Guacamole dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, there's only one way to screw up guacamole: buy it pre-made. :) As long as you use good ingredients all you get is variations on a theme, some better than others. When I make guac I just look around for things that look like guac ingredients and put them in. Of course you need avocados!

And I advise do not use garlic salt, use garlic powder and salt separately, or fresh garlic and salt.

Yesssss! My guacamole never has the same stuff in it twice in a row either. The freshest of fresh ingredients and whatever you have on hand make it perfect, imo.

Thanks for reminding me. I just moved last summer and my back yard has little but lawn. I've been deciding how to landscape and what to plant, and an avocado tree has got to be on the list! (And a lime bush/tree.)

I've been told that an avocado seed tree will never produce good fruit unless it is grafted, so buy one from a nursery.
Be sure not to plant that huge Hass tree in the corner of your lot unless you don't mind the neighbors sharing. I certainly would also plant a Meyer Lemon. They are unsurpassed in the lemon world, and the trees are small. I love mine!

No comments on the Florida avocado vs the Hass?

I've never had a Florida avocado living in the middle of "Hassland".;) On second thought, maybe I have. You mean those thin skin long kind? I don't think they have the flavor of Hass.

Last edited:
Kayelle, thanks for the advice! Actually I never would have thought of growing an avocado tree from a seed. Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too much time! I'll buy a modest sized bush and probably get avocados the first season. If I planted it near the wall it would be on my west side where I'm friends with the family. The people on the east are nice too, but reclusive. And the people behind me... They're about 75 feet away across no-man's land (HOA commons). My new home is just wonderful! Nice people on each side and nobody behind me in all practicality.

The one problem I would have would be squirrels. Might be a good to plant it outside of jumping distance from the walls. I'm an electronic engineer. Need I say more? <evil grin>

And like you I live in Hassland -- in my case Los Angeles County -- and just over the hill in Ventura county there zillions of avocados, just zillions!

It wouldn't make any marketing sense to sell anything but Haas in So. Cal.

Last edited:
The one problem I would have would be squirrels. Might be a good to plant it outside of jumping distance from the walls. I'm an electronic engineer. Need I say more? <evil grin>

And like you I live in Hassland -- in my case Los Angeles County -- and just over the hill in Ventura county there zillions of avocados, just zillions!
Yep we are surrounded by zillions over here. If you have the room, I wouldn't plant it close to the walls at all. They are a big job in the yard though with all the spent leaves. Be sure to pick up the over ripe ones on the ground or be prepared to live with a fat dog. They adore avocado's. My friend owns an avocado ranch and her dogs can hardly walk. :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm thinking that since someone just brought me these items from Mexico, that I just might give this green colored dip a try :chef: What great timing.
So what is the "dip holder" of choice for guacamole dip? Chips, veggies, wings :rolleyes:?

Attachments

• present.jpg
    present.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 193
We just use Tostitos. In Mexico it's served with tortilla chips, and used as a side for almost anything. Good on a burger too.

I'm thinking that since someone just brought me these items from Mexico, that I just might give this green colored dip a try :chef: What great timing.
So what is the "dip holder" of choice for guacamole dip? Chips, veggies, wings :rolleyes:?

Tortilla-chips, Tacos (made with fresh corn tortillas), Burritos (preferably filled with carne asada and guacamole, and my finger tips as I'm snitchin' from the bowl when nobody's watching:angel:, or a spoon, to test-taste of course.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like Dorito's the best. That's one beautiful perfect bowl pac!

Thanks, Kay. Really colorful. I like it a lot.

It's looking like guac is better with a crunchy chip rather than a celery or carrot accompaniment.
I just may make some this weekend.

I agree - salty, crunchy chips with creamy, slightly chunky guac is best, although I also like it in fajitas. I like to put salsa, guac *and* cheese on fajitas :yum:

And yes, it's a gorgeous bowl. I love Mexican art.

Last edited:
I agree - salty, crunchy chips with creamy, slightly chunky guac is best, although I also like it in fajitas. I like to put salsa, guac *and* cheese on fajitas :yum:

And yes, it's a gorgeous bowl. I love Mexican art.

Friends in Mexico have their sinks made like this. Beautiful.

Salty crunchy. Gotcha!
If it turns out I don't like guacamole dip, at least I'll have one picture of it in the bowl, lol.

I've been told that an avocado seed tree will never produce good fruit unless it is grafted, so buy one from a nursery.

I've never had a Florida avocado living in the middle of "Hassland".;) On second thought, maybe I have. You mean those thin skin long kind? I don't think they have the flavor of Hass.

I have been told the same thing regarding grafting. I guess it would be like trying to grow an orange tree from and orange seed. Not likely going to be successful.

The Florida avocado is the exact same shape, just twice as big and more green in color. They do also get dark in color as they ripen. They are a bit longer like you say though. They are a bit slender at the short end. You very well may have had one before. Sounds like you have.

I'll buy a modest sized bush and probably get avocados the first season.

The one problem I would have would be squirrels. Might be a good to plant it outside of jumping distance from the walls. I'm an electronic engineer. Need I say more?

I am not sure how long it takes for a Hass tree to mature, but I can guarantee a Florida avocado would take many years before it would be able to produce and hold edible fruit.
Florida avocado trees can be 30-40 foot tall and as wide as a house.

Are the Hass trees like this? You did say bush?

Last edited:
Like GG, I like my guac with some texture, not mashed too much. Make sure your avocado's aren't past their prime and overly ripe, as it can be a matter of only a day.
I like mine with garlic powder, lemon juice, seasoned salt and Sriracha hot sauce.

Back
Top Bottom