How do YOU make nachos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I have made nachos alot of different ways and with alot of different ingredients.I have made asian ones with straw mushrooms and hoisin sauce. I have made pizza type nachos with red sauce and pizza toppings.
BBQ chicken with green onions.The ingredient list has been endless.

I have also used different methods of cooking them including a cheese sauce for dipping the chips versus baking or broiling the cheese on top the chips. I have made the in piles and as individual nachos.I have microwaved them many times as well.

I guess my "normal" way is too lay some refried beans down on a sheet pan and spread my chips out on top. I then grate some cheddar and then top with some pickled jalapenos and sri hacha sauce. Bake in 450 oven until cheese melts.

What have you tried and what do you like best?

I like black beans drained and warmed up with some salsa and maybe some onions, and then the chips, bean mixture, cheeses, jarred jalapeños, maybe some smoked chicken... all layered into a baking dish and baked. I stack some chips up along the side so some stay crisp. Basically I go with a Mexican themed nachos.

I do drive by nachos for a quick lunch. Tostitos, some mashed beans and/or whatever taco meat bean stuff leftovers, shredded cheese. On low in the MW for a couple minutes, then top with salsa and sour cream.

Plain tortilla chips topped with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a slice or two of jalapeno.

I have nachos any way I can. I just love em. Sometimes I go simple as tortilla chips covered with sharp cheddar and baked until melted. Other times I add salsa or taco meat or re-fried beans, or all three. Sometimes I even fry up my own chips using corn tortillas.
For a quick answer to a craving I have even been caught using the microwave.

Oh I forgot another one that happens sometimes at my house...cream cheese mixed with a can of Hormel chili no beans and melted in the microwave.
And another one; green chili and monterey jack cheese melted in the microwave.
Did I mention I love nachos?

texherp said:
Half a large log of Velveeta cheese melted with 1 can of Rotel and a bag of tortilla chips.

Ah, a classic. Yum!

chopper said:
Oh I forgot another one that happens sometimes at my house...cream cheese mixed with a can of Hormel chili no beans and melted in the microwave.
And another one; green chili and monterey jack cheese melted in the microwave.
Did I mention I love nachos?

And another classic! Nachos good.

My favorite is to use yellow corn chips topped with minced ground beef that's been cooked in lime and corriander and tossed with black beans, a cheese sauce made from moteray jack melted in milk with diced jalapenos and serranos, a little sour cream and a mix of diced tomatoes, onions, cucumber, avocado and cilantro marinated together in a splash of cider vinegar.

Plain tortilla chips topped with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a slice or two of jalapeno.

That is the most authentic way to do it, and honestly, one of my favorite preparations. It's one of those things where it seems some people are trying to reinvent the wheel, but I like the less is more approach on 'em.

Hormel chili without beans, guilty.
I spread a brick of cream cheese in the bottom of a glass pie plate, then comes the Hormel, about 3/4 of a can, then copious amounts of cheddar cheese and jalapeño slices to top. A classic nacho chip dip.

pacanis said:
I spread a brick of cream cheese in the bottom of a glass pie plate, then comes the Hormel, about 3/4 of a can, then copious amounts of cheddar cheese and jalapeño slices to top. A classic nacho chip dip.

Next one to try! So many nacho recipes, so little time...

Listening to my arteries clogging...

Last edited:

Oh if you are going the route of dip, I make the seven layer dip. Bottom layer refried beans seasoned with taco mix, next layer guac, next salsa, next sour cream then sprinkle over the top with chopped spring onions, black olives, chopped tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese.:chef:

Oh if you are going the route of dip, I make the seven layer dip. Bottom layer refried beans seasoned with taco mix, next layer guac, next salsa, next sour cream then sprinkle over the top with chopped spring onions, black olives, chopped tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese.:chef:

OPPS! I forgot the shredded lettuce.

I cook my ground beef with guiness BBQ sauce

Then I grab a cookie sheet, throw the chips on, top with the beef, green olives, orange pepper, and cheese - and repeat once or twice depending on how many people are eating it. I serve with con queso (the cheese sauce stuff), salsa, and sour cream.

So I toss some tostidos onto a paper plate. Sprinkle on the mexican cheese blend and pop in the nuker for a minute. Plop on the sour cream and salsa.

It can't be good for ya, but oh well.. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom