Dried Beef Cheese Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has been my experience that the pkg of dried beef is 'formed' sliced meat while the jar is actual slices of the beef.

Just thought I would update you guys. Took the cheese ball to dinner on Friday, everyone said it was good, and I liked it, so that was all that mattered in the end I guess! I used the refrigerated beef, and 3 tsps. of drained horseradish, (NOT the 3 tablespoons the recipe called for). I still have some cream cheese and cheddar cheese left over, AND a jar of beef, so I may try it that way sometime this week. Just to see the difference. All this time I never knew that SOS used the beef in the jar, not sure what I thought it was, but never that! :ROFLMAO: Pam

Glad your cheese ball was a success. My mil used to make baked chicken dish with the beef in a jar. She took boneless chicken breasts, added a slice of onion atop each, then a slice of the "beef in a jar", then wrapped with bacon, put in casserole and added a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and sour cream... It was actually pretty tasty.

Glad your recipe turned out well, and yes it is always fun to try the variations.

I am amazed that everyone buys either the package or the jar. Both are okay in my opinion, but not nearly as good as the stuff at the deli. The deli counter at my grocery has "air dried beef" that I order Chipped.

Oh - it is AWESOME! Not salty at all, just a really good beefy flavor.

If you have an opportunity, check at your deli counter and see if they have the air dried beef too... you will be AMAZED at the difference!

Alexa

could you substitute Bacon Bits instead? the sort you put on some salads or baked potatoes.
I`ve never seen dried beef in the UK :(

I'm sure you could use bacon bits, in fact that sounds pretty good. Are you able to get the packaged lunch meat in the UK that is really really thin? That's what I ended up using anyway. You could even use the ham lunch meat also. Like someone else said, with the cheese ball you can go from the basic recipe and just add what sounds good to you. The cream cheese is the base and main ingredient.:)

Army Pam said:
Just thought I would update you guys. Took the cheese ball to dinner on Friday, everyone said it was good, and I liked it, so that was all that mattered in the end I guess! I used the refrigerated beef, and 3 tsps. of drained horseradish, (NOT the 3 tablespoons the recipe called for). I still have some cream cheese and cheddar cheese left over, AND a jar of beef, so I may try it that way sometime this week. Just to see the difference. All this time I never knew that SOS used the beef in the jar, not sure what I thought it was, but never that! :ROFLMAO: Pam

Oh man when she said her mother made the gravy with the beef in the jar I was going to ask if her mother called it SOS also!!!! the gravy over toast mmm I actually loved that as a kid!!! I have never made it but I may have to just to see if I would still like it. The cheese ball sounds great, I am getting great ideas for the holidays!!!

Special

Constance said:
Either one will work, but I prefer the kind in the jar. I've never rinsed it though. I just don't add any other salt to the dish.

Have a 'special' party this weekend. You do prefer the kind in the jar and don't rinse it? do you like this one? I see so many recipes on the site for appetizers and I rarely ever make them. Always have to make the meal. I just want to be sure you like this too. Thanks

SOS = S..t on a shingle....an old Military breakfast dish .
Dried beef in a cream sauce served over toast.
I made it with hamburger and cream of mushroom soup/3/4 can of water.
Paul loved this.
Thanks for the memory
Dove

Dove said:
SOS = S..t on a shingle....an old Military breakfast dish .
Dried beef in a cream sauce served over toast.
I made it with hamburger and cream of mushroom soup/3/4 can of water.
Paul loved this.
Thanks for the memory
Dove
Thanks Dove, that does sound good to me too, Paul had good taste ! Love SOS too !!

My favorite using chipped beef is the pineapple/green onion/red pepper/cream cheese ball - it's awesome!!!! I think there's some horseradish in there too!

kitchenelf

kitchenelf said:
My favorite using chipped beef is the pineapple/green onion/red pepper/cream cheese ball - it's awesome!!!! I think there's some horseradish in there too!

That's what I need, kitchenelf, something AWESOME! Did you give the recipe someplace here? If so, I missed it or I am too worried to see it. I have used your recipes in the past and you know your stuff! All good stuff!! Thanks for sharing w/me your recipes. Has to be prepared today, tomorrow I will be bag of nerves. As if I am not that way everyday.

Maybe i will fix two different recipes for t he party. That way they will know I really try. Or is that going overboard? I really never pay attention to appetizers.

The good ole SOS.

Dried beef and cream gravy on toast. I always heard that it was "chipped beef on toast", but I'm familiar with the other terminology as well.

Pretty decent for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom