"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Help: Caviar shelf life anyone?

For X-mass as part of a basket of gourmet treats I got a tiny jar of whitefish caviar. Now this is very tasty but Im going through it VERY slowly, like I'll put a few on a cracker and that's it for me for a while. Does this stuff go bad or does the salt keep it? When should I try eating it by?

Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Master Chef

Actually, regardless of type or salt content, once opened, caviar should be consumed within a couple of days.

Fresh unpasteurized caviar that hasn't been opened can last about a week refrigerated, & some types (like salmon & trout) can even be frozen for a couple of months with little difference in taste/quality.

But once you've opened that jar or tin - use it asap. I don't know how long you've been snacking on this particular jar, but you might want to think about bidding it adieu.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Actually, regardless of type or salt content, once opened, caviar should be consumed within a couple of days.

Fresh unpasteurized caviar that hasn't been opened can last about a week refrigerated, & some types (like salmon & trout) can even be frozen for a couple of months with little difference in taste/quality.

But once you've opened that jar or tin - use it asap. I don't know how long you've been snacking on this particular jar, but you might want to think about bidding it adieu.
Ditto.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks a million, Im so paranoid about food and expiration dates (worked in food so you fear for the customer) but that jar has been open for a couple of weeks which I guess means I should chuck it. At least I had a good 1/3 of it and might keep the tiny little jar in case it comes in handy.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

Definitely save the little jar!! I always save them. They come in super handy for saving small amounts of leftovers like tinned anchovies, etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I always save little glass jars! They come in handy for taking small amounts of condiments, herbs and spices when I do a cooking class or cook a dinner off site!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Sous Chef

That's what I was thinking, its perfect for when I make a sauce and have some left over like blending some chipotles in oil or making wasabi.

Tags
None