Hot deviled eggs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiklitmanfan

Senior Cook
My favorite hangout as a single guy was a funky college tavern just north of Stanford University called the Dutch Goose. Their bar snacks were superior: keystone steamed clams, flavored popcorns, peanuts in the shell, brat sandwiches, and hot deviled eggs. I bugged the hosts for their deviled egg recipe and finally got a clue to how they were made. They were unbelievable with a cold beer.

METHOD:
Hardboil a dozen eggs (my way to shell them easily? Plunge the boiled eggs directly from the stove into ice-cold water. Crack the eggs all over, gently roll the egg in your hands and the membrane (which makes peeling hard) just falls away from the egg.)
Mayonaise, about 1 tbsp
Coleman's dry mustard, to taste (be careful, this is the first secret ingredient and this stuff is potent/hot)
Dill Pickle juice, about 1 tbsp, this is the second secret ingredient
Salt and pepper, lots of it.

I rough-combine the ingredients and sprinkle on Trader Joe's paprika, which actually has some flavor, unlike other paprikas I've tried.

When I make these for the grandkids, I substitute honey mustard for the Coleman's dry mustard. The kids just devour deviled eggs. They're wonderful with ice cold beer or chilled white wine.

My favorite hangout as a single guy was a funky college tavern just north of Stanford University called the Dutch Goose. Their bar snacks were superior: keystone steamed clams, flavored popcorns, peanuts in the shell, brat sandwiches, and hot deviled eggs. I bugged the hosts for their deviled egg recipe and finally got a clue to how they were made. They were unbelievable with a cold beer.

METHOD:
Hardboil a dozen eggs (my way to shell them easily? Plunge the boiled eggs directly from the stove into ice-cold water. Crack the eggs all over, gently roll the egg in your hands and the membrane (which makes peeling hard) just falls away from the egg.)
Mayonaise, about 1 tbsp
Coleman's dry mustard, to taste (be careful, this is the first secret ingredient and this stuff is potent/hot)
Dill Pickle juice, about 1 tbsp, this is the second secret ingredient
Salt and pepper, lots of it.

I rough-combine the ingredients and sprinkle on Trader Joe's paprika, which actually has some flavor, unlike other paprikas I've tried.

When I make these for the grandkids, I substitute honey mustard for the Coleman's dry mustard. The kids just devour deviled eggs. They're wonderful with ice cold beer or chilled white wine.

Ah, all the right ingredients to get more beer into you!:ROFLMAO:

I always put mustard powder in devilled eggs. I usually use Keen's Mustard, but I haven't really noticed much, if any, difference with Colman's Mustard.

This looks tasty. :yum:

Never had Keen's but Colman's is on the hotter side of the dry mustards I've used. Good stuff. :)

Horseradish powder sounds like a great idea. I'm going to use that one.

And rather then a sprinkle of paprika I think I'd use cayenne powder or perhaps a mixture of both. :chef:

I don't make deviled eggs very often because I love them so much that when I do I end up eating most of them while I'm making them. :pig:

Never had Keen's but Colman's is on the hotter side of the dry mustards I've used. Good stuff. :)

And rather then a sprinkle of paprika I think I'd use cayenne powder or perhaps a mixture of both. :chef:

I don't make deviled eggs very often because I love them so much that when I do I end up eating most of them while I'm making them. :pig:

Do you use the plastic bag trick to fill them Zagut?

Or my favourite, hot paprika.

Kayelle,
I've only used a spoon to fill them in the past but since my simple mind has seen that using a plastic bag would be easy to do I'll most likely give that a try in the future. Heck I might even use one of the pastry tips I've got around here somewhere if I can find them. :LOL:

Taxlady,
I've never seen "Hot paprika". I've seen smoked but never hot. Please tell me where you've found such a creation. Could it be a mixture? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's the lickety split I worry about.

I love deviled eggs so much I think I'd have the corner of the bag over my mouth and piping it in as fast as I could squeeze. :LOL:

I get mine at the local Greek grocery store. I sometimes find it at other grocery stores. This kind:

szeged-hot-paprika-tin-5-oz.jpg

I get mine at the local Greek grocery store. I sometimes find it at other grocery stores. This kind:

szeged-hot-paprika-tin-5-oz.jpg

I bought that brand once and it was full of live bugs.:ohmy: How about using wasabi powder?

I sprinkle dry tomato powder from the spice house on mine sometimes

And the kind I make with wasabi paste in the filling are always really popular

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom