Fish spread for crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe, possibly, but why would anyone open an airtight package and put it in a plain bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

To divide the amount? RB said it was frozen, so his friend may have opened the package he bought, divided the fish into two new FoodSaver type bags and put them back in the freezer.

It's just a guess. That type of smoked fish, sold in different places, was the only result from my Google search.

Or maybe the friend got it from someone who made something like that product and just used the name, in which case there's no way to determine what it is without contacting whoever made it.

I guess we should go back to the question what are "goldies"?
There are some smoke houses, especially on the way to Duluth. Where they smoke all kind of fish that is cut in the lakes. So it could be the same fish as you posted but smoked in a small place rather than place like Morries

Last edited:
Yup. It's been a long time since I've had freshwater fish regularly, so I'm not as familiar with it. I grew up in Michigan but have lived in Virginia since 1985, so we have seafood more often.

Here's information on what I believe is your fish: "Morey’s Smoked Whiting (goldies) are hot-smoked, combining the large flaky meat and semi-moist texture with the smoky flavor from 100% hickory smoke."

Smoked Fish - Morey's

Thanks for the geography lesson. ;)
What I have looks exactly like what is pictured here from your link. http://www.moreys.com/product/smoked-whiting-goldies/ According to your link, this is a salt water fish which makes no sense at the moment.
Appreciate your help GG.

Maybe, possibly, but why would anyone open an airtight package and put it in a plain bag?

Thats kinda why I asked. We get some smoked fish here. Mainly trout that is smoked and vacuumed packed by the manufacturer. Needs no refrigeration that I am aware of. I could be wrong on that.
I was a bit surprised to see the self vacuumed and labeled bag. But they do look exactly like this. Smoked Whiting (Goldies) - Morey's
Exactly.

To divide the amount? RB said it was frozen, so his friend may have opened the package he bought, divided the fish into two new FoodSaver type bags and put them back in the freezer.
It's just a guess. That type of smoked fish, sold in different places, was the only result from my Google search.
Or maybe the friend got it from someone who made something like that product and just used the name, in which case there's no way to determine what it is without contacting whoever made it.

The picture from your link looks identical and I would put money its the exact same product. Even the size is perfect and the color of the flesh showing at the big end is the same. Its dark.

I guess we should go back to the question what are "goldies"?
There are some smoke houses, especially on the way to Duluth. Where they smoke all kind of fish that is cut in the lakes. So it could be the same fish as you posted but smoked in a small place rather than place like Morries

According to GG's link, this is white fish and a salt water fish. I would never have thought that.
I guess its time to try it out.
I want to make a dip or spread with it. I have not paid any attention to the thread, so I will look back and see how to make something with it.
If its very good, I may just serve it as is. With cold beer and some hot sauce on the side?

You can mix it with cream cheese or mayo. You can add chives, dill, parsley. What do you like?

Interesting. I guess we both assumed it was a freshwater fish since it's from an inland state, but apparently they import and smoke them.

Btw, there's a Great Lakes fish called whitefish but this appears to be a type of white fish called whiting ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
I just looked this up for my own edification and thought I'd share. From Wikipedia:

The fish originally known by the name "whiting" in English is Merlangius merlangus, in the family Gadidae. This species inhabits the eastern Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, as well as the North Sea on the East Coast of Britain. In the USA, it is commonly known as the English whiting.

The lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeiformis) is a species of freshwater whitefish from North America. Lake whitefish are found throughout much of Canada and parts of the northern United States, including all of the Great Lakes.

There are many fish species that are euryhaline. Capable of living in fresh, brackish and saltwater.

Interesting. I guess we both assumed it was a freshwater fish since it's from an inland state, but apparently they import and smoke them.

Btw, there's a Great Lakes fish called whitefish but this appears to be a type of white fish called whiting ;) :LOL:

You were spot on with your link. My friend verified yesterday that indeed it was the same fish and the same manufacturer.

I hope for RB's sake it's not goldeye he has. From Know your fish - Winnipeg Free Press

I hope i don't have that either. It looks like this is settled. Now, what to do with it. I wish I had left it frozen. :rolleyes:
I guess it should last a good while in the fridge?

Last edited:
Whenever we drive through Winnipeg on the way to either side of the country my ritual is to buy some Kryopacked smoked Goldeye. They last forever in the fridge unopened. I did once have frozen then thawed GE. Yes it was awful!

Had this fish been in its original package, I would not have asked about it.
And yes, I'm concerned about it being frozen no matter the type of fish.
My friend and his wife are far from culinary masters. :LOL:
You would think this fish was separated from its original package as its in a vacuum bag from a roll.

Had this fish been in its original package, I would not have asked about it.
And yes, I'm concerned about it being frozen no matter the type of fish.
My friend and his wife are far from culinary masters. :LOL:
You would think this fish was separated from its original package as its in a vacuum bag from a roll.
Can your friend contact the person who gave him the fish to find out if it had been frozen?
If so the texture will not be the same as unfrozen fish.
I see 'Previously Frozen' packages of fish in the local stores sometimes. I don't buy it.

Can your friend contact the person who gave him the fish to find out if it had been frozen?
If so the texture will not be the same as unfrozen fish.
I see 'Previously Frozen' packages of fish in the local stores sometimes. I don't buy it.

I came up with an excellent idea. I'm going to taste/try it!

Thanks for all the suggestions and merry Christmas to all. :)

Back
Top Bottom