"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 05-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
You don't have to have any citrus. You can mash them and a little salsa to make it real simple.

If you put the whole seeds back in quac it will keep it from turning brown.
Don't use the seeds the guac will turn dark. I cover mine with plastic wrap after giving it a lime or lemon bath but the P/W will keep it bright green.I tried the pit in the guac but it turned a lovely brownish black
kades

Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
True, there is never leftover avocado. As a matter of fact we have to buy two, one for each. For some reason we cannot share.
You should be here when I make the avocado dip my dad loved. My youngest don and I elbow each other to see who get the serving knice to smear it on the baguette Talk about well we let oldest daughter get a little if she smashes the cado's for us. ma

Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Don't use the seeds the guac will turn dark. I cover mine with plastic wrap after giving it a lime or lemon bath but the P/W will keep it bright green.I tried the pit in the guac but it turned a lovely brownish black
kades
I put the seeds in all the time and don't have that problem! Go figure.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Oxygen in the air makes avocado (and guac) turn brown. If the seed is any help at all it's because it's blocking the air from the guac under it. Citrus juice helps. Putting a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guac is all you need.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Oxygen in the air makes avocado (and guac) turn brown. If the seed is any help at all it's because it's blocking the air from the guac under it. Citrus juice helps. Putting a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guac is all you need.
+1
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
+1
cj
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I've been trying to figure out the discussion about seeds. I presume it's referring to the seed in the middle of each avocado.

Once the avocado had been disassembled and mashed the seed has nothing to do with how long the guacamole will keep. I can't imagine any scientific reason to presume it would have any effect although I'll entertain a theory if somebody will make a statement based upon science that could support that idea.

If you cut an avocado in half and don't want to use the whole thing, leave the seed in place. It will seal the part of the half avocado it covers from oxidization better than any plastic wrap. (As already mentioned.)

An avocado either whole or cut in half will keep better on your counter than in your refrigerator. If it has been cut then press plastic wrap to cover the cut surface to keep oxygen out and prevent oxidization. It seems to me that some lime or lemon juice on the surface will probably help. I don't know why refrigerators destroy avocados but my personal experience is that cold ruins them. Better off to leave them on your counter. I'll be interested in a scientific reason why refrigerator chill ruins avocados.

It's pointless to speculate how to best keep guacamole. That has happened, what, two maybe three times since the dawn of history? You don't need to keep it unless you made enough for an army and invited only 2-3 people. Barring a dreadful miscalculation like that, guacamole evaporates as long as there is sufficient supply of tortilla strips, chips, crackers, bread, etc.

You can grow an interesting plant from the seed taken out of an avocado. Stick three toothpicks equally spaced along the "equator" of the seed, sticking out perpendicularly. (Three has the same stability as a tripod--you can use 4 toothpicks if you wish.) Place the toothpicked avocado seed in a small dish such that the toothpicks balance the seed in the middle and supporting it via the toothpicks on the rim. I believe the stem end should face down because I recall that's where the roots want to grow from. (Let me know if I have this wrong. Maybe it doesn't even matter.) Add water to cover the bottom part of the seed, and keep adding water every day to replace any that has evaporated. Place it near a window, in my case usually in the kitchen. Given a few or several weeks it will grow into an interesting vine. You can mix some plant fertilizer in the water you add to keep it growing. It always amazes me that so much vine can keep growing from a relatively small seed with not much nourishment, if any. You can probably transplant it outside if your climate suits and it will probably grow into a bush or tree.

Well I've been snacking on guacamole as I type this and I see I'm almost out of guacamole, so I've probably typed enough too.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Years ago I grew an avocado tree from a pit, in potting soil, almost had to cut a hole in the ceiling, it got so tall.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The pointy end goes down on an avocado pit. I've never grown a "vine" only trees.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Thanks to those that have posted alternative recipes to that which I already know, I will try them. Funny that people got caught up in the discussion about the seed. I always used to think that guacamole was from the spanish. Turns out it was actually invented by the indians and they couldn't make it in Spain, (the trees didn't flourish) so it became a New World Dish. It's great stuff no matter where it comes from. Best guacamole I've had thus far is from a place called Dos Caminos here in town. They definitely take their guacamole seriously. And it shows in the taste. Thanks again.

Tags
None