How do I keep guacamole green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
One of my Thanksgiving appetizers will be guacamole, which I would like to make Wednesday night. Do I squeeze a layer of lemon juice on top and/or a little olive oil to keep the nice green color? I've read the "how to" somewhere, but I can't remember. If I have enough room on the Lazy Susan, I'm thinking of serving the guacamole spooned in those little tortilla shells, I think Tostito makes them.

Lee

Oxygen is the darkening agent here. Always put a little lemon or lime juice in the guacamole while mixing. But after it is mixed in whatever recipe you use, smooth the surface of the guacamole flat and take a piece of plastic wrap and place it DIRECTLY on the surface of the guacamole. Then cover the bowl itself with another sheet of plastic across the top.

It will keep nicely in the fridge without discoloration if you always seal the top with plastic...right against the guacamole. Even the smallest amount of air that comes in contact with avacadoes will create discoloration.

I know that you probably dont want to hear this but I'm a firm believer that guacamoli is at its best when made right before serving...You can have all your ingredients chopped and ready to go the night before...and then just add the avacado.

Ah, Audeo, it was the tight-fitting Saran Wrap that I forgot! Thanks!

And chez suz, yeah, it's not a huge deal for me to mix up the guacamole when I get there. I may very well do that. Thanks!

Lee

If you're not going to server it right away, leave the avacado pit in it to help prevent the browning. Squirting an extra dash of lime juice over the top of the guac works the same way.

;)
Z

and if it is discolored, just scrape the very top part off (it's still edible, just ugly) and then stir the rest right before serving.

Avos for thanksgiving - how perfect is THAT?! :D

Zereh said:
If you're not going to server it right away, leave the avacado pit in it to help prevent the browning.

Research in recent years has proven this to be a myth. As Audeo stated, oxygen is the enemy of guacamole. The pit has nothing to do with it.

If you have a foodsaver then you can stick it in one of the canisters. As others have said, it is the air that is your enemy. Since the foodsaver removes the air, the guacamole will stay green.

I always just mix in a little lime juice, garlic, salt, and cayenne. It lasts through the meal and I rarely have leftovers. :)

Back
Top Bottom