Dip: Classic Greek Taramosalata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Classic Greek Taramosalata is one of my favourite Meze or appetisers ... It is so simple to prepare and versatile too ... Enjoy ...

CLASSIC GREEK TARAMOSALATA DIP ...

Yields: 2 cups approximately :)

5 ounces Tarama ( Salmon Roe or poached Codfish ) :yum:

1 thick slice 3 Inches wide Day old Baguette Drizzled with Water & Squeezed

1 Medium boiled and peeled potato

3 scallions chopped very finely

1 Italian horn shaped green pepper chopped very finely

Evoo 125 - 185 Ml. which is a half cup to 3/4 cup

2 lemons juiced

1. combine the Roe or Tarama, squeezed bread, boiled potato, horn shaped pepper and scallions in a Food Processor.
2. Pulse Off and On for about 30 seconds
3. slowly add the Evoo very gradually and then, the Lemon Juice and continue pulsing the Food Processor until all the ingredients are well blended and creamy
4. served chilled and garnish with fresh chopped finely parsley and Kalamata black olives and a drizzle of Evoo and a sprinkle of smoked Pimentón La Vera Smoked Cayenne Paprika and warm Pita ...

*** I prepare this appetiser with Poached Cod when in Spain which is quite similar and also quite delicious ...

*** Also serve with a dry white wine of choice or Prosecco ...

Have a lovely day ...

I am preparing this today, and shall take a photo, and then, upload it on the thread later or at weekend.

Ciao.
Have a lovely wkend,
Margi.

Last edited by a moderator:
mmmm lovely idea Margi
In Greece taramosalata is served with Lagana Bread (baked and served on Cean Monday it is a flat bread that often contains tahini and wine, with sesame seed on top) olives and halva on Clean Monday.

We eat it only then .... and sometimes when we plan gathering with friends we serve it as a dip or an appetizer on small pieces of bread.

I will wait to see the photo
have a nice day

Souvlaki: Thank you so much for your feedback

:yum: I am very grateful for your translation of the word Taramosalata and your Greek culinary expertise and suggestions ... I absolutely love Taramosalata ...

Have a wonderful Weekend, ;)
Ciao, :cool:
Margi.

Souvlaki,

Speaking of Greek Classic Regional Dishes; I am planning to prepare a Moussaka or Soulvaki for our Sunday Lunch ...

Do you employ Lamb or Beef ?

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Ciao, Margi.

Margi, moussaka is my favorite recipe together with papoutsakia (baked eggplants stuffed with ground meat and topped with bechamel sauce)and I have prepared it many times. I prefer it with beef.

If you are going to prepare the authentic Greek moussaka use ground beef. If you use zucchini or carrots lamb is better I believe.

Soulvaki: Classic Beef Moussaka

Yes, this is what I had thought ... I haven´t made it in quite awhile...

Thanks and appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards,
Ciao.
Margi. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds just a tiny bit different from the one we get at Greek restaurants here. No hot pepper and I think they use some beets or beet juice to make it pink. I love this stuff. I think it is one of the nicest ways to serve fish eggs.

Tax Lady: Taramosalata

Good Evening Linda,

There are many variations on Taramosalata. Some employ Tarama Roe, some Salmon Roe and some Codfish flakes ...

Each family and each Tavern has their own family recipe handed down from generation to generation ...

My Taramosalata is Coral in color too ...

Tomorrow or first thing Saturday morning, I shall have the photo put up.

I have these Greek recipes in actual Photos that I had taken, and they must be scanned and then put on the Computer ... and then, I can post the lovely photo ...

I have eaten in many Greek restaurants and taverns in my time, in Greece, in Italia, in Madrid, in London, Wash. D.C., Manhattan and believe it or not a tiny hole in the wall in the Brickell neighborhood of Miami and all the taramosalata recipes I have had, are slightly different, yet the main ingredient is either the Tarama Roe if possible that it is sold in your town or city and / or the Salmon Roe or poached Cod fish and then, let cool and flake and de-bone and peel ...

Black Kalamatas, cherry tomato, beet skordalia and green olives and Pita ... some feta as a side too ...

Thanks for your feedback ...

Have a lovely wkend.
Margi.

Last edited:
Hi Margi, I love tarama and I make mine with smoked cod's roe, it is so expensive in the U.K. though, I don't make it enough. You can buy a 'so called' taramasalata in the main supermarkets but it bears no resemblance to the real stuff and it tastes nothing like it either.

So many of your posts make me think of the deep blue Mediterranean and long leisurely suppers by the sea. Oh happy days.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Buon Giorno, Buenas Días, Good Morning Acerb,

Mark and Spencer´s had a branch in Calle Serrano in the Madrid Capital, back in the 1990s ( closed over decade or so) and they used to have a really decent one ...

