"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Feta cheese marinated in olive oil

From raw goat milk, feta starter, lipase, and rennet I have made some half gallon batches of feta cheese. After two weeks of salt water brining in the refrigerator, I cut into smaller 1/2" cubes layered with rosemary, chili flakes, bay leaves, and peppercorns, covered with olive oil. It tastes wonderful. But I'm wondering: (1) should it be in the refrigerator or cupboard? (2) How long will it last? (3) What uses other than salads?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Head Chef

I would keep it refrigerated. Use it in pasta dishes, bruschetta or crostini, rice or couscous dishes, omelettes; add to roasted potatoes, stuffed tomatoes or mushrooms, stuffed chicken breasts, roasted asparagus...

Here's some info from David Lebovitz:
"...Some say that if the cheese is completely covered with the oil, you can let it sit around at room temperature. But if Im not going to eat mine within 24 hours, I do stick it in the refrigerator where I like to consume it within two weeks..."
Marinated Feta Recipe | David Lebovitz

Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage View Post
From raw goat milk, feta starter, lipase, and rennet I have made some half gallon batches of feta cheese. After two weeks of salt water brining in the refrigerator, I cut into smaller 1/2" cubes layered with rosemary, chili flakes, bay leaves, and peppercorns, covered with olive oil. It tastes wonderful. But I'm wondering: (1) should it be in the refrigerator or cupboard? (2) How long will it last? (3) What uses other than salads?
Was the rosemary fresh or dried?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

And where did you get the raw goat milk.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Can you post the recipe? I'd love to make my own feta cheese! buying a jar from the supermarket is soo expensive.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Half Baked

Chance of botulism if you used fresh rosemary and bay, I would do some research.30-35 percent of botulism cases end in death.
The oils in the store with herbs have acids or additives in them to prevent bacterial growth.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Raw goat milk from my own goat. I know where she came from, what she eats, and how the milk was handled. Herbs fresh from my own cuttings. Clean organic olive oil. At 7000' not much botulism growing here. Method used by Greek farmers and other goat milkers for centuries. The oil acts as a preservative, cheese cubes deeply submerged after being brined in sea salt for two weeks. I layered whole peppercorns, red pepper flakes, sprigs of Rosemary, fresh Bay leaves and cumin seeds with cubes of Feta, covering with olive oil as I filled sterilized glass canning jars. Perhaps a tsp of each herb per pint jar.

David Lebovitz has a good recipe but buys all his ingredients so refrigeration may be best. Most chemicals used in food processing are to extend shelf life.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Oh.. well.. I was hoping to get some for us as well.

Though I am not raising goats...
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Feta without your own goats

You could probably buy good feta, cut into cubes, layer with herbs and cover with olive oil and refrigerate to end up with something like those expensive jars available in ethnic cheese section of markets. Probably less expensive and tastier too. Goat people here say the longer it marinates in oil the tastier it gets. I've already finished one of my 10 pints in salad, an omlette, with whole grain bread and a glass of wine.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage View Post
Raw goat milk from my own goat. I know where she came from, what she eats, and how the milk was handled. Herbs fresh from my own cuttings. Clean organic olive oil. At 7000' not much botulism growing here. Method used by Greek farmers and other goat milkers for centuries. The oil acts as a preservative, cheese cubes deeply submerged after being brined in sea salt for two weeks. I layered whole peppercorns, red pepper flakes, sprigs of Rosemary, fresh Bay leaves and cumin seeds with cubes of Feta, covering with olive oil as I filled sterilized glass canning jars. Perhaps a tsp of each herb per pint jar.

David Lebovitz has a good recipe but buys all his ingredients so refrigeration may be best. Most chemicals used in food processing are to extend shelf life.
Your high altitude is actually a better breeding ground for botulism.
I am not disputing what you are doing but please read this.It is from Colorado State University.

Botulism

This too.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Avoid-the-...ils&id=3424087

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese, feta cheese, oil, other