Old Bay, maybe avocado, sometime. A bit of cream cheese sounds good too. And wasn't it Janet H who puts in a hidden squirt of Srirachi? Those sound good too. And now I'm craving deviled eggs...
Old 09-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

We mix the yolks with some garlic powder and some of the juice from the green olive jar then top the filled egg with half an olive.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #27
Master Chef

No relish here either. Sometimes I'll add a small spoonful of the brine from either sweet or dill pickles, but not very much. Basic mixture of mustard and mayo. I top them with either paprika or finely chopped chives.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
No relish here either, though I bet it's good. Mine are similar to Stock Pot's and a few others here, mayo, mustard, and paprika. Will have to try horseradish and Old Bay, maybe avocado, sometime. A bit of cream cheese sounds good too. And wasn't it Janet H who puts in a hidden squirt of Sriracha? Those sound good too. And now I'm craving deviled eggs...
Yep, it was Dawg, and I did them that way last time. Just insert the green tip from the bottle and squeeze.They were spectacular, but they didn't look as pretty as hers......

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Those look wonderful to me...
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #30
Head Chef

I've tried a few variations, including with relish, but always go back to

eggs
Hellman's mayonnaise
salt & pepper

best eaten while filling is still warm