Feta cheese marinated in olive oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had wonderful tasting goats milk and awful tasting stuff. The organic stuff I got at the health food store sometimes tasted of mint or garlic. The awful tasting stuff smelled of billy goat. The best goat's milk I ever tasted was on Mallorca.

Oh that "billy goat" taste (and smell). A friend of mine can't stand the thought of any goat cheese. She grew up on a farm where they raised goats...there is definitely a distinct "odor" to billy goats.

I imagine that milk goats are like wool sheep. The feed makes a huge difference. I prefer milk from Wisconsin over milk from ON (I swear it is the plastic bags and the feed). Organic milk from Vermont is also a favorite of mine. But milk from ON:sick:. I once read an article on the importance of the feed and the flavor of the milk. I think most ON dairy farmers feed silage that has a high corn content. WI dairy farmers feed silage with a high sweet clover content...maybe I need to find a Nubian goat farmer who feeds the goats sweet clover ... :)

No self respecting goat dairy farmer would run a buck with the milkers. I keep just two dairy goats now and take them to a clean tested herd to breed. I buy enough rich local alfalfa for the year. They also eat a grain mix and some comfrey and nibble on some greens in their pasture. Clean fresh water. Clean barns. Wash udder before and after milking. Seamless stainless steel milk bucket and dairy filter. Sterilized canning jars to hold milk. Chill fast.

Back
Top Bottom