"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
Senior Cook

pink taramosalata

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have been told that the pink colour in taramosalata comes from beet juice.
Dear Taxlady

:) I was reffering to the taramosalata ready and packed from the factories. It is widaly sold here in Greece in every market and I really get angry when I see tourists buying it.
If they just read the ingredients it says that it is artifitial color.

Well, anyways one can not save the world...lol

The beetroot juice might be used by some restaurants, i do not know for sure because i order white taramosalata and if they say they have the pink one i just order something else.

thank you for the post though, I will try to learn and inform you :)

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Hi, I don't use beet juice either, I believe it is only the bought stuff that is pink. Here's a picture showing the colour of the smoked cod roe similar to the one I use H. Forman & Son Smoked Cod's Roe | Smoked Fish | The Fishmongers | The Shop | Christmas Hampers | Smoked Salmon | Chocolate Gifts. when I have added the rest of the ingredients and whizzed it up it is a pale pinky beige/cream colour.

All this talk of tarama, I really want to make some now. The recipe I make uses the roe, lemon juice, olive oil and breadcrumbs (or even mashed potato). Sometimes I even use a little grated onion, all pulverised to a lovely smooth creamy pate type consistency. (I think it is the only word in the English language that uses the letter 'a' six times)

Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Hi Souvlaki, thank you for your reply. I actually have some bottarga in my fridge, ready for my next pasta dish (after the puttanesca)!!

I also use a homemade flat bread sprinkled with sesame seeds (or whatever I feel like at the time) to have with tarama..
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Acerbocaid,

Thank you kindly for your link on H. Forman and Son ... shall enjoy the read I am sure.

We shall see if we can get some exemplary Greek ingredients tomorrow to make some --- otherwise, we shall wait until we return to Madrid where I know we can purchase from a friend who owns a Greek Tavern.

Thanks for your contribution and feedback, it is gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
Hi, I don't use beet juice either, I believe it is only the bought stuff that is pink. Here's a picture showing the colour of the smoked cod roe similar to the one I use H. Forman & Son Smoked Cod's Roe | Smoked Fish | The Fishmongers | The Shop | Christmas Hampers | Smoked Salmon | Chocolate Gifts. when I have added the rest of the ingredients and whizzed it up it is a pale pinky beige/cream colour.

All this talk of tarama, I really want to make some now. The recipe I make uses the roe, lemon juice, olive oil and breadcrumbs (or even mashed potato). Sometimes I even use a little grated onion, all pulverised to a lovely smooth creamy pate type consistency. (I think it is the only word in the English language that uses the letter 'a' six times)
Maybe the beet juice is a Montreal thing. I have never bought taramo at a store, I have had it at Greek restos. I asked the owner/chef in a small Greek resto and she told me that she used beet juice to make it that pretty pink colour.

If I were to buy it at a store, I would buy it at my local Greek owned supermarket and ask them what they put to make it pink. They sell it out of a large pan in their deli section.

I didn't read your post carefully and when I looked at the link I thought, "That's not taramo, that's cod roe." Then I read that I was right and then I saw that you had written that it was smoked cod roe. I'm half Danish and I have eaten lots of cod roe. I prefer it as taramasalata. I'm not crazy about it poached, one of the way Danes do it. Have you ever had cod liver pate? OMG, that stuff is so yummy.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Taxlady

No I have never tried cod or any fish liver. :) Must be yummy, and I am going to try and find some, since you say it is good.

Now the traditional old recipe for taramosalata given to me by Giagia Maria, my husbands grandmother is:

-100 gr. white taramas, fish roe
-500 gr. cooked potatoes (or 500 gr. 1 day old bread, soaked in water and drained)
-60 gr. olive oil
-50 gr. fresh lemon juice
-50 gr. onion
-black olives for decorating

Pulse everything in a blender. Add several tablespoons olive oil if needed and serve.

However I like this version more:

MEGA TV:

the video is on greek but I like the plate as they serve it and present it with eggplant salad and potato salad.

ingredients:
-200 gr. white tarama, fish roe
-400 gr. one day old bread, soaked in water and drained
-juice of 1 to 1 and a half lime fruit (if you do not have one lemon is fine)
-1 onion
-2 cloves garlic

olive oil (60-70 gr.), pepper

the difference here is that you saute the onion and the garlic first until caramelized , so it gives a different taste. then you put everything in the blender, onion and garlic, tarams, bread, olive oil.

Enjoy!

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Souvlaki: I love your 2 recipes - Thanks !

Buonasera,

I am crazy for the two recipes that you posted ... I like both versions ... I would like to prepare both and do a private taste testing for two !

Thanks so much for posting.
Margaux.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Souvlaki,

Wow ... quite a different taste profile on Number 2 with the caramelized onion ...

I really love the Classic Number 1; however, I shall try Number 2 for a taste testing and Meze, on the terrace.

Grazie,
Thanks alot.
Margi.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Hi taxlady, no I have never had cod liver pate. I don't think I have seen the liver anywhere to buy either. I'm sure it would be really yummy but the very thought of cod liver makes me think of when I was a child and my Mother used to give me cod liver oil in liquid form to ward off cold and coughs and keep me healthy Revolting stuff it was too.
Scotts Emulsion Original Cod Liver Oil With Vitamin A & D - 12.5 Oz: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

I'm sure if I did try the pate it would be lovely and nothing like my memory
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
Hi taxlady, no I have never had cod liver pate. I don't think I have seen the liver anywhere to buy either. I'm sure it would be really yummy but the very thought of cod liver makes me think of when I was a child and my Mother used to give me cod liver oil in liquid form to ward off cold and coughs and keep me healthy Revolting stuff it was too.
Scotts Emulsion Original Cod Liver Oil With Vitamin A & D - 12.5 Oz: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

I'm sure if I did try the pate it would be lovely and nothing like my memory
Yeah, that cod liver oil is healthy, but nasty stuff. Danish kids get cod liver pate instead. So much nicer. Really important to get your D vitamins when you live in the north.

Tags
ethnic, fish, recipe

Dip: Classic Greek Taramosalata :chef: Classic Greek Taramosalata is one of my favourite Meze or appetisers ... It is so simple to prepare and versatile too ... Enjoy ... CLASSIC GREEK TARAMOSALATA DIP ... Yields: 2 cups approximately :smile: 5 ounces Tarama ( Salmon Roe or poached Codfish ) :yum: 1 thick slice 3 Inches wide Day old Baguette Drizzled with Water & Squeezed 1 Medium boiled and peeled potato 3 scallions chopped very finely 1 Italian horn shaped green pepper chopped very finely Evoo 125 - 185 Ml. which is a half cup to 3/4 cup 2 lemons juiced 1. combine the Roe or Tarama, squeezed bread, boiled potato, horn shaped pepper and scallions in a Food Processor. 2. Pulse Off and On for about 30 seconds 3. slowly add the Evoo very gradually and then, the Lemon Juice and continue pulsing the Food Processor until all the ingredients are well blended and creamy 4. served chilled and garnish with fresh chopped finely parsley and Kalamata black olives and a drizzle of Evoo and a sprinkle of smoked Pimentón La Vera Smoked Cayenne Paprika and warm Pita ... *** I prepare this appetiser with Poached Cod when in Spain which is quite similar and also quite delicious ... *** Also serve with a dry white wine of choice or Prosecco ... Have a lovely day ... I am preparing this today, and shall take a photo, and then, upload it on the thread later or at weekend. Ciao. Have a lovely wkend, Margi. 3 stars 1 reviews