"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #31
Head Chef

Yellow corn tortilla chips topped with a black bean mixture, including salsa, lime juice, chopped green chiles, black olives, chili powder, cumin powder, hot sauce, etc., with shredded cheddar on top. Heated on a sheet pan until cheese is melted.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

we went the devils/sharks game tonight and had decent nachos; for an arena, that is.

average round corn crisps, topped with loads of melted "cheese", decently ground beef, commercial salsa, sour cream, and pickled jalapenos.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #33
Executive Chef

This thread makes me hungry!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #34
Head Chef

As a general rule I only make nachos after making a batch of homemade chili. I put a couple handfuls of tortilla chips in a microwave safe bowl and cover them with sharp shredded cheddar, nuking just long enough to melt the cheese. Then it's diced onions, a few jalepenos, half a dozen small dollops of sour cream and smother it with chili. Of course, then it gets more onions an a bit more cheddar!

It makes quite a meal- and you can see why I don't do it very often!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I do like nachos with chilli though the veggie option is just as good. I don't think you miss much when you have a good spicy salsa and a guacamole
Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Ugh! I have lived in south texas since 1971 and learned the proper way to make nachos many years ago. Nachos are made individually though the ingredients can vary they generally go like this. Lay the chips out on a cookie sheet, each one gets a dollop of refried beans, then a slice of good cheese [not american or velveeta], then a slice of chile [this is a pepper] [it often is pickled jalepeno, but roasted hatch chillies from NM will work nicely]. The whole sheet then is put into an oven set on moderate heat, maybe 250 degrees. When nicely melted, serve. A modification for people who are sensitive to peppers [chillies], is to fry some sliced red and green bell peppers in olive oil and use them instead. That abortion that is called nachos sold at football games give nachos a bad name. By the way, toastitos brand has a new variety of corn chip that already formed into a little cup, perfect.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #37
Head Chef

One of the main differences in nacho recipes, to me, seems to be the cheese used. Some nacho recipes call for a blander very liquidy smoother cheese (velveeta?) that brings out the taste of the jalapeno slices (ball park nachos). Others like the cheese to be more flavorful than that. Both are good with me. Nachos are prepared differently depending on where you get them.

The guy who invented Nachos supposedly had a group of ladies sitting at his restaurant table near closing time and they wanted something to munch on. He was out of all the days fixins for any type of standard fare. He supposedly went in the back and whipped Nachos with what he had left there. They really really enjoyed what he came up with.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #38
Half Baked

I think I am going to try some with a spicy beschemel,Crab, green onion and some sauteed celery.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just LOVE nachos, but with all the salt and my too high blood pressure, I just can't do it any more. Dang it!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #40
Half Baked

I am not sure how much sodium is in the actual tortilla but you can make them yourself. They are way better homemade. I bet you can bake them with a little cooking spray whether you use flour or corn tortillas. you could also do veggie chips! Sauces are limitless too. hoisin,salsa......whatever you can do. I have wondered how a flour tortilla/chip would do in a dehydrator.

I think of them more as a serving idea than a recipe that has to be followed. i have made plenty of funky concoctions that turned out really good. Are they "Nachos" or do we just call them "Chips and goop"? I ponder it with a beer next time I'll make them.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None