"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Head Chef

Gazpacho Seafood Martini - T&T

Instead of the same old shrimp cocktail, here is another idea for Holiday parties/entertaining.

1/2 lb cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 small can V8 juice
1/2 of an avocado
2 scallions, chopped
A few tbls minced fresh cilantro
1 small can sliced black olives
A few tbls lime juice
Sour cream
Tortilla chips

Combine ingredients except for the avocado, sour cream & tortilla chips. Chill in the fridge in a covered bowl. At serving time, peel & cube the avocado. Ladle the spacho mixture into martini glasses. Top each martini glass mixture with the cubed avocado & sour cream. Place tortilla chips (point side down) inside the rim of each glass & serve.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Master Chef

That sounds delicious. I make a similiar dish and add a splash of tequila to it.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That sounds delicious. I make a similiar dish and add a splash of tequila to it.

Great minds think alike, jennyema. I was thinking vodka, but tequila sounds waay better. Then I thought about dipping the rim of the glasses in salt, but maybe too salty. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

What no Vodka Miss Amy?? I saw Martini and jumped!

I do love the different "twist" on Shrimp Cocktail however. It looks like a yummy recipe!

Thanks for posting it.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

........... After looking back over the recipe, I can "see" tequila.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Great minds think alike, jennyema. I was thinking vodka, but tequila sounds waay better. Then I thought about dipping the rim of the glasses in salt, but maybe too salty. Thanks.

IMO tequila has a taste that stands up to the ingredients very well. It's sort of salty, in a way. I get rave reviews when I make this -- they all can taste the small spash of tequila but hardly anyojne can figure out what it is.

I got the idea originally from this recipe: Spicy Tequila-Spiked Cherry Tomatoes Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

I stuff cherry tomatoes from my garden with spicy tequila-spiked gazpacho in the summer.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
What no Vodka Miss Amy?? I saw Martini and jumped!

I do love the different "twist" on Shrimp Cocktail however. It looks like a yummy recipe!

Thanks for posting it.
Hope you'll give it a try, Uncle Bob. Thinking out loud re the Vodka, maybe a hit or two of Tabasco or worcestershire might make it jump a bit more. Crab, lobster or a combo of seafood, could be another twist on the same old shrimp cocktail/gazpacho.

I like the restaurant-style tortilla chips (as they seem to me less seasoned), and you can scoop up all the goodies - shrimp, sour cream, green pepper etc with the chips in the glass. Let me know how you like.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:

IMO tequila has a taste that stands up to the ingredients very well. It's sort of salty, in a way. I get rave reviews when I make this -- they all can taste the small spash of tequila but hardly anyojne can figure out what it is.

I got the idea originally from this recipe: Spicy Tequila-Spiked Cherry Tomatoes Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

I stuff cherry tomatoes from my garden with spicy tequila-spiked gazpacho in the summer.
Jennyema, thank you for posting the link. Sounds like a great appy for the Holidays - or any time.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

*amy* that sounds delicious and the variations you came up with sound equally good. I would be happy eating this for 3 meals a day
Old 12-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
*amy* that sounds delicious and the variations you came up with sound equally good. I would be happy eating this for 3 meals a day
Hope you likey.

Tags
None