Guacamole dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like GG, I like my guac with some texture, not mashed too much. Make sure your avocado's aren't past their prime and overly ripe, as it can be a matter of only a day.

+1. I'll bet some of that habanero hot sauce in your gift pack would make for nice guac, Pac. Maybe make up 3 small batches so you can try each one. I use lime juice in my guac. And it's also nice just cutting an avocado in half and sprinkling with a bit of hot sauce, maybe a squirt of lime juice, and eat with a spoon right out of the shell.

I'll be honest - I'm lazy when it comes to making guacamole, and I like for it to be consistent each time I make it. So I use this guacamole mix, and add a Roma tomato cut into small dice:

Guacamole_Mild.jpg

Thanks for the tips.
I'm going to make it like the vid I posted. Since he doesn't have the actual recipe posted because he markets the dip, I'll just wing the amounts from watching the vid. Obviously I need to downsize it anyway. Hopefully I'll like it and use it all up in one day so I don't need to worry about it turning brown.

Thanks for the tips.
I'm going to make it like the vid I posted. Since he doesn't have the actual recipe posted because he markets the dip, I'll just wing the amounts from watching the vid. Obviously I need to downsize it anyway. Hopefully I'll like it and use it all up in one day so I don't need to worry about it turning brown.

While the jury's out, apparently you can freeze guac. BIL does that all the time with the big batch of Costco guac. I haven't tried it yet.

While the jury's out, apparently you can freeze guac. BIL does that all the time with the big batch of Costco guac. I haven't tried it yet.

Just what I need, another container of mystery stuff in the freezer :LOL:

I use a dry erase marker to label plastic saver containers and a permanent Sharpie for plastic bags.

I'm thinking that since someone just brought me these items from Mexico, that I just might give this green colored dip a try :chef: What great timing.
So what is the "dip holder" of choice for guacamole dip? Chips, veggies, wings :rolleyes:?

chips or a spoon...

It goes well with a spoon? Maybe a spoon and a movie?

Of course, then you won't have to pause the movie when you run out of chips. The chips are just a conveyance device for the guacamole anyway, a bowl of salsa is a nice addition.

Here's a bunch of pictures RB...

They look smaller than the Florida avocado. Maybe it s because i was smaller when I lived in Florida. But I do remember climbing avocado trees.

I'll be honest - I'm lazy when it comes to making guacamole, and I like for it to be consistent each time I make it. So I use this guacamole mix, and add a Roma tomato cut into small dice:

Guacamole_Mild.jpg

I thought about this mix as soon as the topic was started.
I saw someone mix up a bowl at the local bar and I tried some. It was okay, but seemed rather salty and you could taste the mix more than the avocado. I doubt I would ever buy any after trying it out.
Its to easy to make homemade.

I thought about this mix as soon as the topic was started.
I saw someone mix up a bowl at the local bar and I tried some. It was okay, but seemed rather salty and you could taste the mix more than the avocado. I doubt I would ever buy any after trying it out.
Its to easy to make homemade.

Whatevah. I'm a salt fiend and I like it :mrgreen:

I agree - salty, crunchy chips with creamy, slightly chunky guac is best, although I also like it in fajitas. I like to put salsa, guac *and* cheese on fajitas :yum:

And yes, it's a gorgeous bowl. I love Mexican art.

You've pointed out a very IMPORTANT concept of guacamole. Don't puree it!

Believe me, I'm an honorary Mexican because I was born and grew up in So.Cal. I spend a lot of time in San Diego and I don't know why but it appears to me we have a more active Mexican community in Los Angeles even though further north.

Don't use a blender or food processor on guacamole. If you have dried spices, grind them with mortar and pestle. Then chop the tomatoes, garlic, onions, cilantro, whatever. Add your salt and whatever other spices, and then mash it all with a tablespoon but stop while it is still lumpy!

If you don't see small avocado chunks in your guacamole then you went too far!

Yep we are surrounded by zillions over here. If you have the room, I wouldn't plant it close to the walls at all. They are a big job in the yard though with all the spent leaves. Be sure to pick up the over ripe ones on the ground or be prepared to live with a fat dog. They adore avocado's. My friend owns an avocado ranch and her dogs can hardly walk. :LOL:

My dog will eat ground avocados over my cold, dead body! ;)

Thanks, Kay. Really colorful. I like it a lot.

It's looking like guac is better with a crunchy chip rather than a celery or carrot accompaniment.
I just may make some this weekend.

Guacamole is THE vegetable. Dipping it with more vegetables does not work.

Serve guacamole with some kind of (preferably) salty tortilla chips, or as an alternative, with crackers.

Note that there is a synergy going with the guacamole taste plus the taste of corn tortilla chips. The operant word here is corn, although I suppose flour tortilla chips, blue corn tortilla chips, or maize tortilla chips are reasonable choices too.

Native Americans in central and south America have been making guacamole and tortillas for thousands of years. They evolved together. There is a good reason why they go together and this is it.

(North American natives make tortillas and similar breads too but I have never known them to grow avocados or make guacamole.)

Back
Top Bottom