"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 05-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
Master Chef

For Cheese Lovers only

For those of you who have not yet tried it, you have got to get your hands on some extra-sharp Pinconning Cheese. It is an aged Colby, but created in Michigan. It is creamy and open textured with a flavor that will either curl your hair, or straighten it. It melts nicely, and is best served at room temperature. At 1 year aged Pinconning has as much flavor as a four year old cheddar.

I first tried it a t a freind's home up in Ontario. With the first bite, my toes curled, and my jaw muscles ached just a bit. Really good, sharp cheese does that to me. It was, to be totally cliche, love at first bite.

I will always adore a well crafted, aged cheddar, and a quality Colby. But sometimes, I just want Pinconning.

There are so many cheeses I love, and extra-sharp Pinconning is up there among the best.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Head Chef

First time heraing of this cheese. I may have to look for it.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

For all of you aged cheddar lovers out there, I have two sites for you to check out - Igourmet Cheese - igourmet Cheese: Shop For Gourmet Cheese by Milk Country Type Texture Variety. Best Online Cheese Selection, and this - Aged - Cheese

Though it's not shown on the Frankenmuth Cheese Haus site I have purchased 15 year aged white cheddar, which was delicious, and 17 aged white cheddar that was a little too funky for my taste buds. They have many kinds of cheese there, but are a bit pricey.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

Another fan of old cheddar.

Try a crispy cracker, a thin slice of old cheddar cheese and a dab of strawberry preserves!

Former President Jimmy Carter is also a fan of cheddar cheese and strawberry jam, the Carter Family enjoys this slightly more complicated version.

https://carter.blogs.archives.gov/20...s-cheese-ring/

Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
Senior Cook

My fave sharp cheese used to be cheddar.. I like Vermont. New York and Canadian. Here lately I've been cutting a hunk of Parmasiano Regiano.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Camembert

We had a cheese tasting while on a river cruise through the Provence. We discovered we loved Camembert. so we bought some. We discovered, much to our dismay that as our Camembert ripened, it gave off a powerful smell! We kept it in our refrigerator and had it in a zip lock bag and covered in aluminum foil. That helped some, but it was still pungent. None of the little towns we stopped at had markets to buy more zip lock bags until we got to Dijon.
Our tour manager told me of a market named Lafayette 4 blocks away that should have something. I found the place, and much to my dismay, it was a 6 floor department store! I found the directory, and headed up to house wares on the top floor. They did not have any bags, but I found a round Tupperware that would work. It cost as much as the 2 wheels of cheese, but we had to do something.
Kathy told me it was going in my suitcase on the way home because she did not want her clothes smelled up!
My only concern about going through customs and immigration was the cheese. I could see one of the beagles they use taking one sniff and rolling over! The cheese container did its job and I did not have any stinky clothes.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For Cheese Lovers only

Cheese/meat sniffing beagles are the worst (or wurst), and good at what they do. They also are good at detecting fruits or vegetables. Thankfully we haven't been caught yet with my wheel of Laughing Cow cheese. I always pack a bunch of ziplocks. They use a German shepherd or a lab at the Cozumel airport to sniff suitcases.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Our tour manager told me of a market named Lafayette 4 blocks away that should have something. I found the place, and much to my dismay, it was a 6 floor department store!

My only concern about going through customs and immigration was the cheese. I could see one of the beagles they use taking one sniff and rolling over! The cheese container did its job and I did not have any stinky clothes.

Galeries Lafayette in Paris?

Dismay? Its one of my favorite places in the world!!!!! And it sells great cheese!!

You were lucky at customs. Cheese that's not vacuum packed is a no-no.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Dismay? Its one of my favorite places in the world!!!!! And it sells great cheese!!

It was their Dijon store. It was a beautiful store, but I just wanted to get something to pack the cheese, and had a time constraint to get back to the bus.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

I love that store, too! My wife always loved the fashion show, while I prefer shopping the gourmet food and wine shop.

Last time in Paris, we were there during the height of the mad cow scare. I remember having two saucisson (cured sausages) confiscated in Philly customs coming back. Even though I bought them in the CDG duty free shop, and they contained no beef, and were supposedly packaged properly. Bummer. I'm sure the custom agents enjoyed them.

Tags
cheese