I use salt cod when in Madrid when I cannot get tarama which is not so difficult here in Madrid, and fresh cod when in Puglia ... However, I was just in Corfu, which is 60km. from Bari Port, Puglia for a few days, and have some that was lovely. However, the best I have had was when we spent quite a long period of time in Thessalonikki Port City.

The El Corte Ingles, has a nice Greek Section, as the Hellenic Foreign Trade Ministry does market their classic cuisine from time to time ...

Have great August,
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
There is only one Classic Taramasalata.
Equal quantities of avgotaraho (red caviare) which is the roe of the grey mullet that has been pickled(tarihkion) then left in the sun to dry, then coated in wax to mature. This is pounded in a mortar and pestle with the equal amount of stale bread that has been soaked in water and the squeezed dry.Once you have a smooth paste dribble and work in using the pestle olive oil till you get the correct thickness.The Greek who adds other things is cooking for the tourists or politely called "Kotopoulo"

Bolas,

T.U. for your contribution ... Classic dishes, historically noted in a specific country, are hard to prepare abroad, or in another country, unless they are neighboring countries and even then, there is little guarantee ... The Ingredient availability is a key factor ...

In Spain, I have only had red mullet ( salmonette ) which is a spring seasonal small deep strawberry colored fish that is predominately used in Parchment - Papillote oven baking of the fish or grilled pan style ...

I have not seen Grey Mullet in Spain ...

T.U. for ur contribution.
M.C.

I do love Greek food, yes :)

I am hoping they open up more Greek restaurants here

Kylie,

Thank you for your feedback ... It is always a pleasure to hear from you online.

Are you a Greek Cuisine Enthusiast too ?

Kind regards,
Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.

Margi you should look harder after you are a food journalist , I used to walk up from the Barca in Barcelona to either the market on the Ramblas where you can buy cured grey mullet roe for Tara, I would then walk to the top of the Ramblas to El Corte Inglias to buy the softer tinned grey mullet roe, you will find it in tins of Spanish Caviar in the chill section in the supermarket on the ground floor.The Greek chefs on board would use it to make Taramo Keftethes or rissoles.Grey Mullet is a common fish all over the med, the Greeks use it in Palamitha Sto Harti or Fish cooked in Paper.
I would suggest that if you butcher a "classic" dish because of your inability to find ingredient you just say it my version or whoever you copied it from.

Last edited:
El Corte Inglés Madrid

Bolas,

I had been given the recipe I have posted by a Tavern in Thessalonikki, when we lived there for one year in the early 1990s. It is quite delicious too.

When we return to Madrid on 5th September, I shall go over to the new El Corte Inglés and our local Greek Tavern we go to, and enquire about the Grey Mullet and the Roe you have recommended.

I have never seen grey mullet in Madrid, however, with the Hellenic Foreign Trade Board of Tourism, they are exporting numerous products to the Iberian Peninsula.

Barcelona is totally different ( my view point ) than Madrid. Their food culture is amazing ...

We get up to Barcelona twice a year for a few days, and we totally enjoy the main central Barì Gottì Market ... It is awesome. As a matter of fact, numerous well known Chefs, chow down there for lunch ... There are many taverns inside the Market ... and culinary demonstrations on new products and seasonal products and coaching on the how to´s.

By the way, Barça is the football team.

Thank you for your contribution.
Margaux.

Last edited:
The Spanish for ships berth EmBARCAdoro leaving a port is meaningless to a seaman.Leaving your BARCA or Berth means you left your ship, I would have thought someone as well travelled as you would no that.
In the Catalan language Barsa is the first part of the name of the city the S would be a C in Spanish.
The most common difference between the two cities is Madrid has a large population of Fascists.

Bolas,

I have never lived in Barcelona and have never studied the language of Catalan. I speak Italian since my father was Italian, Portuguese, German and French as m Mom is French Swiss, Spanish which I have studied at secondary and university and native English.

We all have our cups of tea.

My husband and I enjoy the Madrid Capital for professional horizons in our fields, its exhuberent international Art exhibitions, the London and Broadway theatrical productions on going, the vastness of multi ethnic restaurants and gastronomically speaking and we have friends here too.

Have a nice August.
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:
Kylie, Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

After regional Italian which is my home base cuisine, Greek & Aegean Island are my favorite regional cuisines ...

I am big on shellfish, fish and seafood and lots of veggies.

I do eat roast lamb, prime rib steak, feathered game, poultry and some types of ham or roast lion of pork, however, more for holidays and wkends. and alot lesser than Pasta, salads and veggies.

I close wishing u a lovely evening Kylie.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom