English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like mine best with butter, peanut butter, and honey. A lovely gooey dripping mess.

But there are some great alternatives here that I will have to try.

The recipes are all great, and have made me very hungry. I tried so many of them. Anything on an English muffin is great

The butter, peanut butter, and honey is one of my favorites.

Something I have not made in many years is Welsh rarebit, that is great on the muffins.

Peanut butter, apple butter, jams, jellies and Nutella! They also make a lovely peanut butter & bacon sandwich.

Dakota

A good cream sauce with seafood mixed in is excellent on English muffins!!!! I also like to toast them, add a thick slice of a tomato on it and them top with a favorite cheese, put under the broiler for a couple of minutes, too.

English muffins

I like them for breakfast toasted, with butter or jelly on them. I also like to make breakfast sandwiches. Tuna melts - tuna mixed with mayonnaise on an English muffin with a slice of cheddar cheese on top toasted, is delicious. I don't often think to make individual pizzas with them although sometimes I like to slice a pita bread to use as a pizza crust with toppings.

I too loved English Muffin Pizzas when I was little. We seemed to always have them at slumber parties. I think I will be making them again soon! I alos love toasted english muffins spread with penut butter and honey.
Here's a good appatizer recipe:

Crabbies

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that "blast from the past" recipe!! What we'd call a "crab melt" - although way back when my mom made it for us kids she used tuna & thus it was a "tuna melt". Only other difference was that she used grated cheddar cheese instead of the Kraft spread.

For anyone game to try it, I posted a recipe for muffins on here a while back. Don't bother to make my own very often, cos my local bakery makes GREAT muffins (we don't call them English, we just call the 'other' type, American-style!)

crumpets?

I always thought an English muffin was rather like a baked crumpet. Anyone else think so? My English boyfriend says that in England, there's no such thing as an "English muffin". Of course we also had a Danish exchange student tell us that in Denmark, they don't have a pastry called a "Danish". :) Interesting, isn't it?

I can't speak for England, but the crumpets I've had here in the States are completely different from English Muffins. You don't split them, & they have smooth tops perforated with lots of little holes that allows butter to melt into them.

Dawnsey said:
I always thought an English muffin was rather like a baked crumpet. Anyone else think so? My English boyfriend says that in England, there's no such thing as an "English muffin". Of course we also had a Danish exchange student tell us that in Denmark, they don't have a pastry called a "Danish". :) Interesting, isn't it?

BreezyC is right our crumpets are not like muffins - your boyfriend is also right - as I stated above, we only have 'muffins', we don't use the word 'English'... but then we call the sweet muffins 'American-style'... :chef:

But then again, what the English name 'Scotch pancakes', the Scots call dropped scones (spoonfuls of batter are dropped onto a hot girdle).

Crumpets are much more popular in our house than muffins (English muffins to you lot, LOL). Although, I top muffins with something rather uncharmingly refered to as "catsick" in our family. Tinned sardines, drained of oil or brine and mashed up with tomato ketchup, cheddar cheese and a good splash of Worcestershire Sauce. Sounds and looks awful but tastes gorgeous. We sometimes have cat sick on toast, and on crumpets, but I think crumpets are best with honey dripping through those holes!

Ishbel, Scotch pancakes or drop scones, whatever the name they are delicious!

Yes, I do know what crumpets are and have even experimented with making them at home. I've even had a few in jolly old England. I was actually just considering the origin of the term "English muffin" and I thought if a person used her imagination a little, you could see where a crumpet evolved into an English muffin. No research, just an idea I had. Perhaps I have too much time on my hands. :rolleyes:

Our "american" english muffin is more of a crusty breast, with lots of holes in the dough to capture butter, or jam. The crumpet, at least the ones I have found here in my store, are a softer dough when toasted, though they still have the holes. I prefer Thomas's english muffins, or any store version.

The possibilities are endless, but I usally have them as a breakfast food. You could make an eggs benedict which is delicous, and EggMcMuffin which is like a hand-held egggs benedict, or just top both haves with butter and berry preserves and have them with tea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom