"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I think I know why.
Is the answer in the third sentence you quoted? :)

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I re-visit my childhood school cafeteria days now and then by cooking some rice until its starchy enough to use an ice cream scoop to put on the plate, then add the gravy smothered beef meatballs on top. A lettuce and pear salad topped with a dab mayo. Childhood cafeteria memories...yum. Sloppy Joe days too.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I'm not opposed to using frozen meatballs, when you want a quick dinner. Some grocery stores also sell fresh ones in the meat department.

Being a single guy, there is no way I'm buying 100 meatballs, so I have never tried the ones from COSTCO. If they are Kirkland branded, there is a better than average chance they are at least decent.

CD
Old 02-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I guess you guys are as closed minded as I was before those meatballs last Christmas.
So, not agreeing with somebody is closed minded? Well color me closed minded. I'll take my chances with home made..
Costco Meat ball ingredients: Ground Beef, Water, Bread crumbs (enriched bleached wheat flour (bleaced wheat flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Durum Flour, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil Shortening (Soybean), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium, Phosphate), Dextrose, Yeast, Spice Extractive), Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Dextrose, Mustard, Spices, Dehydrated Green Bell Pepper, Dehydrated Red bell Pepper, Parmesan CHeese (Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Romano CHeese from Cow's Milk (Cultured Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Slat, Enzymes), Dehydrated Garlic, Hydrolyzed soy protein, natural Flavors, Dehydrated parsley. Contains: Milk, Soy, Wheat.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Costco Meat ball ingredients: Ground Beef, Water, Bread crumbs (enriched bleached wheat flour (bleaced wheat flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Durum Flour, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil Shortening (Soybean), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium, Phosphate), Dextrose, Yeast, Spice Extractive), Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Dextrose, Mustard, Spices, Dehydrated Green Bell Pepper, Dehydrated Red bell Pepper, Parmesan CHeese (Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Romano CHeese from Cow's Milk (Cultured Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Slat, Enzymes), Dehydrated Garlic, Hydrolyzed soy protein, natural Flavors, Dehydrated parsley. Contains: Milk, Soy, Wheat.
So what does this list of ingredients mean to the average consumer out there?
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
So what does this list of ingredients mean to the average consumer out there?
It should mean make your own from fresh ingredients..
Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
Executive Chef

There's no way I'm able to cook meatballs. You have to add pork to the beef. Too advanced for me. I buy frozen meatballs, but I'm sure to check the ingredients to see that it includes pork, not just beef.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
There's no way I'm able to cook meatballs. You have to add pork to the beef. Too advanced for me. I buy frozen meatballs, but I'm sure to check the ingredients to see that it includes pork, not just beef.
Mixing ground pork and ground beef is about as easy as easy gets. You just flake equal parts of the two meats apart from their packages into one bowl, and get your fingers in and mix the meat up. No tools needed but the ones at the ends of your arms. It takes me about a minute.

Then, add your other ingredients, and get your hands in there again -- another minute or two.

Once mixed, use something like an ice-cream or cookie-dough scoop to measure out the meat, and gently roll into balls.

CD
Old 02-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Once mixed, use something like an ice-cream or cookie-dough scoop to measure out the meat, and gently roll into balls.
I make them strictly by hand, as it's much faster. They're not all exactly the same size, but it doesn't matter. Pork isn't a requirement, either. I can form a 2 lb. (meat) batch in the time it takes to heat the oven, about 15 - 20 minutes, and I'm not that fast. That's about 50 meatballs.

Part of the reason I cook is that I can control what I eat. We eat convenience foods on rare occasions, and I can feel the difference afterwards (fat, salt, and who knows what else hangover).
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #20
Master Chef

use a melon baller for small balls..just scoop and use the edge of the bowl to pack it. Use a spoon or a finger to pop it out on the cookie sheet..done

Small ice cream scoops work well..

Tags
frozen, meat, meatballs