How do YOU make nachos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Family Style

One layer of tortilla chips, turn them all upward to cup the ingredients. Slightly overlap in a half sheet pan.

Seasoned cooked ground beef (or venison or ground turkey) sprinkled over top chips.
Top with chopped onion, green red yellow peppers, black olives, refried beans (you can also mix those with the ground beef layer if you like), drained salsa.
Finish with grated cheese: cheddar, motz, colby, havarti.

Bake until cheese just starts to brown. Serve with a large spatula on dinner plates.

Hormel chili without beans, guilty.
I spread a brick of cream cheese in the bottom of a glass pie plate, then comes the Hormel, about 3/4 of a can, then copious amounts of cheddar cheese and jalapeño slices to top. A classic nacho chip dip.

I add diced drained tomatoes as a layer also! Other than that, I make em just like you do. The Hormel chili is just so handy!

Very handy. I keep some rotel canned tomatoes and chilies on hand, too. I'll have to top it with those next time.

Last edited:
I place tortilla chips followed by ground beef (hamburger) fried with taco seasoning add some pico de gallo on top, then the shredded Monterey Cheddar sprinkled (to your liking) and then it's all topped with (jalapeno flavored) black olives, then heat it in either the oven or the microwave (quicker)...you can also add a dopple of sour cream if you wish.

If you've had Red Robin's nacho's, it's pretty close to that. I've always enjoyed those and when they took them away I just thought about the contents from memory and tried it out on hubby one day, he loves them, lol, and there's so many of them we have them as a meal some times, lol.

I have never put ground beef on mine. I have put just about everything else on them. I will have to try that. Same goes for the cream cheese and chili layers.

Not a bad nacho in the house. I will need some time to try all of these different ways to fix nachos! I am having tamallies tonight, and may need to have nachos too. OH which one to try...:pig:

Tortillas topped with left over home-made chili, drizzled with queso, onion, jalapenos, banana peppers, dabs of sour cream, salsa

Base recipe using corn tortilla chips, left over chili, cheese sauce and shredded cheeses.

Everybody adds their favorite toppings, quick melt under the broiler and top with what ever hot sauce you choose. Oh! Wait a minute! It's a Nacho Bar!:rolleyes:

Craig

I make individual nachos. Lay chips on a sheet pan. Each chip gets some hormel chili or cooked taco meat, cheese and jalapeno. Broil until melted. MMM MMM

Yellow corn tortilla chips topped with a black bean mixture, including salsa, lime juice, chopped green chiles, black olives, chili powder, cumin powder, hot sauce, etc., with shredded cheddar on top. Heated on a sheet pan until cheese is melted.

we went the devils/sharks game tonight and had decent nachos; for an arena, that is.

average round corn crisps, topped with loads of melted "cheese", decently ground beef, commercial salsa, sour cream, and pickled jalapenos.

As a general rule I only make nachos after making a batch of homemade chili. I put a couple handfuls of tortilla chips in a microwave safe bowl and cover them with sharp shredded cheddar, nuking just long enough to melt the cheese. Then it's diced onions, a few jalepenos, half a dozen small dollops of sour cream and smother it with chili. Of course, then it gets more onions an a bit more cheddar!:chef:

It makes quite a meal- and you can see why I don't do it very often! :ROFLMAO:

I do like nachos with chilli though the veggie option is just as good. I don't think you miss much when you have a good spicy salsa and a guacamole

Ugh! I have lived in south texas since 1971 and learned the proper way to make nachos many years ago. Nachos are made individually though the ingredients can vary they generally go like this. Lay the chips out on a cookie sheet, each one gets a dollop of refried beans, then a slice of good cheese [not american or velveeta], then a slice of chile [this is a pepper] [it often is pickled jalepeno, but roasted hatch chillies from NM will work nicely]. The whole sheet then is put into an oven set on moderate heat, maybe 250 degrees. When nicely melted, serve. A modification for people who are sensitive to peppers [chillies], is to fry some sliced red and green bell peppers in olive oil and use them instead. That abortion that is called nachos sold at football games give nachos a bad name. By the way, toastitos brand has a new variety of corn chip that already formed into a little cup, perfect.

One of the main differences in nacho recipes, to me, seems to be the cheese used. Some nacho recipes call for a blander very liquidy smoother cheese (velveeta?) that brings out the taste of the jalapeno slices (ball park nachos). Others like the cheese to be more flavorful than that. Both are good with me. Nachos are prepared differently depending on where you get them.

The guy who invented Nachos supposedly had a group of ladies sitting at his restaurant table near closing time and they wanted something to munch on. He was out of all the days fixins for any type of standard fare. He supposedly went in the back and whipped Nachos with what he had left there. They really really enjoyed what he came up with.

Last edited:
I just LOVE nachos, but with all the salt and my too high blood pressure, I just can't do it any more. Dang it!!

I am not sure how much sodium is in the actual tortilla but you can make them yourself. They are way better homemade. I bet you can bake them with a little cooking spray whether you use flour or corn tortillas. you could also do veggie chips! Sauces are limitless too. hoisin,salsa......whatever you can do. I have wondered how a flour tortilla/chip would do in a dehydrator.

I think of them more as a serving idea than a recipe that has to be followed. i have made plenty of funky concoctions that turned out really good. Are they "Nachos" or do we just call them "Chips and goop"? I ponder it with a beer next time I'll make them.

Back
Top Bottom