"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #31
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Oxygen in the air makes avocado (and guac) turn brown. If the seed is any help at all it's because it's blocking the air from the guac under it. Citrus juice helps.
Exactly. It's the vitamin C in citrus that does this. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that will help prevent fruit from turning brown. And as an added bonus, it gives a nutritional boost.

One tip I have found is to stir about 1/2 tsp of "Fruit Fresh" (mostly ascorbic acid - aka vitamin C) into the mashed avocado. It has no flavor by itself and, by adding just a small amount, guacamole will stay vibrantly green for about three days in the fridge.

I've also used this product with artichokes. I add a teaspoon of Fruit Fresh and a squeeze of lemon juice to water and put it in a spray bottle. Just spritz the artichokes as you cut them and they will stay nice looking.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Great thread. Love all the ideas. But I do have one question for those who sprouted an avocado seed.

Did you get a tree and have you ever actually grown an avocado to eat?

I grew up in Miami Fl and we had an avocado tree in the yard. Everyone had an avocado tree. As kids, we used them like kids would use snow balls up north. We threw them.

I had all the avocado I could ever eat and never appreciated them. Now I have to pay over $1.00 a piece for them.
Once and again we will get Florida avocados here in the store. Much more flesh for your money and to me little difference in taste.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Great thread. Love all the ideas. But I do have one question for those who sprouted an avocado seed.

I grew up in Miami Fl and we had an avocado tree in the yard. Everyone had an avocado tree. As kids, we used them like kids would use snow balls up north. We threw them.

I had all the avocado I could ever eat and never appreciated them. Now I have to pay over $1.00 a piece for them.
Once and again we will get Florida avocados here in the store. Much more flesh for your money and to me little difference in taste.
Yes, we got a tree and gave it to a friend who had an atrium. It was just starting to fruit when he had a house fire. This avocado tree was raised in Wyoming. Dad started another when they moved to Colorado, it did not survive the move to Wyoming. He doesn't have the room to grow another.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #34
Executive Chef

The last of the avocados have fallen off our tree. That is the ones not fallen off via "tree rodent". My plastic pellet gun is always at the ready.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:

You betcha RB. I grew up playing in avocado orchards here. Our backyard tree produced so many that I'd load up my red wagon and go door to door selling them for a dime a piece and that really ticked off my Dad who was selling them in his grocery store for a quarter.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Oxygen in the air makes avocado (and guac) turn brown. If the seed is any help at all it's because it's blocking the air from the guac under it. Citrus juice helps. Putting a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guac is all you need.

I just make it sortly before eating and then don't touch it until serving. If it just barely turns brown on top I stir it up when I serve and there you go, the brown is gone. It never lasts long enough to turn brown on more than just the very surface.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The last of the avocados have fallen off our tree. That is the ones not fallen off via "tree rodent". My plastic pellet gun is always at the ready.
What is your opinion of the Florida avocado vs the Hass?
Everyone says the Hass is superior. I can tell little difference. But I have never tried them side by side to really see.
I like the Florida as they are much larger and provide twice as much meat. But we rarely see them. If we do, its for a couple weeks and then they are all gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You betcha RB. I grew up playing in avocado orchards here. Our backyard tree produced so many that I'd load up my red wagon and go door to door selling them for a dime a piece and that really ticked off my Dad who was selling them in his grocery store for a quarter.
I miss those days, but we cannot relive them as much as I want to.
We had oranges, limes, sour orange, grapefruit and so many other fruits. I saw some star fruit in the store a couple days ago and it was very expensive. We treated them as novelties growing up and rarely ate them. My ex MIL had a ruby red grapefruit tree in her yard.
People said they were the best they ever had. I don't like grapefruit.
The Cuban people used the sour oranges for pork marinade. They still do. Mojito is the marinade and is used for many other purposes.
The clueless Americans would almost pay for someone to come and take the sour oranges as they thought there was something wrong with the trees......LOL My father and many others would glady obligde them and make gallons of pure sour orange juice.

My dad also had two key lime trees in Miami and one behind the old house in Key West. Never really knew how much key limes meant to people until I try to buy them now.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:

One bit of advice from personal experience: Make sure that avocado tree gets plenty of water. I used to have an avocado tree, one day we had high winds and it blew over. The roots were all on the surface. I hacked it up and discarded it, but next season it re-sprouted and grew a new tree. Having not yet learned my lesson life went on as usual and yep, eventually that tree got big enough to blow over. No more tree.

The reason for this is that trees grow roots down if there is adequate water, but they grow roots out, near the surface, if there is no deep water. A shallow root structure is far weaker than a deep root structure. Lesson learned.

Thanks for reminding me. I just moved last summer and my back yard has little but lawn. I've been deciding how to landscape and what to plant, and an avocado tree has got to be on the list! (And a lime bush/tree.)

By the way, there's only one way to screw up guacamole: buy it pre-made. As long as you use good ingredients all you get is variations on a theme, some better than others. When I make guac I just look around for things that look like guac ingredients and put them in. Of course you need avocados!

And I advise do not use garlic salt, use garlic powder and salt separately, or fresh garlic and salt.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A Meyer Lemon Tree...
Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The kind of citrus trees that give fruit year 'round in your climate.

Tags
None