"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 12-31-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Grape jelly meatball help

Hi all...

I am planning on trying to cook "Grape jelly meatballs" in the slow cooker for first time.

I have checked the web and found many recipes. Almost all the recipes ingredients include grape jelly and chili sauce. My concern is that I have a 5 and 4 year old children.

Will the sauce be too spicy? The recipes usually call for 3 parts chili sauce and 4 parts grape jelly.

Thanks for the help...

Old 12-31-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Indigo, a big welcome to DC!

My mom often made these (as did her friends and plenty of my friend's moms) when I was growing up, and my mom never used any chilli sauce at all. If you share the recipe that you'd like to use here, perhaps we can help you see if the amount of chilli suace is such that it can easily be left/reduced out with out running into any trouble.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Some use barbecue instead of the chili sauce - you could determine how spice you want by the kind you use. I never found the original too spicy, tho.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Head Chef

my mother makes these alot when we have a gathering. Equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce. She buy frozen meatballs and also puts in the cocktail weiners. Fills up a crockpot pours sauce over them and let them heat thru They always go quick.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

We make these all the time (with the chili sauce) and they are not hot at all. Actually they are usually the kids favorite thing to eat at parties. Try it yourself before you make them if you are unsure. Just take a little chili sauce and a little grape jelly and put it together in the microwave. Mix to combine and then taste. I am sure you will love it and will see there is no heat at all. It was actually be pretty sweet.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

I love those! I've made them (and wanted to make them tonight, only the h refuses to eat any meat with even a hint of sweetness). What chili sauce will you be using? My favorite is "Homade" brand. Heat isn't a worry, and the flavor is yummy.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Indigo (love your name), I'm not a big fan of chili or grape juice... For me, personally, the thought of putting the two together makes me queasy. You could probably 86 the grape stuff and chili and go with apricot preserves and/or teriyaki sauce.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the great replies. GB... great idea. I will put the grape jelly and chilli sauce together first and try the taste.

Chilli sauce and grape jelly just sounds so nasty. I really have to try it.

I was thinking of using Welch's grape jelly and not really sure about the chilli sauce. I will probably use Heinz... I think they make one.

I live in Hong Kong so my choices are limited when it comes to chilli sauce in a bottle.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Well, living in Hong Kong I can understand your worries about 'chili sauce', as probably what you have most available are the hot Chinese and Thai sauces - and you definitely don't want to use those!! The Heinz should be fine, tho. The sweetness of the grape jelly will tone down any heat at all in the chili sauce.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
Head Chef

When these are cooked you can't tell that it is grape jelly or chili sauce, they just blend well together. the very first time i tried them I had to ask my mother what she made the sauce with. I was surprised when she told me. Try you will like it.

Tags
None