"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I can't seem to get any flavor into eggplant, even though I follow recipe instructions. I guess I am eggplant challenged!

Try my recipe, it is fairly simple. I am adding step by step pictures.

1. Chop peppers and tomatoes and fry them up a little bit in very little olive oil and add seasoning. I like salt, paprika and cayenne pepper. And a little bit of fresh garlic.
2. I use food processor to chop everything finely. Also I add a little bit of bread crumbs so the mixture is not too runny. Taste and reason if necessary.
3. Sauté or grill eggplant, salted lightly.
4. Spread the mixture on the top of eggplant. Sprinkle some fresh chopped garlic. Serve it hot or warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00195.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	9559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00196.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	9560  

Name:	DSC00197.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	9561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00198.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	9562  

Name:	DSC00199.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	9563  

Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #32
Master Chef

Moderators, please add some tags here. There really should be an easier way to add tags.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
Head Chef

Thanks. If I ever get over this cold and can actually taste again I will try that. Should I salt and drain the eggplant first? I hear that is supposed to take out some of the bitterness that eggplant can have.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--eggplant! One of my favorite plants to have in the garden. I love the velvety leaves, the little purple flowers, watching the eggplant fruit grow into lucious, deep purple fruits...Eggplant is much aligned in North America. I use eggplant cubes in place of mushrooms in tomato sauces, I deep-fry it like you'd deep fry zucchini fingers, I make eggplant cavier, I slice it thin, bread it with egg-milk-seasoned bread crumbs and "bake it" at 400 for 15 minutes, flip it, bake another 10 minutes and use it in moussaka or eggplant paramesean (rather than frying it) (slice them really thin, and they are yummy chips--and these chips freeze well). I toss cubes of it into chili...I peel it, cube it, blanche it, and freeze it...can you tell I like eggplant?

And no, eggplant doesn't, by itself, have a lot of flavor. It acts like a sponge and absorbs the garlic, etc. in the sauces, marinades, etc. My DH, who is not an eggplant fan, has decided he does like eggplant parmesean and moussaka. And, the "eggplant" fingers or chips don't hang around very long if he's in the kitchen.

Thanks to this thread, I have more ideas of what to do with eggplant. Which, btw, is a very prolific plant in my garden..that reminds me, I'll have to start the seeds soon....time to dust off the "grow stand" and set everything up...the plants take a little longer than pepper plants to reach the size I want them to be when it is time to plant them...this year, I'm adding white eggplant and the striped ones (purple and white) to the garden. Hopefully this year's seeds will germinate, I have only been successful with Black Beauty in the past. 20 years of growing eggplant and still love it.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Thanks. If I ever get over this cold and can actually taste again I will try that. Should I salt and drain the eggplant first? I hear that is supposed to take out some of the bitterness that eggplant can have.
I always used to do that, but I've stopped, either I'm loosing my taste buds or it is not really bitter.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

@ radhuni...oh, the baby looks soooo sweet!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

My favorite eggplant dish is roasted eggplant until it is soft, and smashing it up with lemon and tahini, and some sea salt!!! I am going to the store now!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by violettedawn View Post
My favorite eggplant dish is roasted eggplant until it is soft, and smashing it up with lemon and tahini, and some sea salt!!! I am going to the store now!!!!
Add some garlic and you have babaganoush, a yummy dip. Don't forget to drain the eggplant for a few minutes. I forgot the last time I made it and it was a bit watery.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #39
Cook

Funny pizza and picture ^^
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #40
Senior Cook

I have had 2 of my BEST subs that I have EVER eaten been parm. eggplant subs..They were TO DIE FOR delicious...however, its been close to 15 yrs. since I have tried this dish. :( Truth is, was that it gave me awful, terrible "gas episodes"....therefor; I now avoid it like the plague, KNOWING how AWESOME it tastes...Anyone else have this happen to them, &, if so, HOW did you overcome your fear of eating eggplant W/O that awful side-affect? (again, maybe its just a "me" thing here...but...I would seriously love to give eggplant another "go", ya know?)

Tags
None