Dip: Classic Greek Taramosalata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Margi I would stick to posting about your home cuisine, you are probably on more solid ground.:LOL:

Bolas,
I do not know how much you know greek cousine but avgotaraho is eaten as an apetiser and cooked on many ways.

'In Greece, avgotaracho is produced primarily from the flathead mullet caught in Greek lagoons. The whole mature ovaries are removed from the fish, washed with water, salted with natural sea salt, dried under the sun, and sealed in melted beeswax.'

we buy white caviar , that is fish eggs and sold especially for taramosalata.

Last edited:
A fair bit souvlaki if you check out post 6 you will see it is the same as your.40 yrs ago I watched fishermen in flat bottom boats spear the grey mullet after they were trapped in a cane dam type thingy.I like avo on its own but it does coat your teeth and mouth.:)

Bolas,
I do not know how much you know greek cousine but avgotaraho is eaten as an apetiser and cooked on many ways.

'In Greece, avgotaracho is produced primarily from the flathead mullet caught in Greek lagoons. The whole mature ovaries are removed from the fish, washed with water, salted with natural sea salt, dried under the sun, and sealed in melted beeswax.'

we buy white caviar , that is fish eggs and sold especially for taramosalata.

Hi Souvlaki, isn't avgotaraho the same as bottarga? Bottarga – Premium Quality Mediterranean caviar.

I thought the word tarama just meant fish row and salata speaks for itself.

I know I absolutely love proper home made tarama and as I said previously I make mine (when I can afford to) with smoked cod's roe as it is the easiest hard roe for me to find..

Acerbicaid: I believe you can be correct

Good Morning,

Tarama is Meze made from Fish Roe.

Salata is salad in English.

The humorous thing is that originally when I had this dish for the first time in Manhattan, I thought the word, Salata meant Salt or Salty ... because in Spanish, SAL = SALT. :ROFLMAO:

I believe you can be correct, however, I trust that Souvlaki shall be online later, and she shall confirm for you.

Have a lovely day,
Margaux.

Last edited:
Acerbicacid you are right avgotaraho is the same with bottarga

But when we make taramosalata we bye fish roe especially packed for this purpose. It is white and packed in plastic trays or plastic bags. It can be made fro the roy of gray mullet or roe of smiked cod (i prefer the cod)

The ready taramosalata you can buy from market fridges is something i do not like at all because it is pink and that is artifitial colour, so i prefer making my own taramosalata when i beke lagana (greek flat bread with tahini and sesame seed)

Souvlaki,

Truly appreciate all your culinary instruction and coaching on the topic. I am a true fan of Taramasolata ...

The Vet and I were very disappointed with the Greek Taverns that had opened in the Madrid Capital until, 2006 or 2007. There is a wonderful Hellenic regional tavern that we go once a month to, to have Meze ... Their Taramasolata is a crude unbleached white ( not freshly fallen snow white ) not coral pink ...

I agree with you on the Cod. For me, it is much tastier ... much more lovely.

Thanks again for all,
Margaux.

Last edited:
Taxi Lady,

My taramasolata does not have beet root juice ... However, I believe Souvlaki is the person to ask this question. I believe some chefs or cooks, or home cooks, use Red Roe Tarama verses Lagoon Greek Mullet which produces a creamish white Dip, not a coral salmon color one.

Thanks for your post.
Margi.

pink taramosalata

I have been told that the pink colour in taramosalata comes from beet juice.

Dear Taxlady

:) I was reffering to the taramosalata ready and packed from the factories. It is widaly sold here in Greece in every market and I really get angry when I see tourists buying it.
If they just read the ingredients it says that it is artifitial color.

Well, anyways one can not save the world...lol

The beetroot juice might be used by some restaurants, i do not know for sure because i order white taramosalata and if they say they have the pink one i just order something else.

thank you for the post though, I will try to learn and inform you :)

Hi, I don't use beet juice either, I believe it is only the bought stuff that is pink. Here's a picture showing the colour of the smoked cod roe similar to the one I use H. Forman & Son Smoked Cod's Roe | Smoked Fish | The Fishmongers | The Shop | Christmas Hampers | Smoked Salmon | Chocolate Gifts. when I have added the rest of the ingredients and whizzed it up it is a pale pinky beige/cream colour.

All this talk of tarama, I really want to make some now. The recipe I make uses the roe, lemon juice, olive oil and breadcrumbs (or even mashed potato). Sometimes I even use a little grated onion, all pulverised to a lovely smooth creamy pate type consistency. (I think it is the only word in the English language that uses the letter 'a' six times:ohmy:)

Hi Souvlaki, thank you for your reply. I actually have some bottarga in my fridge, ready for my next pasta dish (after the puttanesca)!!

