"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
By the way, there's only one way to screw up guacamole: buy it pre-made. As long as you use good ingredients all you get is variations on a theme, some better than others. When I make guac I just look around for things that look like guac ingredients and put them in. Of course you need avocados!

And I advise do not use garlic salt, use garlic powder and salt separately, or fresh garlic and salt.
Yesssss! My guacamole never has the same stuff in it twice in a row either. The freshest of fresh ingredients and whatever you have on hand make it perfect, imo.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #42
Sous Chef

Go with the grapefruit juice. It'll be fine

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

I ran into this recipe watching a TV show this morning. Billy Gibbons was singing with Darryl Hall. I seem to remember him using cilantro on the show...

Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Yum!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #45
Executive Chef

No comments on the Florida avocado vs the Hass?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post

Thanks for reminding me. I just moved last summer and my back yard has little but lawn. I've been deciding how to landscape and what to plant, and an avocado tree has got to be on the list! (And a lime bush/tree.)
I've been told that an avocado seed tree will never produce good fruit unless it is grafted, so buy one from a nursery.
Be sure not to plant that huge Hass tree in the corner of your lot unless you don't mind the neighbors sharing. I certainly would also plant a Meyer Lemon. They are unsurpassed in the lemon world, and the trees are small. I love mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
No comments on the Florida avocado vs the Hass?
I've never had a Florida avocado living in the middle of "Hassland". On second thought, maybe I have. You mean those thin skin long kind? I don't think they have the flavor of Hass.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Kayelle, thanks for the advice! Actually I never would have thought of growing an avocado tree from a seed. Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too much time! I'll buy a modest sized bush and probably get avocados the first season. If I planted it near the wall it would be on my west side where I'm friends with the family. The people on the east are nice too, but reclusive. And the people behind me... They're about 75 feet away across no-man's land (HOA commons). My new home is just wonderful! Nice people on each side and nobody behind me in all practicality.

The one problem I would have would be squirrels. Might be a good to plant it outside of jumping distance from the walls. I'm an electronic engineer. Need I say more? <evil grin>

And like you I live in Hassland -- in my case Los Angeles County -- and just over the hill in Ventura county there zillions of avocados, just zillions!

It wouldn't make any marketing sense to sell anything but Haas in So. Cal.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
The one problem I would have would be squirrels. Might be a good to plant it outside of jumping distance from the walls. I'm an electronic engineer. Need I say more? <evil grin>

And like you I live in Hassland -- in my case Los Angeles County -- and just over the hill in Ventura county there zillions of avocados, just zillions!
Yep we are surrounded by zillions over here. If you have the room, I wouldn't plant it close to the walls at all. They are a big job in the yard though with all the spent leaves. Be sure to pick up the over ripe ones on the ground or be prepared to live with a fat dog. They adore avocado's. My friend owns an avocado ranch and her dogs can hardly walk.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm thinking that since someone just brought me these items from Mexico, that I just might give this green colored dip a try What great timing.
So what is the "dip holder" of choice for guacamole dip? Chips, veggies, wings ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	present.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	20794  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We just use Tostitos. In Mexico it's served with tortilla chips, and used as a side for almost anything. Good on a burger too.

Tags
None