"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyard14 View Post
I have done this with sticks of feta cheese, and deep fried them, it worked really well the saltiness of the feta was awesome, I just used normal breadcrumbs. It sounds weird bt it was super good
i love feta cheese. how do you keep the cheese from crumbling?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #12
Senior Cook

just cut them into sticks, about 1/4 inch around, and bread them twice if your a litte shaky, if you cut them to big they will take long to melt the cheese so you will have to cook them long, just make them small and cook them fast

Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
just cut them into sticks, about 1/4 inch around, and bread them twice if your a litte shaky, if you cut them to big they will take long to melt the cheese so you will have to cook them long, just make them small and cook them fast
i'm gonna try that
Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #14
Senior Cook

let me know how you like them
Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
let me know how you like them
ok
Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

One real easy way to do it is to take egg roll wrapers and and roll a piece of string cheese up in it. Fold the ends up half way through rolling them.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenny View Post
One real easy way to do it is to take egg roll wrapers and and roll a piece of string cheese up in it. Fold the ends up half way through rolling them.
That's one of Guy Fieri's big tips. Personally, I didn't find the taste favorable. Good if you are in a hurry and don't want to wait for a couple hours to let the cheese set up again.

I made these last week:

3/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
4 eggs
1 package string cheese ~ mozzarella flavor (Borden worked much better than Frigo)
1 tablespoon salt
Touch of water
1/2 cup parmesan (the "saw dust" real Kraft stuff works great) because it blends into the breadcrumbs and doesn't get gooey like shreded stuff.

Mix bread crumbs, salt, and parm in a dredging bowl.

Wisk the eggs and a touch of water to make an egg wash.

Open and slice string cheese in half. Dip string cheese halves in egg wash, move to bread crumbs and coat. Move back to egg wash and repeat.

Place double coated cheese sticks on cutting board or cookies sheet and place in freezer. Allow to freeze at least two hours.

Remove from freezer and deep fry until sticks float and are golden brown. Serve with marinara or jarred spaghetti sauce. Wonderful snack.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I love Fried Mozzarella sticks, but I have the feeling that the crappier the product you use, the better the stuff sticks together....

I have never made them, tho. Just deep fried veggies like zucchini and eggplant, and of course, fish.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I love Fried Mozzarella sticks, but I have the feeling that the crappier the product you use, the better the stuff sticks together....
Fried Moz sticks are bar food, kids finger food, they aren't a high end delicacy. I use string cheese because it's convenient, but certainly not "crappy" and some people actually like Kraft Parm Cheese in the green can. I couldn't imagine using anything else on my take out pizza. I used it in the sticks I did because it blended with the bread crumbs better. And Borden cheese has been around for over 150 years. IMO you don't last that long if you're crappy.

Tags
None