Help me with Ragout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
As a student of the French language, I understand the meaning of this culinary term, but I'm trying to understand if it's an appetizer or main dish and how exactly to make it. I once had crab ragout (in a puff pastry shell) at a French restaurant as an hors d'oeuvres but I can't seem to find any good recipes. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Recipes? Is it really a main dish? Thanks!!

I always though "ragout" meant a stew or a thick stew-like concoction. I've seen the term applied ad nauseum in restaurants for just about anything. I recently ordered "Crab Ragout En Fond de Tarte" from a local restaurant. The waiter confirmed that it was crab imperial in puff pastry.

Thanks Audeo. Can you explain what crab imperial is, please? I wonder if this is really what I am looking for. Thanks!

Ragoût is defined with accurate conciseness by Jacqueline Hériteau: “A stew made with meat, poultry, or fish, cooked simply [my ital.] with or without vegetables.” (The Cooks Almanac, p. 114)

Crab Imperial – which can be served successfully as an appetizer or an entrée – ranks amongst the more elegant of crab dishes. It is often presented authentically in scallop shells. The ingredient list for my Imperials comprises:

1 lb. lump crab meat
½ green bell pepper
½ pimento
2 green scallions
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp regular Dijon mustard
2-3 drops Tabasco
1½ tsp Worcestershire
chopped fresh parsley, to taste
Sea salt & white pepper, to taste

Basically, the above items are mixed together, spooned into the shells, coated w/ additional mayonnaise to seal in moisture, then baked in a moderate oven until browned.

velochic,

I know your question is was asked about a month ago, but I'm a new member, trying to read up.

Do you think you may have had "Crab Rangoon"? It is a delicious appetizer which is made by mixing crabmeat with cream cheese and wrapping a dollop of that mix in a wonton wrapper, then deep-frying (I've also baked them in the oven, but frying is infinitely superior).

Crab Rangoon is a popular menu item at Chinese restaurants, frequently on pu-pu platters.

Ragout is a stew.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom