"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 06-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #31
Master Chef

I can't speak for England, but the crumpets I've had here in the States are completely different from English Muffins. You don't split them, & they have smooth tops perforated with lots of little holes that allows butter to melt into them.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Here's my recipe for crumpets which I posted a while back. Nothing nicer on a cold, wet winter's afternoon than a hot, toasted crumpet with lashings of butter dripping down your chin!

Crumpets for afternoon tea

Old 06-06-2006, 03:23 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnsey
I always thought an English muffin was rather like a baked crumpet. Anyone else think so? My English boyfriend says that in England, there's no such thing as an "English muffin". Of course we also had a Danish exchange student tell us that in Denmark, they don't have a pastry called a "Danish". :) Interesting, isn't it?
BreezyC is right our crumpets are not like muffins - your boyfriend is also right - as I stated above, we only have 'muffins', we don't use the word 'English'... but then we call the sweet muffins 'American-style'...

But then again, what the English name 'Scotch pancakes', the Scots call dropped scones (spoonfuls of batter are dropped onto a hot girdle).
Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #34
Head Chef

Crumpets are much more popular in our house than muffins (English muffins to you lot, LOL). Although, I top muffins with something rather uncharmingly refered to as "catsick" in our family. Tinned sardines, drained of oil or brine and mashed up with tomato ketchup, cheddar cheese and a good splash of Worcestershire Sauce. Sounds and looks awful but tastes gorgeous. We sometimes have cat sick on toast, and on crumpets, but I think crumpets are best with honey dripping through those holes!

Ishbel, Scotch pancakes or drop scones, whatever the name they are delicious!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Yes, I do know what crumpets are and have even experimented with making them at home. I've even had a few in jolly old England. I was actually just considering the origin of the term "English muffin" and I thought if a person used her imagination a little, you could see where a crumpet evolved into an English muffin. No research, just an idea I had. Perhaps I have too much time on my hands.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #36
Executive Chef

The doughs are totally different, though, Dawnsey.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Oh well, so much for my imagination!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #38
Executive Chef

It's always permissible to allow flights of fancy, Dawnsey!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Our "american" english muffin is more of a crusty breast, with lots of holes in the dough to capture butter, or jam. The crumpet, at least the ones I have found here in my store, are a softer dough when toasted, though they still have the holes. I prefer Thomas's english muffins, or any store version.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #40
Sous Chef

The possibilities are endless, but I usally have them as a breakfast food. You could make an eggs benedict which is delicous, and EggMcMuffin which is like a hand-held egggs benedict, or just top both haves with butter and berry preserves and have them with tea.

Tags
None