Guacamole dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Roll Bones, a bush is just a small tree. Small avocado specimens look like bushes.

@ Mofet, a tablespoon works fine for me. Making guac is not a science.

That depends on who you're speaking to. A bush is defined as a shrub, or clump of shrubs, with short trunks. I have bushes in my yard that will never grow into trees, such as my lilac bushes. I have trees that will never resemble a bush, such as my sugar and red maples. They aren't the same thing.

Bush can also mean a section of land covered by brush and trees, as - "I'm going for a walk out in the bush." where bush is usually a shortened for of bush country.

I have never seen an immature avocado tree. It may well look like a bush.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

@ Roll Bones, a bush is just a small tree. Small avocado specimens look like bushes.

@ Mofet, a tablespoon works fine for me. Making guac is not a science.

Thanks Greg. But not all bushes are trees. This is why I asked.
If there is such thing as a avocado bush, I want to know.

Of course trees can be shaped into a bush shape, if you start when the tree is very young. But if left alone, will revert back to being a tree.
Example: Rose bush, not rose tree.

That depends on who you're speaking to. A bush is defined as a shrub, or clump of shrubs, with short trunks. I have bushes in my yard that will never grow into trees, such as my lilac bushes. I have trees that will never resemble a bush, such as my sugar and red maples. They aren't the same thing.

Bush can also mean a section of land covered by brush and trees, as - "I'm going for a walk out in the bush." where bush is usually a shortened for of bush country.

I have never seen an immature avocado tree. It may well look like a bush.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Dad had a Lilac tree...took him 6 years and had a trunk about 4 inches in diameter. Quite pretty, but took a lot of pruning work. The new owners of the house let it revert back to a bush, fairly disappointing. Dad said he wished he had dug it up and moved it with them.

My buddy next door had three or four lilac trees in his yard. Same thing, they were bushes he kept pruning and turned into trees. I've got the bushes, which are wild and gnarly and probably fifteen feet high.
I wonder how many plants you can do that to though. Probably not many that can grown either way.

Dad says anything that grows up can be trained into a tree. He is working on a rose tree, been at it for the last two years. He just picks the straightest limb and prunes back all the rest, trims off the lower twigs sticking out, the rose bush was about two foot high when he started working it.

I suppose it's all in whether or not you can get the trunk thick enough to support the height to warrant being called a tree.

I suppose it's all in whether or not you can get the trunk thick enough to support the height to warrant being called a tree.

If you prune around and lop off anything that comes up around it, it will thicken the "trunk". Dad called the new shoots "suckers" because they suck nutrition from the main trunk you are trying to grow.

You should see the Lilac Hedge, that is 18 foot across, Dad has now...

I've had several avocado trees start from fallen fruit. None ever resembled any type of bush. All have had straight center stalks, with small, leaf bearing branches.

It surprised me how quickly my neighbors apple trees produced. The things are no more than spindly looking saplings a few years old. They might be 3-4 ft tall. He has to go out in the spring and pinch off blossoms so it doesn't produce so many that they topple the tree over. The ones he leaves grow full sized normal apples. He's getting 20/tree.

It took about 7 years until our avocado started producing. Seems I recall the lime we had also took about the same. Just after the lime started producing, our wonderful governor at the time, influenced by the citrus growers lobby, decided that all citrus trees in mostly south Florida, private or commercial, needed to be destroyed. Their flawed logic was to prevent citrus canker from spreading to northern groves. They didn't even have to prove that your tree(s) were with in 1900' of an infected tree to cut them down. I was so happy when mother nature decided to bless them with citrus canker by sending us 4 hurricanes that year.:ROFLMAO: BTW, I don't purchase products produced by those growers.

Seven years. Interesting.
I wonder if "natural" fruit bearing trees take longer to produce and maybe there is a hybrid or engineered variety that produce more quickly... hmmm...

Dad says anything that grows up can be trained into a tree. He is working on a rose tree, been at it for the last two years. He just picks the straightest limb and prunes back all the rest, trims off the lower twigs sticking out, the rose bush was about two foot high when he started working it.

You can train a bush or plant to look like a tree. But it will never really be a tree. It will be a bush that looks like a tree.
Many bush type plants will not get very tall. Its not in their DNA.
A rose bush shaped to look like a tree, is a rose bush shaped to look like a tree. Not a real tree.

If you prune around and lop off anything that comes up around it, it will thicken the "trunk". Dad called the new shoots "suckers" because they suck nutrition from the main trunk you are trying to grow.

Suckers are nothing more than shoots trying to grow new branches. When you prune a tree, or you try to make a bush look like a tree, you remove these sprouts or suckers as some call them.
This gives the trunk a clean look.
This thread has reminded me its tree pruning time. Now is the time to prune. Before spring gets here.

Seven years. Interesting.
I wonder if "natural" fruit bearing trees take longer to produce and maybe there is a hybrid or engineered variety that produce more quickly... hmmm...

They say 7 years here also for peaches. I am not sure about apples.

Back
Top Bottom