"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Old 10-16-2004, 11:51 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon
You will definitely want to go with some cold things and for something warm, a crockpot food, as was mentioned. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Deviled Eggs, but they would go great with ham, potato salad, macaroni salad, etc. One thing that you could do is put a block of cream cheese in the middle of a platter (you may want to do a couple platters) and surround it with Wheat Thin crackers. Then when you get home and are ready to serve, dump a jar of salsa over the cream cheese. This sounded weird to me the first time I tried it, but you wouldn't believe how wonderful this is!

:) Barbara

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef
chicken nuggets (kids love them)
stuffed mushrooms
sweedish meatballs

a couple things I like to make using puff pastry:(allow pastry to thaw)

I take dijon mustard and spread it over the inside of the pastry, then add thin sliced ham (luncheon meat ham), and cheddar cheese, roll it up, brush the outside with and egg wash, bake until brown (yummy).

A dessert I make with puff pastry is called walnut twists. make a mixture of finely chopped walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Brush egg wash onto the pastry. Press the nut mixture onto the pastry. Slice the pastry into 1" wide x 5" long strips. Twist the strips, and bake til golden and puffed. Allow to cool a bit then sprinkle powdered sugar over them. Kids and adults will love these.

Spinach pie is great too, but involves a bit of work with the phyllo dough. All you do is thaw the phyllo dough. Make a mixture of thawed chopped spinach (press out all the water), crumbled feta cheese, cooked chopped onion, 1 egg. Layer approx. 20 sheets of feta in a glass baking pan, brush each layer with melted butter, then add the spinach mixture, and add another 20 layers of phyllo with butter on each sheet. Bake until golden brown. This is best served at room temperature.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #13
Head Chef

Re: the first appetizer, the one with ham, cheese and puff pastry ... Do you slice the roll into pinwheels before you bake it or after?

I have some puff pastry in the freezer and this is a great way to use it.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:30 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions!

marmalady, I would love the recipes for the cherry tomatoes stuffed with rice salad and the two dips you mentioned. Also, the sweet potato biscuits sound great and I think I will do a ham.
Do you also have a recipe for the goat cheese/herb filling you suggested for the little tarts?

Yakuta, the refried beans you suggested sound great as well. Do you serve that warm?

I will be buying a specialty cake made by a friend of mine.

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I think I may be getting my crockpot out for this one too. :-)

Charmante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #15
Would you like a recipe for a mass of clam chowder (made in advance, just keep it on "simmer"), a "spinach dip" likewise made in advance, with pumpernickle bread, hollowed out; "Shirley Temple Cocktail" aka "Horse's Neck" (quickly made!) ...the obvious suggestion of sliced deli meats with various cheeses, buns, and pre-sliced pickles and relishes with a bottle of "normal" and a bottle of "hot" mustard?

At 1400, most people don't want anything greatly "heavy", and, when you're "hosting" you want people to "circulate" and chat...small styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons make the soup go a long ways, a sandwich format reduces the hopeless clean up task, and gives way to an easy way of consuming leftovers, aside from its a fair deal easier in prep time..., and in mid afternoon form, most will just want to "pick" at things...no need to blow the budget!

(Been there, done that!)
Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:25 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Here ya go! Happy Cooking!

RED PEPPER DIP (note - for 30 people, I'd probably double this)

makes 1 ½ cups

3 chopped scallions
1 clove garlic minced
1tsp. olive oil
1 7 oz. jar roasted red peppers
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh thyme
¼ tsp. black pepper
8oz. cream cheese
2T milk

Saute onions, garlic in oil, til tender. Stir in red peppers, salt/pepper, thyme; cook 1 minute. In food processor, add red pepper mixture, milk and cream cheese and process til smooth. Refrigerate for 6-24 hours to blend flavors.

1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2/3 cup cream cheese
2 cans artichoke bottoms, chopped finely
Zest of two lemons
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped chives

Whiz sour cream, mayo, cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, in food processor. Place the mixture in a bowl, and fold in the artichoke bottoms and chives, season w/salt pepper.

(NOTE - the above two can be made 2-3 days in advance)

makes 4 servings

2 cups cold cooked rice
1/2 cup minced red onion*
1/2 cup mined green pepper*
1 cup coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup minced celery*
4 cups romaine lettuce, cut in small pieces*

* remember to keep these all very tiny, so they fit nicely in the cherry tomatoes

** - You could add some tiny baby 'salad' shrimp to this if you like.

½ cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. horseradish
2 tsp. dijon or deli mustard

Combine all salad ingredients; combine dressing ingredients; mix together.

GOAT CHEESE TARTS (I would at least triple this for 30 people)

Makes 20

8oz. goat cheese
3 ounces cream cheese
1T minced scallions
1 clove garlic
1tsp. black pepper
1oz. melted butter
2T minced parsley
1 tsp each minced fresh thyme, basil and oregano
5 7x7 egg roll wrappers*

*If using the premade phyllo cups, just ignore directions for making the egg roll wrappers.

Preheat oven to 350. For filling, mix goat and cream cheese, scallions, garlic mashed, and pepper with a fork.

Brush excess starch off egg roll wrappers and brush with melted butter; cut each into quarters. Fit into mini muffin or mini tart pan, pressing down gently to form a cup. Bake til golden brown and crisp, about 9-10 minutes; transfer to rack and cool.
Fill the cups using a spoon or pastry bag. Sprinkle with parsley. Additional toppings - roasted red pepper, roasted yellow pepper, sliced green olives.

I can't find my recipe for sweet potato biscuits - let me know if you need it, and I'll search some more.

Good luck!

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote