Help: Caviar shelf life anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
For X-mass as part of a basket of gourmet treats I got a tiny jar of whitefish caviar. Now this is very tasty but Im going through it VERY slowly, like I'll put a few on a cracker and that's it for me for a while. Does this stuff go bad or does the salt keep it? When should I try eating it by?

Actually, regardless of type or salt content, once opened, caviar should be consumed within a couple of days.

Fresh unpasteurized caviar that hasn't been opened can last about a week refrigerated, & some types (like salmon & trout) can even be frozen for a couple of months with little difference in taste/quality.

But once you've opened that jar or tin - use it asap. I don't know how long you've been snacking on this particular jar, but you might want to think about bidding it adieu.

BreezyCooking said:
Actually, regardless of type or salt content, once opened, caviar should be consumed within a couple of days.

Fresh unpasteurized caviar that hasn't been opened can last about a week refrigerated, & some types (like salmon & trout) can even be frozen for a couple of months with little difference in taste/quality.

But once you've opened that jar or tin - use it asap. I don't know how long you've been snacking on this particular jar, but you might want to think about bidding it adieu.
Ditto. :rolleyes:

Thanks a million, Im so paranoid about food and expiration dates (worked in food so you fear for the customer) but that jar has been open for a couple of weeks which I guess means I should chuck it. At least I had a good 1/3 of it and might keep the tiny little jar in case it comes in handy.

Definitely save the little jar!! I always save them. They come in super handy for saving small amounts of leftovers like tinned anchovies, etc.

I always save little glass jars! They come in handy for taking small amounts of condiments, herbs and spices when I do a cooking class or cook a dinner off site!:)

Back
Top Bottom