I also use a homemade flat bread sprinkled with sesame seeds (or whatever I feel like at the time) to have with tarama..

Acerbocaid,

Thank you kindly for your link on H. Forman and Son ... shall enjoy the read I am sure.

We shall see if we can get some exemplary Greek ingredients tomorrow to make some --- otherwise, we shall wait until we return to Madrid where I know we can purchase from a friend who owns a Greek Tavern.

Thanks for your contribution and feedback, it is gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Hi, I don't use beet juice either, I believe it is only the bought stuff that is pink. Here's a picture showing the colour of the smoked cod roe similar to the one I use H. Forman & Son Smoked Cod's Roe | Smoked Fish | The Fishmongers | The Shop | Christmas Hampers | Smoked Salmon | Chocolate Gifts. when I have added the rest of the ingredients and whizzed it up it is a pale pinky beige/cream colour.

All this talk of tarama, I really want to make some now. The recipe I make uses the roe, lemon juice, olive oil and breadcrumbs (or even mashed potato). Sometimes I even use a little grated onion, all pulverised to a lovely smooth creamy pate type consistency. (I think it is the only word in the English language that uses the letter 'a' six times:ohmy:)
Maybe the beet juice is a Montreal thing. I have never bought taramo at a store, I have had it at Greek restos. I asked the owner/chef in a small Greek resto and she told me that she used beet juice to make it that pretty pink colour.

If I were to buy it at a store, I would buy it at my local Greek owned supermarket and ask them what they put to make it pink. They sell it out of a large pan in their deli section.

I didn't read your post carefully and when I looked at the link I thought, "That's not taramo, that's cod roe." Then I read that I was right and then I saw that you had written that it was smoked cod roe. I'm half Danish and I have eaten lots of cod roe. I prefer it as taramasalata. I'm not crazy about it poached, one of the way Danes do it. Have you ever had cod liver pate? OMG, that stuff is so yummy.

Taxlady

No I have never tried cod or any fish liver. :) Must be yummy, and I am going to try and find some, since you say it is good.

Now the traditional old recipe for taramosalata given to me by Giagia Maria, my husbands grandmother is:

-100 gr. white taramas, fish roe
-500 gr. cooked potatoes (or 500 gr. 1 day old bread, soaked in water and drained)
-60 gr. olive oil
-50 gr. fresh lemon juice
-50 gr. onion
-black olives for decorating

Pulse everything in a blender. Add several tablespoons olive oil if needed and serve.

However I like this version more:

MEGA TV:

the video is on greek but I like the plate as they serve it and present it with eggplant salad and potato salad.

ingredients:
-200 gr. white tarama, fish roe
-400 gr. one day old bread, soaked in water and drained
-juice of 1 to 1 and a half lime fruit (if you do not have one lemon is fine)
-1 onion
-2 cloves garlic

olive oil (60-70 gr.), pepper

the difference here is that you saute the onion and the garlic first until caramelized , so it gives a different taste. then you put everything in the blender, onion and garlic, tarams, bread, olive oil.

Enjoy!

Souvlaki: I love your 2 recipes - Thanks !

Buonasera,

I am crazy for the two recipes that you posted ... I like both versions ... I would like to prepare both and do a private taste testing for two ! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks so much for posting.
Margaux.

Souvlaki,

Wow ... quite a different taste profile on Number 2 with the caramelized onion ...

I really love the Classic Number 1; however, I shall try Number 2 for a taste testing and Meze, on the terrace.

Grazie,
Thanks alot.
Margi.

Hi taxlady, no I have never had cod liver pate. I don't think I have seen the liver anywhere to buy either. I'm sure it would be really yummy but the very thought of cod liver makes me think of when I was a child and my Mother used to give me cod liver oil in liquid form to ward off cold and coughs and keep me healthy :ermm: Revolting stuff it was too.
Scotts Emulsion Original Cod Liver Oil With Vitamin A & D - 12.5 Oz: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

I'm sure if I did try the pate it would be lovely and nothing like my memory :LOL:

Hi taxlady, no I have never had cod liver pate. I don't think I have seen the liver anywhere to buy either. I'm sure it would be really yummy but the very thought of cod liver makes me think of when I was a child and my Mother used to give me cod liver oil in liquid form to ward off cold and coughs and keep me healthy :ermm: Revolting stuff it was too.
Scotts Emulsion Original Cod Liver Oil With Vitamin A & D - 12.5 Oz: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

I'm sure if I did try the pate it would be lovely and nothing like my memory :LOL:
Yeah, that cod liver oil is healthy, but nasty stuff. Danish kids get cod liver pate instead. So much nicer. Really important to get your D vitamins when you live in the north.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom