Guacamole dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't have to have any citrus. You can mash them and a little salsa to make it real simple.

If you put the whole seeds back in quac it will keep it from turning brown.
Don't use the seeds the guac will turn dark. I cover mine with plastic wrap after giving it a lime or lemon bath but the P/W will keep it bright green.I tried the pit in the guac but it turned a lovely brownish black:mad:
kades:)

True, there is never leftover avocado. As a matter of fact we have to buy two, one for each. For some reason we cannot share.:pig:
You should be here when I make the avocado dip my dad loved. My youngest don and I elbow each other to see who get the serving knice to smear it on the baguette:yum: Talk about:pig: well we let oldest daughter get a little if she smashes the cado's for us. :ROFLMAO:ma

Don't use the seeds the guac will turn dark. I cover mine with plastic wrap after giving it a lime or lemon bath but the P/W will keep it bright green.I tried the pit in the guac but it turned a lovely brownish black:mad:
kades:)

I put the seeds in all the time and don't have that problem! Go figure.

Oxygen in the air makes avocado (and guac) turn brown. If the seed is any help at all it's because it's blocking the air from the guac under it. Citrus juice helps. Putting a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guac is all you need.

Andy M. said:
Oxygen in the air makes avocado (and guac) turn brown. If the seed is any help at all it's because it's blocking the air from the guac under it. Citrus juice helps. Putting a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guac is all you need.

+1

+1
cj

I've been trying to figure out the discussion about seeds. I presume it's referring to the seed in the middle of each avocado.

Once the avocado had been disassembled and mashed the seed has nothing to do with how long the guacamole will keep. I can't imagine any scientific reason to presume it would have any effect although I'll entertain a theory if somebody will make a statement based upon science that could support that idea.

If you cut an avocado in half and don't want to use the whole thing, leave the seed in place. It will seal the part of the half avocado it covers from oxidization better than any plastic wrap. (As already mentioned.)

An avocado either whole or cut in half will keep better on your counter than in your refrigerator. If it has been cut then press plastic wrap to cover the cut surface to keep oxygen out and prevent oxidization. It seems to me that some lime or lemon juice on the surface will probably help. I don't know why refrigerators destroy avocados but my personal experience is that cold ruins them. Better off to leave them on your counter. I'll be interested in a scientific reason why refrigerator chill ruins avocados.

It's pointless to speculate how to best keep guacamole. That has happened, what, two maybe three times since the dawn of history? ;) You don't need to keep it unless you made enough for an army and invited only 2-3 people. Barring a dreadful miscalculation like that, guacamole evaporates as long as there is sufficient supply of tortilla strips, chips, crackers, bread, etc.

You can grow an interesting plant from the seed taken out of an avocado. Stick three toothpicks equally spaced along the "equator" of the seed, sticking out perpendicularly. (Three has the same stability as a tripod--you can use 4 toothpicks if you wish.) Place the toothpicked avocado seed in a small dish such that the toothpicks balance the seed in the middle and supporting it via the toothpicks on the rim. I believe the stem end should face down because I recall that's where the roots want to grow from. (Let me know if I have this wrong. Maybe it doesn't even matter.) Add water to cover the bottom part of the seed, and keep adding water every day to replace any that has evaporated. Place it near a window, in my case usually in the kitchen. Given a few or several weeks it will grow into an interesting vine. You can mix some plant fertilizer in the water you add to keep it growing. It always amazes me that so much vine can keep growing from a relatively small seed with not much nourishment, if any. You can probably transplant it outside if your climate suits and it will probably grow into a bush or tree.

Well I've been snacking on guacamole as I type this and I see I'm almost out of guacamole, so I've probably typed enough too.

Years ago I grew an avocado tree from a pit, in potting soil, almost had to cut a hole in the ceiling, it got so tall.

Last edited:
Thanks to those that have posted alternative recipes to that which I already know, I will try them. Funny that people got caught up in the discussion about the seed. I always used to think that guacamole was from the spanish. Turns out it was actually invented by the indians and they couldn't make it in Spain, (the trees didn't flourish) so it became a New World Dish. It's great stuff no matter where it comes from. Best guacamole I've had thus far is from a place called Dos Caminos here in town. They definitely take their guacamole seriously. And it shows in the taste. Thanks again.

Oxygen in the air makes avocado (and guac) turn brown. If the seed is any help at all it's because it's blocking the air from the guac under it. Citrus juice helps.
Exactly. It's the vitamin C in citrus that does this. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that will help prevent fruit from turning brown. And as an added bonus, it gives a nutritional boost.

One tip I have found is to stir about 1/2 tsp of "Fruit Fresh" (mostly ascorbic acid - aka vitamin C) into the mashed avocado. It has no flavor by itself and, by adding just a small amount, guacamole will stay vibrantly green for about three days in the fridge.

I've also used this product with artichokes. I add a teaspoon of Fruit Fresh and a squeeze of lemon juice to water and put it in a spray bottle. Just spritz the artichokes as you cut them and they will stay nice looking.

Last edited:
Great thread. Love all the ideas. But I do have one question for those who sprouted an avocado seed.

Did you get a tree and have you ever actually grown an avocado to eat?

I grew up in Miami Fl and we had an avocado tree in the yard. Everyone had an avocado tree. As kids, we used them like kids would use snow balls up north. We threw them.

I had all the avocado I could ever eat and never appreciated them. Now I have to pay over $1.00 a piece for them.
Once and again we will get Florida avocados here in the store. Much more flesh for your money and to me little difference in taste.

Great thread. Love all the ideas. But I do have one question for those who sprouted an avocado seed.

I grew up in Miami Fl and we had an avocado tree in the yard. Everyone had an avocado tree. As kids, we used them like kids would use snow balls up north. We threw them.

I had all the avocado I could ever eat and never appreciated them. Now I have to pay over $1.00 a piece for them.
Once and again we will get Florida avocados here in the store. Much more flesh for your money and to me little difference in taste.

Yes, we got a tree and gave it to a friend who had an atrium. It was just starting to fruit when he had a house fire. This avocado tree was raised in Wyoming. Dad started another when they moved to Colorado, it did not survive the move to Wyoming. He doesn't have the room to grow another.

The last of the avocados have fallen off our tree. That is the ones not fallen off via "tree rodent".:mad: My plastic pellet gun is always at the ready.;)

You betcha RB. I grew up playing in avocado orchards here. Our backyard tree produced so many that I'd load up my red wagon and go door to door selling them for a dime a piece and that really ticked off my Dad who was selling them in his grocery store for a quarter. :ROFLMAO:

I just make it sortly before eating and then don't touch it until serving. If it just barely turns brown on top I stir it up when I serve and there you go, the brown is gone. It never lasts long enough to turn brown on more than just the very surface. :yum:

The last of the avocados have fallen off our tree. That is the ones not fallen off via "tree rodent".:mad: My plastic pellet gun is always at the ready.;)

What is your opinion of the Florida avocado vs the Hass?
Everyone says the Hass is superior. I can tell little difference. But I have never tried them side by side to really see.
I like the Florida as they are much larger and provide twice as much meat. But we rarely see them. If we do, its for a couple weeks and then they are all gone.

You betcha RB. I grew up playing in avocado orchards here. Our backyard tree produced so many that I'd load up my red wagon and go door to door selling them for a dime a piece and that really ticked off my Dad who was selling them in his grocery store for a quarter. :ROFLMAO:

I miss those days, but we cannot relive them as much as I want to.
We had oranges, limes, sour orange, grapefruit and so many other fruits. I saw some star fruit in the store a couple days ago and it was very expensive. We treated them as novelties growing up and rarely ate them. My ex MIL had a ruby red grapefruit tree in her yard.
People said they were the best they ever had. I don't like grapefruit.
The Cuban people used the sour oranges for pork marinade. They still do. Mojito is the marinade and is used for many other purposes.
The clueless Americans would almost pay for someone to come and take the sour oranges as they thought there was something wrong with the trees......LOL My father and many others would glady obligde them and make gallons of pure sour orange juice.

My dad also had two key lime trees in Miami and one behind the old house in Key West. Never really knew how much key limes meant to people until I try to buy them now.

One bit of advice from personal experience: Make sure that avocado tree gets plenty of water. I used to have an avocado tree, one day we had high winds and it blew over. The roots were all on the surface. I hacked it up and discarded it, but next season it re-sprouted and grew a new tree. Having not yet learned my lesson life went on as usual and yep, eventually that tree got big enough to blow over. No more tree.

The reason for this is that trees grow roots down if there is adequate water, but they grow roots out, near the surface, if there is no deep water. A shallow root structure is far weaker than a deep root structure. Lesson learned.

Thanks for reminding me. I just moved last summer and my back yard has little but lawn. I've been deciding how to landscape and what to plant, and an avocado tree has got to be on the list! (And a lime bush/tree.)

By the way, there's only one way to screw up guacamole: buy it pre-made. :) As long as you use good ingredients all you get is variations on a theme, some better than others. When I make guac I just look around for things that look like guac ingredients and put them in. Of course you need avocados!

And I advise do not use garlic salt, use garlic powder and salt separately, or fresh garlic and salt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom