"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #81
Master Chef

Phew!!

Yes, I think it's best with salty corn chips but it will be good however one chooses to enjoy it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #82
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I am not sure how long it takes for a Hass tree to mature, but I can guarantee a Florida avocado would take many years before it would be able to produce and hold edible fruit.
Florida avocado trees can be 30-40 foot tall and as wide as a house.

Are the Hass trees like this? You did say bush?
Haas trees in nearby Ventura County avocado groves average about (in my observation) about 20 feet height. In my old residence about 12 miles south (from here, Valencia, about the same distance east of the Ventura County avocado groves) some of my neighbors had avocado trees/bushes about 8-12 feet tall. The squirrels loved them!!!

I see no reason why I can't buy a 3-5 year old avocado "bush" and get fruit the first season. They get bigger you get more avocados (and more squirrels) but even 6-8 foot bushes produce plenty of avocados.

Remember our So.Cal. climate. There are many varieties of plants that produce here all year round instead of seasonal like in colder climates. For example, chili bushes produce chilis year round for me. Of course things like figs, plumbs and apricots come only when the season is right.

I've never had an avocado tree/bush. I suspect it will be seasonal like the other fruits.

It's nice to have chilis year round. Too bad my new chili plants are too small to produce out of season.

Here in So.Cal. we have a very wide tomato season, although they do quit producing mid-winter.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #83
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Could you train the avocado tree to grow horizontally, making it easier to reach all the avocados???
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Nix on the mix for me. We have avocados year round although during the winter they come in on wings (and cost more).

I agree that lime is preferable to lemon.

I'll try freezing it some time just as an experiment. Why you'd freeze it I don't know. Around here fresh guac lasts as long as there is any left in the bowl.

I just had some tonight, with crackers. My usual recipe: everything that looks okay except the kitchen sink.

Here's a question for the group: fresh minced garlic or garlic powder?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I usually don't use any garlic product in mine. Sometimes I use Pace picante, other times just a bit of lime juice, chopped onion, and a few squirts of hot sauce.

According to my BIL, Costco guac freezes well, not sure that my home made stuff would fare as well.

PF, I don't think avocado trees are trainable. The ones I've grown from pits are lanky and brittle, and the pics I've seen of the trees don't look vine-like.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #86
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Garlic Powder over Minced Garlic. The powder is not as harsh and has a sweeter taste.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #87
Master Chef

Always garlic powder for Guac. I use Meyer lemon juice instead of limes...why buy a lime when I have a Meyer tree?

Yes Greg, if you buy at least a 20 gallon Hass tree you'll have mature fruit by next year in your yard. I wouldn't call them a "bush" at that size. I hope you invite us all to the the planting by way of pictures!

ps..we are still picking ripe tomatoes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #88
Executive Chef

Things I like guacamole on:

Steak
Blt
Hamburger
Chips, especially corn chips
Spoon
Tortillas, especially corn tortillas
Tacos
Burritos
Rolled tacos
Nachos
Fajitas
Sausage and cream cheese stuffed jalepenos that were cooked on a grill
Chicken
Corriander and garlic seasoned pork chops
Celery, carrot, and cucumber sticks (avocados are technically a fruit so I think guac is fine as a dip for veggies)
Sandwiches and subs (pastrami on rye with guacamole is really good and I don't care how much of an abomination it might seem to be)
Grilled shrimp kabobs
Some types of fish but it's kind of hit and miss for me and the fish has to be fire grilled. But then, fish in generally is rather hit and miss for me so, ya know
Leftover shredded beef made into sandwiches
Crackers
Chunks of bread
"Mexican" omelette (and some other omelettes too)
Grilled mushroom caps

I'm sure there is other stuff too.

I have a few varieties that I make but the most common is to scoop the avocado into a bowl, add a splash of lime, a squirt/drop/splash of some hot sauce, about 6 grape tomatoes that I've cut in half width wise, and then I mash it all together with a wire potato masher.

I've also made it in the blender and added just a teaspoon (eating not measuring) of sour cream, lime, avocado, corriander, hot sauce, and a little black pepper. I blend it until it is super smooth and almost fluffy. I use this one exclusively as a spread for sandwhiches and subs. I prefer something chunkier for pretty much everything else, but this makes a good sandwich spread.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #89
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Always garlic powder for Guac. I use Meyer lemon juice instead of limes...why buy a lime when I have a Meyer tree?

Yes Greg, if you buy at least a 20 gallon Hass tree you'll have mature fruit by next year in your yard. I wouldn't call them a "bush" at that size. I hope you invite us all to the the planting by way of pictures!

ps..we are still picking ripe tomatoes.
You have your own Meyer tree? Colour me very jealous I love Meyers.

I use granulated garlic in my guac.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Kayelle, you're a showoff! Here are the last of my tomatoes, picked green in October, though some look more like raisins now:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1392876414.325091.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	20815

Tags
None