Deviled Eggs, with or without relish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatterprime

Assistant Cook
From my great grandmother on down, everyone in my family has made deviled eggs with pickle relish, usually half and half dill and sweet relish. Recently I have ran into other people who have always had it without. I've tried it, but wasn't real impressed, finding them dry and lacking in flavor (but maybe I just haven't tried the right recipe). So I was hoping all of you could give some feedback as to which way you prefer it and why?

Thanks in advance :)

In my world the use of pickle relish in or on anything but a hot dog was a sign of hard times and associated with city living. I think it might have been a throwback to the Great Depression. I grew up with deviled eggs made using mashed yolks, mayonnaise or softened butter, S&P and mustard mixed together and piled back into the whites. I was very much impressed the first time I saw a sophisticated deviled egg topped with a slice of a stuffed manzanilla olive! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Oops! I forgot the dusting of paprika!

Last edited:
My mom used Betty Crocker's recipe for deviled eggs, which included dill pickle relish. I never buy relish but I always have dill pickles, so I chop those up and put them in my deviled eggs. My mom was big on the paprika, but since I have an herb garden, I usually use chives.

none in the yolk filler, but i've had a little dollop of relish on top of it that's good.

btw, i work with a guy who worked at a pickle/relish factory when he was young. you really don't want to know what sounds come out of the vat when they turn the augers on to empty out the last bits of broken pickles which end up being made into relish.

trust me, make your own relish.

I haven't tried it yet, but a friend of mine said they substituted Old Bay seasoning for the paprika and liked it so much they never went back.

I rarely make my deviled eggs the same. Sometimes I use relish, sometimes not. I like it sweet with honey mustard, sometimes hot with mustard and horseradish.

For mild I sprinkle the tops with paprike. For spicy, I like to sprinkle cayenne.

One of the best ideas for a cookout I had was to ask everyone to bring deviled eggs. A dozen eggs don't cost much, and the huge variety of flavors made for a wonderful assortment of appetizers.

No pickles or pickle relish. My recipe includes mayonnaise, mustard (not too much), salt and pepper and some cream cheese, about 4oz. per dozen yolks. The cream cheese adds volume without altering the flavor much allowing me to pipe nice generous swirls into each egg, sprinkled with paprika.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Depends. I have a number of recipes for deviled eggs. One of our favorites includes mashed avocado with the egg yolk and bacon bits. Ultra-yummy!

thanks, kth! the avacados (avacadoes?) are a great idea. dw has been on an avocado kick lately. i think it has something to do with burning calories, or nutritive value per calorie, or something.

but any way i can reduce mayo and add avocado will get her to eat them. i've actually seen her scoop out most of the egg yolk mixture and eat just the egg whites at parties. what's the point of eating them at that point?

but this might work. thanks again.:chef:

My Mom always used pickle relish. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. They are rarely done the same way every time. Now, I love avocado, but in deviled eggs? Nope, not for me. The color alone would turn me off.

I don't think I'd like relish in my D-eggs. However, avocado sounds like a natural to me. Gonna have to try that.

No pickle relish here, but I will use some dill pickle juice in the "mash" sometimes. I like to make mine with a touch of anchovy paste, dry mustard, S&P, lemon juice, mayo and a bit of sour cream. My favorite topping is black caviar. I love the "pop" of the caviar in my mouth. But then, I love caviar on just about anything...

Back
Top Bottom