"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Half Baked

Fresh artichoke dip

I made this over the weekend and liked it much better than canned version. It has BIG artichoke flavor versus the canned popular recipe. I also lightened it up by using less mayo and sour cream.

4 med. artichokes with cut tops, outer leaves removed,stalks peeled and insides scooped.

1 onion large dice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 clove garlic chopped
1/4 pickled jalapeno rings
1 cup finely grated parmesan (fresh)
1/3 cup mayo
1/3 cup sour cream
squirt of sri hacha

oven to 350
Place artichokes,onions,garlic in a med hot skillet with olive oil for sauteing.Let cook for a minute or two then add the wine and cover.Reduce heat to a simmer cook until tender.(1/2 hour+-)

Let cool to handle then pull off any leaves that would be too tough to eat whole.Place the remainder of the chokes and the onions in a FP along with the jalepenos.With a spoon scrape the tougher leaves to remove the remaing meat on them.This scraping step is optional but will bring huge flavor.

Pulse chokes,onions etc to a chunky consistancy.Combine mixture with the rest of the ingredients and taste to make any adjustments. Place in a buttered oven proof dish and Bake for about 30 minutes until slightly browned.

Serve with whatever chips you like.

I may try using some fresh jalepeno next time to kick up the heat a little since this is pretty mild.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This interests me, sounds lovely, 4Me, thanks!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I love artichokes and this sounds wonderful .. thanks !!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

looks great, 4me. thanks. c&p'd.

i was looking for a good arty choked recipe for super bowl sunday. my family likes ones with spinach added as is often served in restaurants, so i might do that. also, make it a healthier version to please my gym rat wife by using low fat mayo and sour cream.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
artichokes, dip, recipe

Fresh artichoke dip I made this over the weekend and liked it much better than canned version. It has BIG artichoke flavor versus the canned popular recipe. I also lightened it up by using less mayo and sour cream. 4 med. artichokes with cut tops, outer leaves removed,stalks peeled and insides scooped. 1 onion large dice 1/2 cup dry white wine 1 clove garlic chopped 1/4 pickled jalapeno rings 1 cup finely grated parmesan (fresh) 1/3 cup mayo 1/3 cup sour cream squirt of sri hacha oven to 350 Place artichokes,onions,garlic in a med hot skillet with olive oil for sauteing.Let cook for a minute or two then add the wine and cover.Reduce heat to a simmer cook until tender.(1/2 hour+-) Let cool to handle then pull off any leaves that would be too tough to eat whole.Place the remainder of the chokes and the onions in a FP along with the jalepenos.With a spoon scrape the tougher leaves to remove the remaing meat on them.This scraping step is optional but will bring huge flavor. Pulse chokes,onions etc to a chunky consistancy.Combine mixture with the rest of the ingredients and taste to make any adjustments. Place in a buttered oven proof dish and Bake for about 30 minutes until slightly browned. Serve with whatever chips you like. I may try using some fresh jalepeno next time to kick up the heat a little since this is pretty mild. 3 stars 1 reviews