"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Cook

Help! Bacon Onion Tart w/puff pastry

I took a cooking class and made an amazing bacon and onion tart using pastry dough.

I have tried to replicate this at home... it's basically sauteed bacon and onion (thin strips) placed on pastry dough with a thin layer of creme fraische applied to act as a glue. It then goes into the oven at 425 for a little bit to puff up and get browned.

The problem is, at the class it was very light and crispy... at home, the entire center of the pastry gets saturated and floppy and greasy. What could be wrong?

My thoughts:

1. I'm using regular strips of breakfast bacon instead of slab bacon - is this more greasy? What is the advantage of cutting slab bacon into strips rather than using strips from the store?

2. I'm using the frozen puff pasty sheets rather than making my own pastry dough, do these not work well for this?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I'm not sure why this is happening to you. Regular bacon should work the same as sliced slab bacon.

Did you make the puff pastry in the class? If so, did you use all butter in the recipe? The most widely distributed brand of frozen puff pastry no longer uses butter in its recipe. If you are using that brand, perhaps that is causing your problem. Dufour Puff Pastry is sold on lline and also at Whole Foods stores. That is all butter pastry.

The other problem might be that your oven is not at the temperature it says it is. Are you using an oven thermometer to check?

Hope you figure it out. I love this kind of tart. I actually make something similar fairly regularly, but I beat a couple of eggs with the creme fraiche and use a pie shell.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Cook

I'm using pepperidge farm puff pasty. We didn't "make" the pastry in the class but the instructor did and I'm sure she used whatever is the best.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
I'm using pepperidge farm puff pasty. We didn't "make" the pastry in the class but the instructor did and I'm sure she used whatever is the best.
that would be the puff pastry that is no longer made with butter.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Cook

I will try the du four next or make my own and see the difference. I will also use a bit less creme and a pat the bacon down to remove a little grease next time.

I still have a sheet of pepperidge farm left, what's it good for (if anything) if it doesn't have butter?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
I will try the du four next or make my own and see the difference. I will also use a bit less creme and a pat the bacon down to remove a little grease next time.

I still have a sheet of pepperidge farm left, what's it good for (if anything) if it doesn't have butter?
Get some already cook sausage, my kids like the garlic kind or kielbasa rol the puff pastry a little if you like mustard spread a little on it then place a link of the sausage and encase it ith the pastry. Do this til all the pastry is used up, Bake at 350-75 tilpuffed and golden bown time varies with sausage used.Then cut into pieces and serve with more mustard of choice. You can also use the pastry to wrap large olives..
kadesma
Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Another think I like to do with leftover puff pastry is to roll it fairly (but not too) thin and sprinkle it with either cinnamon sugar or a mixture of sugar and finely shaved semi- or bitter-sweet chocolate, put it on a baking sheet flat and bake it at 350 until golden and the topping is caramelized (or melted in the case of the chocolate.

As for your problem, I agree that it is probably a combination of the butterless puff pastry and maybe a bit too much grease and creme fraiche.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

An additional thought: did you roll out the sheet of puff pastry you used, or did you just unfold it and top it?

If you did NOT roll it out, you might try the whole thing again just as before, only roll out the pastry until it is very thin. It will puff up while baking.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Cook

ChefJune,

I thought of that myself and rolled it out thinner last time I made this, and yes, you are right, that did make it puff up - but it always looks good in the oven... I guess I should be more clear. It always puffs in the oven just fine, but when I take it out and serve it, it goes down and gets greasy and flat except on the edges.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

Are you cooking the bacon at least partway before putting it on the tart?

Tags
None