"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Dip: Classic Greek Taramosalata

Classic Greek Taramosalata is one of my favourite Meze or appetisers ... It is so simple to prepare and versatile too ... Enjoy ...

CLASSIC GREEK TARAMOSALATA DIP ...

Yields: 2 cups approximately

5 ounces Tarama ( Salmon Roe or poached Codfish )

1 thick slice 3 Inches wide Day old Baguette Drizzled with Water & Squeezed

1 Medium boiled and peeled potato

3 scallions chopped very finely

1 Italian horn shaped green pepper chopped very finely

Evoo 125 - 185 Ml. which is a half cup to 3/4 cup

2 lemons juiced

1. combine the Roe or Tarama, squeezed bread, boiled potato, horn shaped pepper and scallions in a Food Processor.
2. Pulse Off and On for about 30 seconds
3. slowly add the Evoo very gradually and then, the Lemon Juice and continue pulsing the Food Processor until all the ingredients are well blended and creamy
4. served chilled and garnish with fresh chopped finely parsley and Kalamata black olives and a drizzle of Evoo and a sprinkle of smoked Pimentón La Vera Smoked Cayenne Paprika and warm Pita ...

*** I prepare this appetiser with Poached Cod when in Spain which is quite similar and also quite delicious ...

*** Also serve with a dry white wine of choice or Prosecco ...

Have a lovely day ...

I am preparing this today, and shall take a photo, and then, upload it on the thread later or at weekend.

Ciao.
Have a lovely wkend,
Margi.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Cook

mmmm lovely idea Margi
In Greece taramosalata is served with Lagana Bread (baked and served on Cean Monday it is a flat bread that often contains tahini and wine, with sesame seed on top) olives and halva on Clean Monday.

We eat it only then .... and sometimes when we plan gathering with friends we serve it as a dip or an appetizer on small pieces of bread.

I will wait to see the photo
have a nice day

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Souvlaki: Thank you so much for your feedback

I am very grateful for your translation of the word Taramosalata and your Greek culinary expertise and suggestions ... I absolutely love Taramosalata ...

Have a wonderful Weekend,
Ciao,
Margi.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Souvlaki,

Speaking of Greek Classic Regional Dishes; I am planning to prepare a Moussaka or Soulvaki for our Sunday Lunch ...

Do you employ Lamb or Beef ?

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Ciao, Margi.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Margi, moussaka is my favorite recipe together with papoutsakia (baked eggplants stuffed with ground meat and topped with bechamel sauce)and I have prepared it many times. I prefer it with beef.

If you are going to prepare the authentic Greek moussaka use ground beef. If you use zucchini or carrots lamb is better I believe.

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Soulvaki: Classic Beef Moussaka

Yes, this is what I had thought ... I haven´t made it in quite awhile...

Thanks and appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards,
Ciao.
Margi.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sounds just a tiny bit different from the one we get at Greek restaurants here. No hot pepper and I think they use some beets or beet juice to make it pink. I love this stuff. I think it is one of the nicest ways to serve fish eggs.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Tax Lady: Taramosalata

Good Evening Linda,

There are many variations on Taramosalata. Some employ Tarama Roe, some Salmon Roe and some Codfish flakes ...

Each family and each Tavern has their own family recipe handed down from generation to generation ...

My Taramosalata is Coral in color too ...

Tomorrow or first thing Saturday morning, I shall have the photo put up.

I have these Greek recipes in actual Photos that I had taken, and they must be scanned and then put on the Computer ... and then, I can post the lovely photo ...

I have eaten in many Greek restaurants and taverns in my time, in Greece, in Italia, in Madrid, in London, Wash. D.C., Manhattan and believe it or not a tiny hole in the wall in the Brickell neighborhood of Miami and all the taramosalata recipes I have had, are slightly different, yet the main ingredient is either the Tarama Roe if possible that it is sold in your town or city and / or the Salmon Roe or poached Cod fish and then, let cool and flake and de-bone and peel ...

Black Kalamatas, cherry tomato, beet skordalia and green olives and Pita ... some feta as a side too ...

Thanks for your feedback ...

Have a lovely wkend.
Margi.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Lovely dip Margi
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Kylie,

Thank you for your feedback ... It is always a pleasure to hear from you online.

Are you a Greek Cuisine Enthusiast too ?

Kind regards,
Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.

Tags
ethnic, fish, recipe

Dip: Classic Greek Taramosalata :chef: Classic Greek Taramosalata is one of my favourite Meze or appetisers ... It is so simple to prepare and versatile too ... Enjoy ... CLASSIC GREEK TARAMOSALATA DIP ... Yields: 2 cups approximately :smile: 5 ounces Tarama ( Salmon Roe or poached Codfish ) :yum: 1 thick slice 3 Inches wide Day old Baguette Drizzled with Water & Squeezed 1 Medium boiled and peeled potato 3 scallions chopped very finely 1 Italian horn shaped green pepper chopped very finely Evoo 125 - 185 Ml. which is a half cup to 3/4 cup 2 lemons juiced 1. combine the Roe or Tarama, squeezed bread, boiled potato, horn shaped pepper and scallions in a Food Processor. 2. Pulse Off and On for about 30 seconds 3. slowly add the Evoo very gradually and then, the Lemon Juice and continue pulsing the Food Processor until all the ingredients are well blended and creamy 4. served chilled and garnish with fresh chopped finely parsley and Kalamata black olives and a drizzle of Evoo and a sprinkle of smoked Pimentón La Vera Smoked Cayenne Paprika and warm Pita ... *** I prepare this appetiser with Poached Cod when in Spain which is quite similar and also quite delicious ... *** Also serve with a dry white wine of choice or Prosecco ... Have a lovely day ... I am preparing this today, and shall take a photo, and then, upload it on the thread later or at weekend. Ciao. Have a lovely wkend, Margi. 3 stars 1 reviews