"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Cook

Yes, I render the fat in a pan with onions on low heat for a few minutes

Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
now you've really got me baffled!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Just a thought. When I make bacon onion tarts, I cook the bacon completely, and drain very well. Same with the onions, I caramelize them, and drain well on paper towels.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Cook

Maybe I am just overthinking it... i'll try again and drain the bacon.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
Just a thought. When I make bacon onion tarts, I cook the bacon completely, and drain very well. Same with the onions, I caramelize them, and drain well on paper towels.
me, also.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
I took a cooking class and made an amazing bacon and onion tart using pastry dough.

I have tried to replicate this at home... it's basically sauteed bacon and onion (thin strips) placed on pastry dough with a thin layer of creme fraische applied to act as a glue. It then goes into the oven at 425 for a little bit to puff up and get browned.

The problem is, at the class it was very light and crispy... at home, the entire center of the pastry gets saturated and floppy and greasy. What could be wrong?

My thoughts:

1. I'm using regular strips of breakfast bacon instead of slab bacon - is this more greasy? What is the advantage of cutting slab bacon into strips rather than using strips from the store?

2. I'm using the frozen puff pasty sheets rather than making my own pastry dough, do these not work well for this?
Hi Tzakiel,

It could be that your oven when it registers 425F is not at 425f - get an oven termometer and check the internal temperature of your oven.

Commercially made frozen puff pastry, thawed and used should work as well as home made. Try placing the dish on a baking sheet that has been placed in the oven whilst the oven is heating it up. This way, the centre of the dough will have a "boost" from the pre-heated baking sheet/tray.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc
Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #17
Cook

Look what I found on the Dufour web site:

"If product looks nicely browned and puffed when removed from oven and then collapses when cool, it has been under baked. Either raise temperature and/or bake longer."
Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
Look what I found on the Dufour web site:

"If product looks nicely browned and puffed when removed from oven and then collapses when cool, it has been under baked. Either raise temperature and/or bake longer."
...and verifying your oven's temperature with a thermometer will help ensure your pastry bakes at the correct temp for the right length of time.

I hope this solves your dilemma.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
Cook

Just tried again with the pepperidge farm again... the combination of extra baking time and giving the bacon a little bit more heat to make it crisper, really did help everything come out better - it was much crisper this time. I also picked up some Dufour puff pastry at whole foods which I will use next time I'm cooking for a special dinner... $10.50 for a small package... wow! But yes, I think I can consieder this case closed.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #20
Master Chef

This is not the same thing as I didn't use sheets of puff pastry. I made my own dough. Just in case you want to try something different. I think the below recipe is more like a quiche.

German Onion Pie Recipe : Recipezaar

Coming back to add, I think that recipe wouldn't be considered an appetizer. That just dawned on me. .... not unless you served it as a brunch item and cut in to thin wedges....

Tags
None